F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'Premium' Front Plate mounting kit

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2014, 06:19 PM
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 'Premium' Front Plate mounting kit

The great State of Minnesota has awarded me with two tickets for not running a front plate on previous cars. Both meter maid granted. So I decided not to tempt it again with my new F-Type. I even thought about registering it in AZ since they don’t have front plates, but I discovered that MN has just about the highest taxes in the country on everything except for auto titling/licensing.

We all agree that front plates are real blemish on this car so I wanted to minimize it the best I could. To me that meant no frame or plate holder to make it even bigger. And I couldn’t bring myself (or the dealer) to drill holes in the grille bar, and I think the tow hook option is admitting defeat.

So I came up with my ‘Poor man’s’ front plate kit. This approach requires no drilling or damage to the car. And for $10 worth of parts and an excuse to go (drive) to Home Depot WTH.

As seen in the attached photos the plate ‘floats’ about ¼ in in front of the grille bar.

One pic shows the 2 carriage bolt assemblies connecting through the grille lattice. The grille lattice allowed me to line up the bolts in a very good spot. The fender washers and neoprene washers I used to protect the lattice also allows you to precisely position the bolts and eliminates any vibration. But I have only tested that up to 95 mph thus far. I won't be mounting my GoPro on the car to check but I’m sure at highway speeds the license plate bends back against the grille bar, so I put two of those little rubber bumpers you use on cabinet doors on the plate of the plate. Although I saw no chaffing without doing this.

I used my tin snips to remove the ¼ of the edge on the top and bottom of the plate that would be covered by a plate holder to give it more of a longer ‘euro’ look. Well, not so much, so I may snip the sides (seen in the photo) and make it that much smaller. (US plates start ugly and nothing you can do to dress this up.) I used a black sharpie pen on the raw plate edges to help black it out. Most states plates have a stamped framing around the plate at this ¼ inch dimension so it is really easy to snip it along that line. Obviously you can skip the snipping and just have the bigger plate profile.

The Home Depot BOM is attached. The 4’ carriage bolts (2), large neoprene washers (4), large metal ‘fender’ washers (4), lock washers (4) and nuts (8) cost about $10 at Home Depot. As shown in the diagram I added a nut on the head end of the bolt to adjust the spacing of where the plate ended up relative for the grille crossbar. I didn’t want the bolt sticking out beyond the nut holding it onto the plate. This setup leaves the plate ‘floating’ about ¼ inch in front of the grille crossbar.

For the premium ‘Black Out’ option put ¼ inch heat-shrink tube over the exposed bolt and ‘paint’ the exposed washer and nut surfaces with the Black Sharpie pen. Don’t actually heat shrink the tube – although your driving habits may anyway.

And you could add the $1.18 ‘California’ fast donning option and use wing nuts on the front of the plate. Home Depot part number #802371 - 1/4 in.-20 tpi Coarse Zinc-Plated Steel Wing Nut (4-Pack) - $1.18.

Attached Thumbnails 'Premium' Front Plate mounting kit-front-view-1024x576-.jpg   'Premium' Front Plate mounting kit-profile-view-1024x576-.jpg   'Premium' Front Plate mounting kit-stand-off-bolt-view-800x450-.jpg   'Premium' Front Plate mounting kit-front-plate-mount-diagram.jpg   'Premium' Front Plate mounting kit-bom-home-depot.jpg  

The following 3 users liked this post by mndigo:
deltagroup (10-08-2014), JimC64 (10-06-2014), jmfan (10-06-2014)
Old 10-05-2014, 08:01 PM
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

If I ever need anything illustrated for ease of understanding, I'm calling you!

Old 10-06-2014, 01:35 AM
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

We have never had the option over here in Europe.

It does look a little better if the top of the plate does not visually break over the top of the bar

Just for interest, do the plates have to have all that advertising on them? Can't they be plain?

Old 10-06-2014, 03:26 AM
GGG
Received 16,852 Likes on 12,186 Posts

As Bluebird says, we don't have any option in Europe. Front plates are mandatory. I have to agree, they do spoil the appearance.

For USA members who also have to fit front plates, Jaguar list a rectangular plinth for the USA size plate (see item 1 - P/N T2R1543):

'Premium' Front Plate mounting kit-f-type-number-plate-plinth.jpg
(click on the image to enlarge it)

The rear of the plinth is moulded to the contour of the front bumper so it at least looks as if it's meant to be there! I've seen UK owners of earlier models fit the plinths with magnets to avoid drilling but when it has to be displayed all the time, there seems little point.

Graham

The following users liked this post:
deltagroup (10-08-2014)
Old 10-07-2014, 12:46 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a plate holder for the front that has suction cups. The plate stays in my trunk so that if I need it (or need to take the car in for a "fix-it" ticket), then I can stick it to the car temporarily. Cant be used to drive at speed, but if you want to park at a meter or in a public street where the meter people are hanging around, it is a great alternative.

Supplier is:D-SplayPlate No Drill license plate mount, license plate solution - I have one for my f-type and one for my wife's Mini Countryman (also too pretty to mess up the front)

The following 2 users liked this post by cdwilli1:
deltagroup (10-08-2014), shift (12-13-2014)
Old 10-08-2014, 01:22 AM
Received 97 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by cdwilli1
"I have a plate holder for the front that has suction cups. The plate stays in my trunk so that if I need it (or need to take the car in for a "fix-it" ticket), then I can stick it to the car temporarily. Cant be used to drive at speed, but if you want to park at a meter or in a public street where the meter people are hanging around, it is a great alternative...."
I use this pin-in-cup solution mounted in my front window in parking situations only. Picked them up at my local Oreilly Auto Parts store. Passed the "street-test" many times, though I often wonder if the meter people live in my trunk...

'Premium' Front Plate mounting kit-plate-1.jpeg
'Premium' Front Plate mounting kit-plate-2.jpeg
'Premium' Front Plate mounting kit-plate-3.jpeg

Old 12-13-2014, 07:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like your idea thanks for sharing

Old 12-13-2014, 07:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 340 Posts

the suction cup thing is cool. but this is cooler

Old 12-14-2014, 08:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 259 Likes on 205 Posts

I had a fold-away plate on my XKR that worked well, unfortunately it does not fit on the ftype due to front splitter etc.
My current remedy is simply a plate with earth magnets that I can remove when I whenever I want and put it in the trunk.
Lawrence.

Old 12-14-2014, 09:06 AM
Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

pay the fee and get it licensed in AZ

Old 12-14-2014, 10:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by shift
the suction cup thing is cool. but this is cooler

BMW 435 Retractable Front License Frame - YouTube

its cool

Old 12-15-2014, 02:45 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Very very James Bond. Need that on the Jag!