F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pre-Purchase Inspection - What F-Type specific things to ask for?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2021, 03:35 PM
Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Pre-Purchase Inspection - What F-Type specific things to ask for?

I'm looking at a 2016 pre-production F-Type V6S Coupe MT. I am not going to have eyes on it until it gets delivered. Beyond the basics, what are some F-Type specific things that I should have them check? I was planning having the PPI done at a dealership (Jaguar Orland Park, not affiliated seller). Is having it done at a dealership a good idea or bad idea?
Thanks for any suggestions you may have and hopefully I'll join the owners' club soon!

Old 03-24-2021, 05:51 PM
Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by danmandle
I'm looking at a 2016 pre-production F-Type V6S Coupe MT. I am not going to have eyes on it until it gets delivered. Beyond the basics, what are some F-Type specific things that I should have them check? I was planning having the PPI done at a dealership (Jaguar Orland Park, not affiliated seller). Is having it done at a dealership a good idea or bad idea?
Thanks for any suggestions you may have and hopefully I'll join the owners' club soon!
Pre-production? As in media car or something similar? If so, you need to find out if it has ever had the clutch assembly replaced. A search on this forum will give you all the information on this you'll ever want. The first generation clutches on the '16's were not good. If its got any kind of miles it's likely been replaced. T'16he only other big issue would be to make sure the differential has no signs of leaking (change of seals and fluid). Cars pretty solid otherwise.

Are you considering the grey '16 S MT at the Volkswagon dealership in Joliet, Illinois and having it looked at by the Orland Park Jag dealer?

Old 03-25-2021, 09:22 AM
Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rbsj
Pre-production? As in media car or something similar? If so, you need to find out if it has ever had the clutch assembly replaced. A search on this forum will give you all the information on this you'll ever want. The first generation clutches on the '16's were not good. If its got any kind of miles it's likely been replaced. T'16he only other big issue would be to make sure the differential has no signs of leaking (change of seals and fluid). Cars pretty solid otherwise.
I've been reading through the clutch thread. Doesn't seem like there's a good way to verify that the clutch has been replaced except that this F-Type has 36k miles on it which sounds like longer than the first gen clutch assemblies last.

Most of the MT V6S that I've seen become available recently are all per-production. Most of them have, or have had, CPO warranties. This one interestingly did not. The Carfax tells an curious story too: First entry is from 08/12/2015 in Georgia at 5,000 mi. Was there until it was sold at auction on 08/15/2016 at 8,500 mi. Went to California and was soon after registered by its first owner. During the first owner's stint (8,500 - 23,898 mi), there are zero Carfax entries. Second owner bought it in 10/2019 and put around 11k miles on it until he traded it into the dealer it's currently sold by. Carfax reports regular maintenance plus a "Engine/powertrain computer/module replaced". The mileage intervals on the Carfax report for the second owner give me some confidence in the car.

Originally Posted by rbsj
Are you considering the grey '16 S MT at the Volkswagon dealership in Joliet, Illinois and having it looked at by the Orland Park Jag dealer?
Don't give away my secrets! (EDIT: I guess I gave away my secret in my OP about Orland Park) I know that there are at least two other people who are jockeying to get it too. I spoke with Orland Park Jag about the PPI yesterday. My conversation with them left me with a very sour taste in my mouth. Having another dealer in the area take a look at it. Looks like you might be in the area too. It had regular service at Hinsdale but they're booked up and I couldn't get the PPI done there. Currently looking at Naperville.

Last edited by danmandle; 03-25-2021 at 09:29 AM.
The following users liked this post:
bobradder2 (05-15-2021)
Old 03-25-2021, 12:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts

This is silly, but check to make sure the fog lamp works, as well as the indicator on the dash. My 2016 f-type glitched out with that.
Also, check what recalls and updates have been done. I had an O2 update on my 2016 that bricked the engine and ended up having Jag buy me a brand new 2019. crazy story.

Weirdest thing... my 2016 MT and your car was on the same boat. I took delivery on the 12th of August 2015, a Wednesday. I immediately threw a suitcase in it and drove to Tahoe. That day. LOL

The take rate on manuals was <4%, so you've got a legend of a car there.
The GT3 take rate was 70%
https://www.thedrive.com/news/39478/...l-transmission

Maybe it was the goofy marketing Jag did?
https://www.autoguide.com/blog/wp-co...nual_Final.pdf
At the time I thought it was cute, but now I just realize their marketing department thought it wise to target people who had no idea what a MT was? sheesh

danmandle (03-25-2021)
Old 03-25-2021, 01:54 PM
Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by danmandle
I've been reading through the clutch thread. Doesn't seem like there's a good way to verify that the clutch has been replaced except that this F-Type has 36k miles on it which sounds like longer than the first gen clutch assemblies last.

Most of the MT V6S that I've seen become available recently are all per-production. Most of them have, or have had, CPO warranties. This one interestingly did not. The Carfax tells an curious story too: First entry is from 08/12/2015 in Georgia at 5,000 mi. Was there until it was sold at auction on 08/15/2016 at 8,500 mi. Went to California and was soon after registered by its first owner. During the first owner's stint (8,500 - 23,898 mi), there are zero Carfax entries. Second owner bought it in 10/2019 and put around 11k miles on it until he traded it into the dealer it's currently sold by. Carfax reports regular maintenance plus a "Engine/powertrain computer/module replaced". The mileage intervals on the Carfax report for the second owner give me some confidence in the car.

Don't give away my secrets! (EDIT: I guess I gave away my secret in my OP about Orland Park) I know that there are at least two other people who are jockeying to get it too. I spoke with Orland Park Jag about the PPI yesterday. My conversation with them left me with a very sour taste in my mouth. Having another dealer in the area take a look at it. Looks like you might be in the area too. It had regular service at Hinsdale but they're booked up and I couldn't get the PPI done there. Currently looking at Naperville.
Given the production date it would have had first generation clutch and given the current 36K miles seems like it would have had to had it replaced (based on those who owned the 1st gen clutch). Maybe someone on the forum that has access to the JLR database can look up the car history if you give them the VIN and you can trade those ultra secrets via personal messaging.

If you don't have any luck with Orland or Naperville, I can vouch for the Hoffman Estates/Schaumburg JLR dealership. If another 6-speed roles in there it will definitely get the attention of the service department because it will only have been the second one they have seen (guess how I know that).

Good luck,

danmandle (03-26-2021)
Old 03-25-2021, 02:35 PM
Received 111 Likes on 59 Posts

If not under extended warranty, I'd request to have the lower coolant outlet pipe replaced with the redesigned one. These have been known to break->engine overheat->blown head gasket->new motor.