Sponsored by:

PPF and emblem/badge removal

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 12:48 PM
Tel
Received 233 Likes on 143 Posts
Post PPF and emblem/badge removal

Hi all,

I'm currently contemplating a full wrap with Suntek PPF once I pick the car up. Spent ages trawling the web and the forums and it seems to be a good quality product. I wonder if anyone else has any prior knowledge or experience of this self healing film?

Also, I intend to remove the emblems on the boot lid and rear valances. I think a little heat and a plastic 'teasing' tool should do the trick.
Whilst the emblems are off and once the car has been covered, I intend to replace them with black items. I see that on eGay I can get good quality black leapers, wheel centres and front grille badge, but am struggling to find the word "Jaguar'' that sits under the leaper and ''F-Type'' words in black - any ideas?

I'm reluctant to permanently change the original chrome ones i.e spray or plastic dip them. I haven't tried wrapping them in Solar film (for model aircraft) or similar yet, I guess it will be too fiddly?

Old 04-15-2015, 12:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 179 Likes on 153 Posts

Have them wrapped?

Old 04-15-2015, 12:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 295 Likes on 233 Posts

If you didn't want to wrap them, just order some "spare" OEMs from the dealer and have them sprayed or coated.

Old 04-15-2015, 01:00 PM
Received 123 Likes on 99 Posts

a heat gun and fishing line is the easiest way to remove emblems. you will need to detail the areas once you have all of the adhesive removed.

here is a good video on the process.

Old 04-15-2015, 01:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Heat and dental floss works real well too.

Old 04-15-2015, 01:47 PM
Received 97 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by lhoboy
Heat and dental floss works real well too.
Agree. Dental floss, especially the more waxy kind like "Glide," works great for that back n' forth movement and its ribbon is easy to grip.

Old 04-15-2015, 01:52 PM
Received 243 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by Tel
Hi all,

I'm currently contemplating a full wrap with Suntek PPF once I pick the car up. Spent ages trawling the web and the forums and it seems to be a good quality product. I wonder if anyone else has any prior knowledge or experience of this self healing film?

Also, I intend to remove the emblems on the boot lid and rear valances. I think a little heat and a plastic 'teasing' tool should do the trick.
Whilst the emblems are off and once the car has been covered, I intend to replace them with black items. I see that on eGay I can get good quality black leapers, wheel centres and front grille badge, but am struggling to find the word "Jaguar'' that sits under the leaper and ''F-Type'' words in black - any ideas?

I'm reluctant to permanently change the original chrome ones i.e spray or plastic dip them. I haven't tried wrapping them in Solar film (for model aircraft) or similar yet, I guess it will be too fiddly?

Why are you electing to wrap with Suntec. I realize PPF options change every time a mfg. changes the formulation of their film or offers something new, but based on my extensive research, Suntec would not be first or my second choice. Xpel Ultimate seems to be the clear leader in this field.

Old 04-15-2015, 02:53 PM
Tel

Thanks for the good ideas re removing the badges - I think dental tape would be even better than floss, it's flat section, thinner than floss and about 1.5mm wide. That said, gently 'prying' with heat may conserve the foam adhesive, I'm not sure.

Can a plastic dip be removed from say a chrome badge?

Originally Posted by IronMike
Why are you electing to wrap with Suntec. I realize PPF options change every time a mfg. changes the formulation of their film or offers something new, but based on my extensive research, Suntec would not be first or my second choice. Xpel Ultimate seems to be the clear leader in this field.
We don't have that much choice over this side of the pond. I think most PPF's come from the USA. I'd be interested to see some evidence from your extensive research that shows Suntek not to be up there with XU - I'm all ears.

Old 04-15-2015, 03:48 PM
Received 147 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by IronMike
This is not true. Actually Suntec PPF-C is an excellent film.

I have both - Suntec on my BMW and Xpel Ultimate on my Jag.

The Suntec has far superior clarity - from a finish perspective you can't beat it. It is also better at self-healing and heals faster than the Xpel Ultimate. The only advantage of the XPEL is that it seems a little tougher and will fare better against high speed small projectiles.

One of my friends got Suntek on his M5, and then had his Infiniti re-done because he thought it was so much better than the existing Xpel Ultimate.

Old 04-15-2015, 04:17 PM
Received 121 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Tel
Thanks for the good ideas re removing the badges - I think dental tape would be even better than floss, it's flat section, thinner than floss and about 1.5mm wide. That said, gently 'prying' with heat may conserve the foam adhesive, I'm not sure.

Can a plastic dip be removed from say a chrome badge?

We don't have that much choice over this side of the pond. I think most PPF's come from the USA. I'd be interested to see some evidence from your extensive research that shows Suntek not to be up there with XU - I'm all ears.
I would try and avoid any prying, the risk of damaging the bodywork is much higher. I've found that fishing line is the best to remove badges, it is very strong and slick, and will quickly remove the badges with no heat necessary. You will most likely not be able to preserve the adhesive regardless of the method you choose.

When I removed the "Jaguar" emblem from the rear of my car, I found them the easiest badges I've ever removed. The adhesive seemed very weak, and the letters popped right off with most of the adhesive still attached to the lettering. A little bit of Goo-Gone removed the remaining adhesive easily.

Plasti-Dip can easily be removed from any surface, including chrome badges, by peeling it off. However, the finish isn't gloss, and even if you use their gloss coat it will not be to the same standard as paint.

Old 04-15-2015, 04:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 334 Likes on 232 Posts

I would love to have all my trim gloss black but wouldn't be happy with anything except a factory-looking type finish...

Old 04-16-2015, 12:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by BierNut
When I removed the "Jaguar" emblem from the rear of my car, I found them the easiest badges I've ever removed. The adhesive seemed very weak, and the letters popped right off with most of the adhesive still attached to the lettering. A little bit of Goo-Gone removed the remaining adhesive easily.
LOL, part of the reason I removed the JAGUAR lettering was it was already falling off!

Old 04-16-2015, 08:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,604 Likes on 861 Posts

Originally Posted by shift
LOL, part of the reason I removed the JAGUAR lettering was it was already falling off!
Surely you're joking? (I'm sure you're not if you posted that here but really....not a good sign).

BTW, I too have Suntec wrapped on various pieces of my car - and my guy used, for the most part, Suntec templates. Overall I am quite pleased with the clarity and installation of it but:

1) he wrapped several pieces neatly where you can't see the edge but using the Suntec templates there are a few spots where it comes to an abrupt/sharp end and it's more noticable. Not enough to bother me (too much) - it bothers my wife more than it bothers me - and 2) there are 3 tiny areas; 1 on each side of the front lower fender and 1 on the bottom of the driver's side rocker panel) where the film appears to be "bubbling" off. These are small BUT definitely something which requires his attention, which he's stated he will do. Whatever that means.

Happy to have the added protection.

Old 04-17-2015, 09:16 AM
Tel

RickyJay - I wonder if you can highlight where the edges show?

I would have loved someone to cover mine by hand, and wrap all the edges, however I'm being told that the edges would lift and the cost would be inhibitive?
Thus, I'm stuck with template cut PPF.

You think they could enlarge all templates by about an inch to give sufficent material to do the edges...?

Old 04-17-2015, 09:45 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Tel
RickyJay - I wonder if you can highlight where the edges show?

I would have loved someone to cover mine by hand, and wrap all the edges, however I'm being told that the edges would lift and the cost would be inhibitive?
Thus, I'm stuck with template cut PPF.

You think they could enlarge all templates by about an inch to give sufficent material to do the edges...?
Be happy to Tel; as soon as I can take some photos (tomorrow) I will post. Been driving the F-Type to and from work recently, but not today...rain (not that I really care that it's raining).

I vetted my installer best I could, given the small State of Maine, and he has been in the detailing (window tinting and PPF) business for over 25 years. He did, overall, I think do an excellent job, even if he said doing the F-Type was the most difficult job he's ever done.

Using Suntec, as you will see when I post the photos, the template he used which ends abruptly are on both fenders (it's actually surprising that they end where they do; and do plan on chatting with him about them). He did an excellent job in covering, and over-wrapping, the full hood (he even took off the vents to wrap under those) and other than 3 tiny spots where the film is ever-so-slightly "bubbling", which needs to be addressed, I'm happy with the job he did, along with the protection that it provides (even if I don't have a Garage Queen and expect who-knows-what-from-where).

I did;

Full hood
Full Front Bumper
Both Fenders
Door Rocker Panels
Headlamps
Side-View Mirrors

$2,000.

Look for pictures soon and hope this helps.

Best regards,
Jay

Old 04-17-2015, 06:41 PM
Veteran Member

Taken from just the drivers side front fender (the passenger side is exactly the same). Yes it's noticeable but not enough to bother me (like I said, it bothers my wife more than me) and you'd really need to be up close to see the "line".

Attached Thumbnails PPF and emblem/badge removal-front-fender-1.jpg   PPF and emblem/badge removal-front-fender-2.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
Tel (04-18-2015)
Old 04-17-2015, 06:46 PM
Veteran Member

While these "bubbles" (for lack of a better term) are quite small, they are a bit bothersome to me and my installer intends to rectify them soon.

Attached Thumbnails PPF and emblem/badge removal-left-bubble.jpg   PPF and emblem/badge removal-right-bubble.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
Tel (04-18-2015)
Old 04-18-2015, 07:24 AM
Tel

Jay,

Thank you for taking the time to share the pictures; as they say 'They speak a thousand words'

I'm suprised by just how much the appernet 'metallic pop' light reflection is 'skewed', to my eyes at least. It almost looks like another product has been used, or it has a differnet polorisation?

Is the bubble perhaps a result of a stone hitting the PPF I wonder?

Old 04-18-2015, 08:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 210 Likes on 164 Posts

I just de badged the boot ( Trunk ) of my X type " Spirit " . I sawed through the backing with fine strong button thread ( or use fishing line ). I removed the remaining adhesive backing residue with " white sprit " ( or WD40 ) don't use Cellulose or acrylic thinners , as these will attack the clear coat / paint .) I then cleaned all the areas with Pinnacle car body cleansing lotion , followed by a coat of Pinnacle wax. ....Perfect.

I removed the X Type , AWD & 2.5 badges , but left the small "Sprit " badge , just to confuse the witnesses ??? LOL //

Old 04-18-2015, 11:41 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Tel
Jay,

Thank you for taking the time to share the pictures; as they say 'They speak a thousand words'

I'm suprised by just how much the appernet 'metallic pop' light reflection is 'skewed', to my eyes at least. It almost looks like another product has been used, or it has a differnet polorisation?

Is the bubble perhaps a result of a stone hitting the PPF I wonder?
My pleasure Tel and apologies for the late reply; been tied up all day and much of the night...including putting about 100 miles on the F-Type today.

Forgive me but I don't quite understand what you mean when you say "apparnet 'metallic pop' light reflection is 'skewed'..." and what you suggest "looks like another product has been used, or it has a different polorisation". I'm almost 100% certain - although anything is possible - that Suntek was used all around (if that's what you're referring to?) but I can certainly ask my installer who I hope to see soon.

Lastly, those small bubbles aren't the result of a stone hitting them - at least I can't imagine that they are - as they are almost exactly in the same spot on either side of the front lower bumper. I'll let you know what the installer says about them ASAP.

Best regards,
Jay

Quick Reply: PPF and emblem/badge removal