Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PPF and emblem/badge removal

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2015, 02:06 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Tel
Hi all,

I'm currently contemplating a full wrap with Suntek PPF once I pick the car up. Spent ages trawling the web and the forums and it seems to be a good quality product. I wonder if anyone else has any prior knowledge or experience of this self healing film?

Also, I intend to remove the emblems on the boot lid and rear valances. I think a little heat and a plastic 'teasing' tool should do the trick.
Whilst the emblems are off and once the car has been covered, I intend to replace them with black items. I see that on eGay I can get good quality black leapers, wheel centres and front grille badge, but am struggling to find the word "Jaguar'' that sits under the leaper and ''F-Type'' words in black - any ideas?

I'm reluctant to permanently change the original chrome ones i.e spray or plastic dip them. I haven't tried wrapping them in Solar film (for model aircraft) or similar yet, I guess it will be too fiddly?
Hi Tel, could you please post pics of the back debadged and/or with the blackened badges? I am thinking of doing the same when I bring my F-Type for Xpel and Opticoat coating on Thu April 23. Thanks!

Old 04-19-2015, 11:51 AM
Received 243 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by Tel
I would have loved someone to cover mine by hand, and wrap all the edges, however I'm being told that the edges would lift and the cost would be inhibitive?
Thus, I'm stuck with template cut PPF.

You think they could enlarge all templates by about an inch to give sufficent material to do the edges...?
If an installer is steering you away from doing the edges, your talking to the wrong guy... either lazy, or not interested in putting in the effort to do a nice job. I suggest you look for a different installer.
The more accomplished installers can and do alter the templates, adding an approx. 1" wide tab to the edges that can be wrapped. I've seen the pattern for the F-Type with this amendment. Do keep in mind that there are some edges that simply can't be wrapped, usually because they are inaccessible.

Originally Posted by RickyJay52
Taken from just the drivers side front fender (the passenger side is exactly the same). Yes it's noticeable but not enough to bother me (like I said, it bothers my wife more than me) and you'd really need to be up close to see the "line".
It is my understanding that the hood of the F-Type is longer than the roll of film is wide. And because the hood wraps down the side of the vehicle to the vents, it is even wider than it is long, thus the film off the roll can only be applied in one direction, which leaves the film a few inches short at the top corners of the hood.
Even if someone uses bulk film (rather than a template), if the roll truly is not wide enough to cover all the way to the top corners of the hood, then you are left with the choice of applying two additional small pieces at those top corners (one each side), of leaving it as is. Every PPF installer I've spoke with has said that burnishing down the edge of the film is usually better (less noticeable) than creating an open seam between two separate pieces of film.

I have Ebony paint. Can't hardly detect this edge except when the light hits it just right.

Your air bubbles are pretty routine. The front of the F-Type is one of the more intricate body panels to wrap, and its not unusual for a few imperfections to surface. Some air pockets will cure themselves as the film cures and settles to the car. My installer offered a free follow-up service to attend to any issues like this. Most are easily solved.

Old 04-19-2015, 05:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,604 Likes on 861 Posts

Hey IronMike.

My installer plans a follow up visit soon and I take it he will resolve the few small issues I have. I call them "bubbles" but they actually resemble small "tips" of the film which appear more "crusted" than "bubbles". I also have one edge on the drivers side rocker panel which appears "crusted" as well...and thst definitely requires attention.

He did wrap edges in several places and, like I said and overall, think he did a pretty good job. Pretty good bordering on excellent.

Best regards,
Jay

Old 04-21-2015, 08:09 AM
Tel
Received 233 Likes on 143 Posts

Thanks Iron Mike. Everyone wanst to use either Suntek or Xpel, which is fine, however they seem to only want to template cut. If you look at the library, only about 85% of the car is covered, which is pretty daft. Even the DRS and rear venturi is not covered, and that is one area that does attract the rash!
They even leave the badges on and have a big rectangle cut in the flat panel on the boot for example that really stands out I should imagine.

You guys are very fortunate on your side of the pond...I'm struggling on our 'wee island' to find anyone that wants to do the job 'properly' :-(

Old 04-21-2015, 11:08 AM
Received 243 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by Tel
Thanks Iron Mike. Everyone wanst to use either Suntek or Xpel, which is fine, however they seem to only want to template cut. If you look at the library, only about 85% of the car is covered, which is pretty daft. Even the DRS and rear venturi is not covered, and that is one area that does attract the rash!
They even leave the badges on and have a big rectangle cut in the flat panel on the boot for example that really stands out I should imagine.

You guys are very fortunate on your side of the pond...I'm struggling on our 'wee island' to find anyone that wants to do the job 'properly' :-(
Before my car was wrapped, the Badges were all removed and we purchased a replacement set. To work around the cut-outs in the Templates, the installer simply downloaded the template file to his computer, then amended the file before sending it to his cutting machine, adding tabs at the edges where he intended to wrap the film, and deleting the badge cut-out from the file.

Old 04-22-2015, 08:58 PM
Received 102 Likes on 66 Posts

I painted mine gloss black. Highly recommend.

Old 04-29-2015, 08:28 PM
Veteran Member
Default Suntek Installation Update

Within a week or two of acquiring my 2015 V6S back last October I found a local installer to wrap the car (what I did listed elsewhere) with Suntek. And, as previously posted, I had a few minor issues which needed tending to. I'm delighted to report that my installer came to the house today and spent about two hours correcting those minor spots (what I've deemed "bubbles") and she looks absolutely fabulous. He then went over other parts just to make sure all else looked great (it did). We (I) surmised that when he applied the Suntek in the first place - late October/early November - it had already turned quite cold and maybe the film simply didn't adhere perfectly given the temperatures, even though it had ample cure time. Dunno. In any event I am one happy customer!

Old 04-29-2015, 09:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 295 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by RickyJay52
Within a week or two of acquiring my 2015 V6S back last October I found a local installer to wrap the car (what I did listed elsewhere) with Suntek. And, as previously posted, I had a few minor issues which needed tending to. I'm delighted to report that my installer came to the house today and spent about two hours correcting those minor spots (what I've deemed "bubbles") and she looks absolutely fabulous. He then went over other parts just to make sure all else looked great (it did). We (I) surmised that when he applied the Suntek in the first place - late October/early November - it had already turned quite cold and maybe the film simply didn't adhere perfectly given the temperatures, even though it had ample cure time. Dunno. In any event I am one happy customer!
Glad to hear everything worked out to your satisfaction! Nothing beats being a happy, satisfied customer!

Old 04-29-2015, 09:28 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by IronMike

It is my understanding that the hood of the F-Type is longer than the roll of film is wide. And because the hood wraps down the side of the vehicle to the vents, it is even wider than it is long, thus the film off the roll can only be applied in one direction, which leaves the film a few inches short at the top corners of the hood.
Even if someone uses bulk film (rather than a template), if the roll truly is not wide enough to cover all the way to the top corners of the hood, then you are left with the choice of applying two additional small pieces at those top corners (one each side), of leaving it as is. Every PPF installer I've spoke with has said that burnishing down the edge of the film is usually better (less noticeable) than creating an open seam between two separate pieces of film.
I have to take a very careful look at my Xpel install, but I swear the entire hood is covered with one single piece. I KNOW the ENTIRE hood is covered, and I didn't see any seams. Now I'm curious and have to go look very very carefully.

Old 04-29-2015, 09:29 PM
Veteran Member

Indeed, and thank you TXJagR. I wasn't unhappy - like I've said, I think he did a splendid job overall - as I knew my installer was going to make it right. Which he definitely did. And I am glad you're a satisfied customer, not that I had any doubts whatsoever!

Best regards,
Jay

Last edited by RickyJay52; 04-29-2015 at 09:31 PM.
Old 04-29-2015, 09:36 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by TXJagR
I have to take a very careful look at my Xpel install, but I swear the entire hood is covered with one single piece. I KNOW the ENTIRE hood is covered, and I didn't see any seams. Now I'm curious and have to go look very very carefully.
IronMike is quite right. In my [Suntek] case, there are those abrupt cut-offs which I posted a picture of which end on the top portion of the fenders just before it meets the doors. My entire hood is covered but those cut-offs are there (and barely noticeable). They just don't bother me in the least.

Last edited by RickyJay52; 04-29-2015 at 09:41 PM.
Old 04-29-2015, 11:20 PM
Veteran Member

I just got home from work and looked over every square inch of my hood. There are NO seams anywhere, and it is completely covered and the edges rolled. It is one continuous piece of film. (Xpel Ultimate)

Old 04-30-2015, 03:59 PM
Veteran Member

I just got home from work and looked over every square inch of my hood. There are NO seams anywhere, and it is completely covered and the edges rolled. It is one continuous piece of film. (Xpel Ultimate)
That's terrific TXJagR, happy you're happy.

In the beginning, just after I got my car, I went "shopping" for either XPEL or Suntek - simply based on the research I garnered mostly from this Forum and some outside 'net' sources too - and here in the State of Maine I was rather limited to installers. There were several in MA but after talking with my guy who has been in the business of window tinting, filming, etc. for 25 years...well, I felt confident in him and [he] with Suntek. While I can, in retrospect, wish he had covered/rolled all the edges (he did wrap where he could) and used the Suntek templates for the F-Type, I do think that he did an excellent (9/10) job. Without the benefit of seeing either wrap in person, I naturally had to take a certain leap of faith. Which, from time to time, many of us do. Happy to have a little added "protection", come what may.

Best regards,
Jay

Last edited by RickyJay52; 04-30-2015 at 05:18 PM.
Old 04-30-2015, 05:10 PM
Veteran Member

RickyJay52, Hope I didn't come off wrong. I didn't mean to sound like mine was special or better. Just wanted to let everyone know that it can be done without seams (at least with Xpel) if you find the right installer.

Personally, seams or not, I've seen in just a few short days the amount of bugs and just plain dirt that this car attracts, and I'd never want to drive "unprotected".

Old 04-30-2015, 05:15 PM
Veteran Member

RickyJay52, Hope I didn't come off wrong. I didn't mean to sound like mine was special or better. Just wanted to let everyone know that it can be done without seams (at least with Xpel) if you find the right installer.

Personally, seams or not, I've seen in just a few short days the amount of bugs and just plain dirt that this car attracts, and I'd never want to drive "unprotected".
Not in the least and not for one second! It's all good. Scratch that (pun intended now that I think about it and since you have XPEL, nothing to worry about)..it's all great!

Last edited by RickyJay52; 05-01-2015 at 04:05 AM.
Old 04-30-2015, 07:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

How did you guys get the car over to the wrap shop without buggering up (all interpretations intended) the paint?

Old 04-30-2015, 07:50 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by lhoboy
How did you guys get the car over to the wrap shop without buggering up (all interpretations intended) the paint?
In my case the shop was 45+ min north of where I live and I didn't have to contend with bugs but snow (and ice) as Maine got hit the day I took the car in - we're talking late October - in a nasty way. Fun driving it there I can tell you that!

The following users liked this post:
Unhingd (04-30-2015)
Old 04-30-2015, 08:05 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by lhoboy
I had the install done before I took delivery. The place that did the install was coordinated by the dealer, and it's literally 100 yards from the dealer.

The following users liked this post:
Unhingd (04-30-2015)
Old 04-30-2015, 08:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

I had the install done before I took delivery. The place that did the install was coordinated by the dealer, and it's literally 100 yards from the dealer.
Not so fortunate here. My dealer couldn't even recommend an installer. I was shocked. Fortunately there is an XPel installer within 5 miles of the dealer. I guess I'll just drive slowly and well back from anyone on my drive over there.

Old 05-01-2015, 12:31 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Just had mine coated with Xpel Ultimate. I'll echo that the hood can be done in one piece without seams and edge wrapped. My installer also buffed out any pain defects and swirls from 1 car wash prior to putting on the Xpel. I also recommend Modesta coating on top of the Xpel. Apparently it is glossier than Opti-coat and Cquartz and lasts longer than both, though more expensive.

Quick Reply: PPF and emblem/badge removal