F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Premature clutch failure

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2019, 03:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Premature clutch failure

Need help! Calling all F-Type manual transmission owners with experience dealing with Jaguar for clutch repairs.

My 2016 V6 S clutch has been slipping and finally failed. I’ve been reading that Jaguar released the F-Type with bad clutches and had multiple updates to the clutch pack to date. However, Jaguar USA and my dealer cannot find any info about this, yet there is a long Jaguar forums post by Unhinged detailing the whole mess. Does anyone have experience with getting the bad clutch replaced under warranty? I’m in a stalemate with Jaguar USA and my car has been stuck at the dealer for three weeks. 😤 A properly designed clutch should not burn out within the first 20K miles. Especially, on a near six figure sports car! I do not track my car, nor do I drive it hard. Mostly, because the clutch slips and can’t put the power down to the tires. BTW, I’ve had several manual cars and know how to shift.

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.

Michael

Old 08-30-2019, 04:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by Manual-S
Need help! Calling all F-Type manual transmission owners with experience dealing with Jaguar for clutch repairs.

My 2016 V6 S clutch has been slipping and finally failed. I’ve been reading that Jaguar released the F-Type with bad clutches and had multiple updates to the clutch pack to date. However, Jaguar USA and my dealer cannot find any info about this, yet there is a long Jaguar forums post by Unhinged detailing the whole mess. Does anyone have experience with getting the bad clutch replaced under warranty? I’m in a stalemate with Jaguar USA and my car has been stuck at the dealer for three weeks. 😤 A properly designed clutch should not burn out within the first 20K miles. Especially, on a near six figure sports car! I do not track my car, nor do I drive it hard. Mostly, because the clutch slips and can’t put the power down to the tires. BTW, I’ve had several manual cars and know how to shift.

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.

Michael
Michael,
It was great talking with you today. It sounds like you are finally on a good trajectory with your dealer. Keep us posted.
Lance

Old 04-26-2021, 02:39 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Same problem here

Same problem here, 2016 S 16000 miles. The dealer said the clutch was fine despite it slipping when quick shifting. I also showed the NHTSA link found on this forum but said there were no recalls on the car. VIN k33350
Please let me know how you managed to solve this issue.
thank you

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
MC-10118156-9999.pdf (111.5 KB, 142 views)
Old 04-26-2021, 10:01 AM
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Looks like OP Manual-S only posted that one time 18 months ago..

Unhinged, can you update us on his dealer progress from 2 summers ago??

The updated part# T2r27466 goes for less than $400 before Labor..

https://parts.jaguarvirginiabeach.co...c-set-t2r27466

Before I went with my X260/ZF8, I drove a manual X152 and absolutely loved the visceral connection; reminding me of my 944.

But, when reading the Fine Print that clutch wear is not Warranted, it just seemed a Bridge Too Far financially for me..

Although 16k & 20k miles seems ridiculously low for failure unless raced/autocrossed, I wonder if this updated clutch disc/plate has proven better longevity?

Can any member post their experiences with this updated part set??

Old 04-26-2021, 12:01 PM
Received 303 Likes on 198 Posts

I bought my MY2017 Premium 6 cyl this past Oct. 2020. Although I thought I had checked out all the issues with this car before hand, it wasn't until after a thorough test drive and then purchase that I found this clutch link here. The car was sold through a well-known specialty/sports car dealer in Northern IL. I have no issues with them. They were up front about having replaced the clutch and I asked for and got all the bills/invoices relating to that replacement. I, too, was taken aback seeing the relatively low mileage this car had (26K) and having to have a new clutch! I drove a 98 Civic manual until it had 370K on it with the OE clutch. sinking feeling in stomach on this F. Turned out, thanks to members/posters/info on this site, that the clutch that was put in was a 4th Gen unit. I have put on about 1500 miles since purchase and so far have had no further issues. I am a lifelong M/T car driver, numerous Old British Cars, including a 69 series 2 E type, a 2013 Golf and 2018 corvette. In my experience, the F prefers a high rev point, 3-4K for optimal shifts. But it's also "a car", so I have a "reserves for replacement" fund set up for things not covered by the warranty. There's about one more year on the factory warranty. Hope it all works out for you!

The following 2 users liked this post by Valerie Stabenow:
F1Virginia (04-26-2021), scm (04-26-2021)
Old 04-26-2021, 12:12 PM
Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by F1Virginia

But, when reading the Fine Print that clutch wear is not Warranted, it just seemed a Bridge Too Far financially for me..

Although 16k & 20k miles seems ridiculously low for failure unless raced/autocrossed, I wonder if this updated clutch disc/plate has proven better longevity?

Can any member post their experiences with this updated part set??
Ordinary clutch wear is something that may not be covered, but when the failure is due to a substandard part, it comes back to how effective your dealership is at fighting for their customer.

I had a Gen 1 upgraded to Gen 4 soon after I bought my V6S coupe. However, the flywheel was not replaced despite the dealership recommending to corporate that it be done (Gen 2 flywheel was out by this time). Just shy of 60K miles, I went in to have some things checked out including a vibration that had developed long after the replacement. Corporate said it was "normal." Less than 100 miles later, it went back in and the second Gen 4 clutch is being covered under warranty as well as the flywheel. The flywheel was trashed but the Gen 4 clutch plate itself seemed to still be generally intact.

They could find nothing in the warranty which specifically precluded warranty coverage and so it is a warranty repair.

The following users liked this post:
scm (04-26-2021)
Old 04-28-2021, 01:24 AM

Thank you for sharing your experiences, I appreciate everyone contributing to this thread after so much time. I as well read about the clutch issues only after purchasing the car. At first I was sure it was a CDV as it behaves as a pre CDV delete BMW, but then I’ve read on this forum that drilling it wasn’t the solution. (When shifting too fast the clutch just slips until I lift the foot from the gas pedal and wait a couple seconds before trying again). Other than that I have learnt to give it a couple more seconds between shifts to avoid slippage completely even at redline.

I am confused on which clutch gen I may have and if a gen 4 really fixes the issue, and how to explain it to the dealer if it is indeed covered by the warranty. Apparently for the dealer the clutch worked fine.

Old 05-07-2021, 05:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by 6speedjag
Thank you for sharing your experiences, I appreciate everyone contributing to this thread after so much time. I as well read about the clutch issues only after purchasing the car. At first I was sure it was a CDV as it behaves as a pre CDV delete BMW, but then I’ve read on this forum that drilling it wasn’t the solution. (When shifting too fast the clutch just slips until I lift the foot from the gas pedal and wait a couple seconds before trying again). Other than that I have learnt to give it a couple more seconds between shifts to avoid slippage completely even at redline.

I am confused on which clutch gen I may have and if a gen 4 really fixes the issue, and how to explain it to the dealer if it is indeed covered by the warranty. Apparently for the dealer the clutch worked fine.
You have a classic Gen 1/2 shift problem. The bad clutch will generally work for the dealer since they don’t generally drive MTs themselves and won’t drive them aggressively. You have to have a technician that has his own high perf MT do the test drive. Yes, the Gen 4 clutch fixes the problem. At this point unlikely to get it covered under warranty. Best and least expensive route is to order the parts online and have a good performance shop install them.

Last edited by Unhingd; 05-07-2021 at 05:52 AM.
Old 05-07-2021, 09:49 AM
Received 303 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by mbelanger
Ordinary clutch wear is something that may not be covered, but when the failure is due to a substandard part, it comes back to how effective your dealership is at fighting for their customer.

I had a Gen 1 upgraded to Gen 4 soon after I bought my V6S coupe. However, the flywheel was not replaced despite the dealership recommending to corporate that it be done (Gen 2 flywheel was out by this time). Just shy of 60K miles, I went in to have some things checked out including a vibration that had developed long after the replacement. Corporate said it was "normal." Less than 100 miles later, it went back in and the second Gen 4 clutch is being covered under warranty as well as the flywheel. The flywheel was trashed but the Gen 4 clutch plate itself seemed to still be generally intact.

They could find nothing in the warranty which specifically precluded warranty coverage and so it is a warranty repair.
I would be interested in knowing the mileage when the Gen4 clutch was put in and then the mileage when it became apparent that the flywheel went bad. From the parts number, a gen4 clutch went in my MY2017 at 26,000 miles, but not the flywheel. What were the symptoms of the failing flywheel?

Old 05-10-2021, 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by Unhingd
You have a classic Gen 1/2 shift problem. The bad clutch will generally work for the dealer since they don’t generally drive MTs themselves and won’t drive them aggressively. You have to have a technician that has his own high perf MT do the test drive. Yes, the Gen 4 clutch fixes the problem. At this point unlikely to get it covered under warranty. Best and least expensive route is to order the parts online and have a good performance shop install them.
Thank you so much! I finally have a clear picture of the situation. I’ll try my luck with the dealership having 1 year left on the factory warranty, otherwise I’ll get the parts needed and do the upgrade.

Old 05-11-2021, 05:15 PM
Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Valerie Stabenow
I would be interested in knowing the mileage when the Gen4 clutch was put in and then the mileage when it became apparent that the flywheel went bad. From the parts number, a gen4 clutch went in my MY2017 at 26,000 miles, but not the flywheel. What were the symptoms of the failing flywheel?
I had hoped I could copy and paste the photo I had of the flywheel that came out, but forum software said it was too many characters...clutch disc itself still seemed in decent shape.

The original replacement was around 3K miles while the second was just shy of the 60K mark, but with a symptom that I began to notice around the 50K mile mark. Just prior to failure, corporate claimed that the vibration I was feeling was 'normal.'

One other thing that my service guy reported back to me was some inserts in the shifter itself that almost seemed deformed from heat and was not sure if that was correlated with the failure or if that might have been more aligned with the vibration. Mine sort of served as the guinea pig (again) since there aren't many of us with a manual F-Type.

It does go back in for what should be an unrelated issue...threw a code for the O2 sensor (Bank 2, Sensor 3). They have ordered it just to be sure but will be checking initially to see if maybe someone just didn't clip something securely.