F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Price speculation on 2016 models

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2014, 06:34 PM
Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Price speculation on 2016 models

So I read the MY2016 bulletin and it says that they are bundling a lot of options at cost and expect the pricing on the car to drop "on most transactions"

Any speculation on whether they havent released pricing because its going to go down? My dealer said they havent sold as many FTypes as they thought they would and he was expecting to see a drop in prices across the board for all models. Do you think he's right?

Old 12-04-2014, 06:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Not a chance . . .except perhaps on all the fully-equipped models.

Old 12-04-2014, 06:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 334 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
Not a chance . . .except perhaps on all the fully-equipped models.
That would be my guess too because for $65k,it's a hell of a lot of car for the money...and Jaguar knows that.

Old 12-04-2014, 06:56 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by buickfunnycar.com
That would be my guess too because for $65k,it's a hell of a lot of car for the money...and Jaguar knows that.
Yes, and to elaborate a bit further, I would guess that the base model pricing will go up considerably. It was a bargain when introduced in 2013, but the price point over 6 figures stopped too many on the higher end.

It makes sense for them to play around with their pricing model and packaging of various options and perhaps decrease the spread between base and high-end. However, the net profit margin for JLR across the model line will certainly not be reduced, and I'm sure production costs are rising.

Old 12-04-2014, 07:46 PM
Received 259 Likes on 149 Posts

You have to look more at the exchange rate between US$ and the British Pound.

The Pound has lost a considerable amount over the past 6 months so a US$ price may very well drop but the Pound price will for sure increase.

So depending on where you live, the price may decline but most countries will see stability or slight increase.

Old 12-04-2014, 08:13 PM
Veteran Member

Good points, Zach, but I'm just WAG-ing more based upon supply and demand in the U.S. for the various models. I live in the metro Washington, DC area, which includes affluent areas around DC, in Maryland and Virginia. There are 4 JLR dealers within about a 50 mile drive, so I look at what F-Types are in stock at those dealerships fairly often.

Base cars move fairly quickly in this area, but the higher-end models with the 6-figure MSRPs do tend to sit around for much longer in dealer stock. At the present time, that's about all they have in stock.

Thus, I was guessing that trend might be widespread, and that JLR might want to play around with the pricing model to move more inventory--e.g. higher prices on the lower end by bundling more options, and decreasing the spread between the base and high-end. One hint at that was that I noticed that the premium Meridian and active exhaust would be standard on U.S. base models in 2016, which means higher prices on those cars.

Who knows, this thread was about playing the guessing game.

Old 12-04-2014, 08:30 PM

The F type is purely an indulgence, and most have someone at home who would differ on the amount of money you would be able to spend on said indulgence.

Fortunately my other someone (The Wife) never questions my enjoyment of a fine automobile. As long as I NEVER EVER question her indulgence of shoes.

That being said, most sane people would never buy a F Type because it serves no practical purpose.

So the lower spec'd cars would obviously be an easier sell (wife's permission).

I would guess this is true with the 911's also.

Last edited by zach05855; 12-05-2014 at 07:59 AM.
Old 12-04-2014, 08:33 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

So for 2016 the panoramic roof and 770 watt sound system will be standard on the coupe, and each of these had been $1200 options. And as Foosh has pointed out, the active sport exhaust, previously $1500 on the base car and $220 on the S, will also be standard - for manual transmission cars.

On the other hand, now the automatic transmission becomes an option - that is to say, on other cars that offer a stick and an automatic, the automatic always costs more.

Obviously lots of factors go into pricing, some of which may be discernible to us, but probably many others about which we have no idea. It'll be interesting to see where the pricing ends up.

The following users liked this post:
Foosh (12-04-2014)
Old 12-04-2014, 08:38 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by zach05855
The F type is purely an indulgence, and most have someone at home who would differ on the amount of money you would be able to spend on said indulgence.

Fortunately my other someone (The Wife) never questions my enjoyment of a fine automobile. As long as I NEVER EVER question her indulgence of shoes.

That being said, most sane people would never buy a F Type because it serves no practical purpose.

So the lower spec'd cars would obviously be an easier sale (wife's permission).

I would guess this is true with the 911's also.
LOL . . . true for the most part, but my F-Type does serve a very practical purpose for me. It gets me to and from work almost every day with a smile on my face. Mine is an almost daily-driver.

Old 12-04-2014, 08:39 PM
Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

The Jaguar bulletin I read specifically says that the options you mentioned have been added a deep discount and not full price and basically at cost. All the dealers in the Seattle are also seem to have the highest end models on their lots, some that havent moved in 2 years.

If the base is selling well, wouldn't it make sense to drop the price some to increase sales?

Old 12-04-2014, 08:47 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by f_in_seattle
The Jaguar bulletin I read specifically says that the options you mentioned have been added a deep discount and not full price and basically at cost. All the dealers in the Seattle are also seem to have the highest end models on their lots, some that havent moved in 2 years.

If the base is selling well, wouldn't it make sense to drop the price some to increase sales?
Yes, that was exactly my theory as long as we're playing the guessing game.

Old 12-04-2014, 08:54 PM

Business 101: something that sells well , you increase the price to maximize profits. Something is a slow seller, you lower the price to maximize sales.

Old 12-04-2014, 09:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 643 Likes on 411 Posts

The R will almost certainly cost more, being as AWD is the only option. However all things considered, jaguar went from 9000 something possible to something like 2000 from what i'm told. This simplifies the assembly process significantly and can cut alot of costs. The glass roof, exhaust system, sound system, stupid hatch opening thing, etc. all become cheaper now that every car gets one. It will be interesting to see the final price of my order.

The following users liked this post:
Foosh (12-04-2014)
Old 12-04-2014, 11:04 PM
Received 192 Likes on 128 Posts

One can (somewhat) infer ballpark pricing from the UK build site, which does have pricing for the new options.

V6 & V6S - Automatic is £2K more than manual (or manual is £2k less depending on your point of view)
V6S - Auto AWD is £5K more than Auto RWD
V8R - Auto AWD is £5K more than Auto RWD

Carbon fiber roof is £1250 more than glass roof (and the glass roof is £1250 more than painted - its $1200 more in the US currently).

Seems that the old rule of $ for £ applies generally, so just substitute $ for £ (UK pricing includes a tax (VAT @ 20%) that is not applicable in the USA which brings the £ / $ conversion closer to 1 than it would otherwise be).

Its difficult to be precise though, as the options configured vary between the 2 countries.

Last edited by mshedden; 12-04-2014 at 11:13 PM.
Old 12-04-2014, 11:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 581 Likes on 340 Posts

I'd be surprised if prices decreases. I've never heard of prices dropping (be it a car or an iPad or shoes). Now, what they might do if sales are hurting is offer rebates/incentives/low APR, etc. But I don't think they want to price down the car.

Old 12-05-2014, 07:43 AM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Agreed. If there's a change, the likelihood would be an increase.

Old 12-05-2014, 08:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 643 Likes on 411 Posts

Originally Posted by shift
I'd be surprised if prices decreases. I've never heard of prices dropping (be it a car or an iPad or shoes). Now, what they might do if sales are hurting is offer rebates/incentives/low APR, etc. But I don't think they want to price down the car.
The Dodge Viper recently had its msrp dropped, but that was a poor selling car. I'd agree a slight increase is most likely.

Old 12-05-2014, 08:32 AM
Veteran Member

No doubt that the base car goes up substantially with the auto becoming an expensive option and other items that were options becoming standard. I would also bet that the MSRP of the manual, base car will be significantly higher than 14-15 models.

Old 12-05-2014, 10:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 334 Likes on 232 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by zach05855
Fortunately my other someone (The Wife) never questions my enjoyment of a fine automobile. As long as I NEVER EVER question her indulgence of shoes...
That made me LOL...

Old 12-05-2014, 01:39 PM
Received 270 Likes on 148 Posts

In one of the magazines it was mentioned that the price is going up a couple thousand, give or take, across the board.

Quick Reply: Price speculation on 2016 models