F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Powered lift gate question

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2019, 07:52 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Powered lift gate question

Hello everybody, I know it's probably not worth it but I was thinking about looking into retrofitting powered lift gate, does anyone know if it will need coding (this is the make it or break it) and where the control box would be normally located if optioned from factory as well as where it hooks into the harness (assuming its not a completely different harness).

Thanks

Old 12-05-2019, 04:43 PM
Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts

What do you mean by 'retrofitted?' I thought all of the F-Type coupes were powered in both directions.

Old 12-05-2019, 04:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,226 Likes on 2,380 Posts

Originally Posted by mbelanger
What do you mean by 'retrofitted?' I thought all of the F-Type coupes were powered in both directions.
If you are still talking about the lift gate (or hatch) on the coupe as opposed to forward and reverse gears then no, the powered hatch is and was always an option and the standard set up is manual operation.
On the powered hatch the electric motors are in the lift struts which cost a bundle, but I think the OP might be right about possibly needing harness/wiring/SDD coding as well.

The following users liked this post:
Carbuff2 (12-05-2019)
Old 12-05-2019, 04:53 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,481 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Originally Posted by mbelanger
I thought all of the F-Type coupes were powered in both directions.
Mine doesn't have it.

Old 12-05-2019, 07:16 PM

I believe that if you have a base it would have to be chosen as an option but I'm not sure. Im gonna disassemble my liftgate probably next week (cross my fingers my VAP exhaust also comes too lol). I'll take some pictures here and IF this retrofit is actually viable I'll throw up a DIY if anybody needs it. What I'm concerned about right now is either not having the wires that connect to the control boxes, not having the actual female connectors from the car for the electronic actuators, or honestly both; I guess we'll see. If all that of that pans out then I just have to do the expensive part which is actually pick up a set up for programming (topix subscription for programming with sdd, an interface (probably going with da-dongle unless someones got a better option that doesn't cost an arm and a leg, and a power supply (probably going with the dealer midtronic psc550); never thought that programming might be more expensive than the actual physical car parts haha

Old 12-05-2019, 07:28 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by justanurse
I believe that if you have a base it would have to be chosen as an option but I'm not sure. Im gonna disassemble my liftgate probably next week (cross my fingers my VAP exhaust also comes too lol). I'll take some pictures here and IF this retrofit is actually viable I'll throw up a DIY if anybody needs it. What I'm concerned about right now is either not having the wires that connect to the control boxes, not having the actual female connectors from the car for the electronic actuators, or honestly both; I guess we'll see. If all that of that pans out then I just have to do the expensive part which is actually pick up a set up for programming (topix subscription for programming with sdd, an interface (probably going with da-dongle unless someones got a better option that doesn't cost an arm and a leg, and a power supply (probably going with the dealer midtronic psc550); never thought that programming might be more expensive than the actual physical car parts haha
I'm not sure it is worth all the expense and hassle.
You need to be verrrrry careful using SDD as it's easy for a noob to brick one or more modules (Cambo can explain) and although I have the powered tailgate I find it to be more a novelty than a "must have" and I could easily live without it.
Others have commented that it is sloooooow and I agree.

Old 12-05-2019, 09:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by OzXFR
I'm not sure it is worth all the expense and hassle.
You need to be verrrrry careful using SDD as it's easy for a noob to brick one or more modules (Cambo can explain) and although I have the powered tailgate I find it to be more a novelty than a "must have" and I could easily live without it.
Others have commented that it is sloooooow and I agree.
Agreed, if I could have configured my car without the power hatch, I would have (useless extra weight). I’m not certain why anyone would need it. Power doors would have made more sense, but silly nonetheless.

Old 12-05-2019, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Agreed, if I could have configured my car without the power hatch, I would have (useless extra weight). I’m not certain why anyone would need it. Power doors would have made more sense, but silly nonetheless.
you guys are making me rethink probably for the better, maybe I’ll just try to activate ambient lighting for the interior that shouldn’t add weight lol. Adding extra weight would probably defeat the overall purpose of the tune and pulley upgrade on the way :/

Old 12-05-2019, 09:22 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by justanurse
you guys are making me rethink probably for the better, maybe I’ll just try to activate ambient lighting for the interior that shouldn’t add weight lol. Adding extra weight would probably defeat the overall purpose of the tune and pulley upgrade on the way :/
Well, I’m not certain 20 or 30 extra pounds will negate very much of the positive effect of a pulley/tune, but you get the general idea.

justanurse (12-05-2019)
Old 12-07-2019, 08:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 992 Likes on 742 Posts

I too would have ordered without the powered hatch (extra weight with minimal added value) but that was not an option (pun intended).

Old 12-07-2019, 10:38 AM
Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by lizzardo
I too would have ordered without the powered hatch (extra weight with minimal added value) but that was not an option (pun intended).
OK, gotta ask, a couple of you have mentioned that getting the car without the power hatch was not an option on the "16 S w/ the MT. I have the same car but mine does not have it (thankfully). I bought mine CPO, so I'm curious, what's the deal?

Old 12-07-2019, 10:49 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by rbsj
OK, gotta ask, a couple of you have mentioned that getting the car without the power hatch was not an option on the "16 S w/ the MT. I have the same car but mine does not have it (thankfully). I bought mine CPO, so I'm curious, what's the deal?
It was part of the "Premium + Vision Pack." That had some things I had to have, but even though I was special ordering, I could not order a la carte.

Pauluucho (01-03-2022)
Old 12-07-2019, 05:47 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by lizzardo
It was part of the "Premium + Vision Pack." That had some things I had to have, but even though I was special ordering, I could not order a la carte.
+1.

Old 12-07-2019, 07:58 PM
Veteran Member

Now if they combined the power hatch with either gesture or voice operated open then I would be a fan.
Some fairly low-rent hatches (Kia? Hyundai?) allow you to open the hatch by waving your leg under the back end, which would come in handy for me when I am loaded up with two full bags of groceries in one hand and a slab tucked under the other arm!

Old 12-07-2019, 08:05 PM
Veteran Member

Now if they combined the power hatch with either gesture or voice operated open then I would be a fan.
Some fairly low-rent hatches (Kia? Hyundai?) allow you to open the hatch by waving your leg under the back end, which would come in handy for me when I am loaded up with two full bags of groceries in one hand and a slab tucked under the other arm!
Just went to the SF Auto Show last weekend and looked at lots of cars. At least one Hyundai has keyless entry and if you stand by the rear hatch for a few seconds, it just opens. No dancing required.

Old 12-08-2019, 12:28 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,112 Likes on 1,410 Posts

The XE does this.

Old 12-08-2019, 12:37 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DJS
The XE does this.
So if Jag's bottom of the range car has it surely they can put in the halo car F-Type!

Old 12-08-2019, 05:22 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,481 Likes on 1,121 Posts

So if Jag's bottom of the range car has it surely they can put in the halo car F-Type!
But the F-Type is a driver's car, not a load carrier!

Carbuff2 (12-08-2019)
Old 12-08-2019, 08:09 AM
Banned
Received 425 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by scm
But the F-Type is a driver's car, not a load carrier!
Well, at least mine isn't--since the divorce.

The following 2 users liked this post by fujicoupe:
Noshame (12-09-2019), Pauluucho (01-03-2022)
Old 12-08-2019, 12:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,261 Likes on 1,366 Posts

Originally Posted by DJS
The XE does this.
So does the F-Pace.

Quick Reply: Powered lift gate question