F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problems programming garage door opener

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2015, 02:31 PM
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by lhoboy
You didn't use the handheld at all, right? I'll try one more time.
I tried handheld first, no dice. Then just hit the button on actual opening mechanism (mine is a big red square on the back) and then the mirror button I wanted programmed.

Old 07-23-2015, 02:32 PM
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by BierNut
Be aware that if you clear the memory on the garage door opener you will need to re-sync all cars/remotes to the unit.

I have a rolling code unit, and I simply pressed the program button on the door opener (which stayed syncing log enough for me to get in the car) and the button on the mirror. However, I had to do it twice to learn the rolling code pattern. This was mentioned in the manual for my door opener.

At no point was the remote involved in the code learning procedure for my unit (Genie Pro Max).
Sorry I should be more clear - I cleared the memory on the car, not the actual opener. Not sure why I needed to do that, but that's how I did it.

Old 09-01-2015, 12:06 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Still having trouble programming the garage door opener. I have tried this over a dozen times and just wondering what I am missing:

1. I have cleared the memory on the mirror by pressing the two outside buttons and getting the quick flashing lights on the mirror.

2. Next, I press the button on my garage door remote and button one on my mirror and get a slow flashing light on my mirror. I have kept the two buttons pressed for up to 25 seconds but cannot get it past the slow flashing LED light on the mirror. The instructions say the LED light in the mirror should start flashing quickly for the programming to hold.

3. Finally tried pressing the Learn button on my opener and within 30 seconds holding down button 1 on my mirror - still no luck.

Went to the dealer for a "hard reset" where they disconnected the battery for 10 minutes. Still not working, is the problem in Step 2 where I cannot get the quick flashing light on my mirror? Anyone have more suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Old 09-01-2015, 12:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by drtdvl
Still having trouble programming the garage door opener. I have tried this over a dozen times and just wondering what I am missing:

1. I have cleared the memory on the mirror by pressing the two outside buttons and getting the quick flashing lights on the mirror.

2. Next, I press the button on my garage door remote and button one on my mirror and get a slow flashing light on my mirror. I have kept the two buttons pressed for up to 25 seconds but cannot get it past the slow flashing LED light on the mirror. The instructions say the LED light in the mirror should start flashing quickly for the programming to hold.

3. Finally tried pressing the Learn button on my opener and within 30 seconds holding down button 1 on my mirror - still no luck.

Went to the dealer for a "hard reset" where they disconnected the battery for 10 minutes. Still not working, is the problem in Step 2 where I cannot get the quick flashing light on my mirror? Anyone have more suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
I had major issues as well until I figured out the idiosyncrasies of the system. First clear the system by holding down the two outside buttons for approximately 10 seconds. (until the mirror light flashes quickly).Then press the learn button on the garage door opening mechanism. Then push and hold the mirror button of your choice until the garage door mechanism light flashes twice. At that point in time the opener should work but you have to hold for at least two seconds for the garage door to respond. Having to hold it each time for that long is counterintuitive. Good luck.

Old 09-01-2015, 04:45 PM
Tel
Received 233 Likes on 143 Posts

You shouldn't have any issues, so long as you ensure that your garage opener key fob is working on the same frequency that the Homelink® system can recognise.

Here, in the UK it's 433Mhz, but I'm sure you will have another license free allocation in the US.

Also make sure that your remote, has a fresh battery if your'e sure the frequency is compatible.

I've noticed that I have to hold the Homelink® Buttons on the rear view mirror for about 3 seconds plus, for it to transmit the signal successfully to my receivers.

Old 09-01-2015, 08:07 PM

Thanks for the advice. Will give it a try tonight.

Old 09-01-2015, 08:38 PM
Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts

Thanks for the advice. Will give it a try tonight.
I ended up having to reset the dip switches on my garage door opener to get the car to recognize it. The new battery is a good idea to try first.

The openers have either 9 or 12 of them, and you can set them to on or off in any pattern so long as the garage door receiver has the same settings on its matching set of switches. So basically I reset that, then programmed the home link in the car to match the new settings. Before doing that the car was not accepting the signal from the opener. Another quirk.

Old 09-01-2015, 09:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

It depends upon how old your garage door opener is. The old ones had "dip switches" that could be set any number of ways to set a unique code. There were dip switches in both the head unit and in the remote. You just set the dip switches to the same positions in each, which the car could then read from the remote. They were easy to program.

Recent ones have electronic rolling codes for added security. Those are the hard ones to program and often require multiple steps within a short period of time. It usually requires 3 steps:

1) programming one of car's buttons to recognize your remote opener first,

2) then running up a ladder to hit the "learn" button on the opener head unit, and

3) getting back to the car before the all of the above steps time out to hit the button in the car a couple of times.

All of this has to be done in 60 seconds or so, and the problems I've had with cars in the past were the result of not doing all of the above quickly enough. It's a lot easier with two people.

Old 09-01-2015, 10:01 PM

Appreciate all the help. My opener is fairly current having been installed this year. I have tried everything mentioned and for my other three vehicles, it has been similar to what Foosh previously posted except we only have 30 seconds after hitting the learn button on the garage motor.

I am going to give it a break and retry again over the weekend. My dealer is pretty good and will help out if I can't make this work. Maybe it is my mirror - who knows.

Old 09-02-2015, 08:50 PM
Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

So I just got mine working tonight. A Liftmaster door opener and remote. Tried to do it according to the manual by holding the remote button and mirror button, but didn't work, even after resetting the car mirror buttons. Tried the Learn button on the garage door unit and pressing and holding the mirror button - that also didn't work. To make it work, I had to do a combination of all of those things. So, this is what worked (and I thereafter successfully repeated steps 2 and 3 for my other two garage door openers):

1. Press and hold the two outer buttons on the car rearview mirror until the small LED on the mirror by the buttons begins flashing quickly. May take about 20 seconds of depressing both buttons. Release.

2. Press and hold the garage door remote button while holding it right beside the mirror buttons, and press and hold the desired mirror button at the same time - slow flash of the LED eventually starts flashing quickly, but it might take at least 10 seconds. I tried then to open the garage door with the (programmed?) mirror button - doesn't work.

3. Go to the garage door opener unit in the garage and hit the Learn button. Within 30 seconds press and hold the mirror button of step 2 until you see the garage door opener light click on/off twice. I continued to hold the mirror button a bit longer and think I remember the LED starting or stopping flashing. But, in any event the button now works the garage door.

That's what worked for me, but all three steps were needed.

My guess is that what is going on is that the car needs step 2 to learn the seed (fixed) code being transmitted by the remote, and then step 3 to get the garage door unit to accept the rolling code sent with the seed it learned from the remote. And perhaps a unique car remote ID to distinguish commands from the car buttons versus those from the remote(s) or other programmed car buttons. But that's just guessing, it's not my area of expertise.

Old 09-02-2015, 10:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Those are essentially the 3 steps I described above for a recent rolling code opener. My wife's C-300 was programmed exactly the same way.

The MB manual clearly describes the difference between garage door openers, and the extra steps for a rolling code system vs. the old-school system, which can be programmed with just the remote. I haven't looked at the F-Type manual because my base car doesn't have the opener.

I think virtually everyone having trouble either fails to complete one of the steps properly, or doesn't get it all done in 30 seconds.

Last edited by Foosh; 09-02-2015 at 10:15 PM.
Old 09-02-2015, 10:22 PM

I have tried the steps above and have been able to program my other three cars including the Range Rover Sport which has the same procedure as the Jaguar. Actually all the cars are similar in programming except the Audi (which was by far the simplest to program).

What is not happening for me is in Step 2 where I get the slow flashing light but it never changes to the fast flashing light. I hold the buttons for quite awhile and after maybe 30 or so seconds, the lights stop flashing. Not sure why this is happening.

As mentioned earlier, I will bring a drink out, sit down in the car and give it another try this long weekend.

Old 09-02-2015, 11:12 PM

What is not happening for me is in Step 2 where I get the slow flashing light but it never changes to the fast flashing light. I hold the buttons for quite awhile and after maybe 30 or so seconds, the lights stop flashing. Not sure why this is happening.
My best guess is that the car isn't receiving or recognizing your garage remote's signal, so it never switches to the quick flashing which is the indication that the remote was successfully read. And I am assuming that the remote you use does currently work to open/close the garage door. My thoughts are (if you haven't already done these):
1. hold the remote very close to the mirror and make sure you are depressing the remote button the whole 10-20 seconds while holding down the mirror button;
2. change to a new battery (sort of like holding it close to the mirror) in case the mirror antenna requires a good, strong signal for proper reception;
3. try a different remote that also works.

Save the drink until after you either get it to work or quit in frustration - either way you'll enjoy the drink more!

Old 09-03-2015, 06:17 AM
Veteran Member

I could never get the mirror to program from a handheld remote. I was only able to do it using the program button on the garage door motor box.

Old 09-03-2015, 10:28 AM
Received 680 Likes on 489 Posts

I mentioned this earlier in the thread, but I couldn't get my cars to work with the new Liftmaster rolling code systems until I bought a repeater kit, now they all work fine (actually had to buy two as the gate wasn't working either and it was too far from the first repeater to use it). http://www.liftmaster.com/CatalogRes...structions.pdf

Old 09-11-2015, 12:47 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Why don't you ask your Sales Consultant to come out and program it for you?

Old 09-13-2015, 07:04 PM
Received 31 Likes on 10 Posts

The only thing that worked for me in my F-type R is to program a universal remote to the garage door that I want to operate. Then I sat in the car and pressed the universal remote button and the Jaguar link button at the same time and held until the light went from slow blink to fast blink. Now it works great.

As a previous poster said you must hold the jaguar link button for 2 seconds each time you want to use it to open/close your garage. You may thing its not working but you arent holding the button long enough to transmit

Old 09-13-2015, 07:29 PM
Received 68 Likes on 39 Posts

Frustration. I just programed my F-Type garage door opener using the instructions in the OM. Works great! But now my other two cars openers don't work, and neither does the outside key-pad. OK, so I reprogramed the exterior key-pad remote, and now the F-Type won't open the door. Ugh! I'm wondering whether I need to program all 4 of these during the one 30 second period I have, in order to get them all to work? I'll try that tomorrow.

Old 09-13-2015, 07:51 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by mjm3457
Frustration. I just programed my F-Type garage door opener using the instructions in the OM. Works great! But now my other two cars openers don't work, and neither does the outside key-pad. OK, so I reprogramed the exterior key-pad remote, and now the F-Type won't open the door. Ugh! I'm wondering whether I need to program all 4 of these during the one 30 second period I have, in order to get them all to work? I'll try that tomorrow.
I found that I can program any 3 remotes to work on my Craftsman garage door opener. Try to program more, and one or two of the others lose connection. It is possible that some openers can only sync with up to 3 remotes.

Old 09-13-2015, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by mjm3457
When you say you used the OM instructions, did you press the Learn button or anything on the opener? I ask because possibly you are unintentionally clearing the opener of all codes when you do your process. But I am just guessing. Usually, the Learn button is supposed to be just pressed quickly to tell the opener to learn a new remote, and holding it down for several seconds or more tells it you want it to clear all codes out of its memory.

Quick Reply: Problems programming garage door opener