F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problems programming garage door opener

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2015, 08:07 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default HomeLink 5 Training Video

I was struggling to get the garage door button working and finally got it to work. If you are struggling, likely it is because you have a garage door opener with a rolling code where you have to have the unit in the garage "learn" the code. I finally got it working by following this helpful HomeLink training video:

HomeLink is the unit in the Jaguar. FYI I have a LiftMaster garage opener, but the video will explain how to program it with any garage opener with a "rolling code"

Good luck!

Old 06-25-2016, 02:03 PM
Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by drtdvl
I have tried the steps above and have been able to program my other three cars including the Range Rover Sport which has the same procedure as the Jaguar. Actually all the cars are similar in programming except the Audi (which was by far the simplest to program).

What is not happening for me is in Step 2 where I get the slow flashing light but it never changes to the fast flashing light. I hold the buttons for quite awhile and after maybe 30 or so seconds, the lights stop flashing. Not sure why this is happening.

As mentioned earlier, I will bring a drink out, sit down in the car and give it another try this long weekend.
From your descriptions I am having EXACTLY the same symptoms as you. So did you get it working eventually? and if so:

What did you do differently to make it work?
How large was the drink required?
How strong a drink is required?

Thanks,

Andrew

Old 06-25-2016, 02:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

One thing to keep in mind, is that once it's programmed, you need to hold the mirror button for a couple of seconds to actuate the garage door. All my other remotes have required only a momentary touch.
Also, with some receivers you may need to press the learn button while the car is right below it.

The following users liked this post:
mwinner (01-14-2018)
Old 06-25-2016, 04:07 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Andrew - i hate to say this but I never got the Homelink to work on my car. It has been awhile and I haven't re-read the whole thread but I have followed the instructions to the letter, had the mirror changed out at the dealer, had the dealer come out and try to program it and still nothing. I have also changed the batteries in the remotes and also reset the whole system and reprogrammed all the cars and remotes.

What is extremely frustrating with this is all my other vehicles work perfectly fine including my Range Rover Sport (which has the same programming instructions), ML63, Audi AllRoad and my GMC Yukon.

I just drink to get over the fustration of having it not work and I am now going to have a drink seeing as you have now brought this 'issue' back up.

If you happen to get it working, let me know.

Thank-you.

Originally Posted by amr42
From your descriptions I am having EXACTLY the same symptoms as you. So did you get it working eventually? and if so:

What did you do differently to make it work?
How large was the drink required?
How strong a drink is required?

Thanks,

Andrew

Old 06-25-2016, 06:26 PM
Veteran Member

Guess what, guys. Most garage receivers have a limit of the number of remotes will synch with it. My sears system will not link to more than 3.

Last edited by Unhingd; 06-25-2016 at 06:28 PM.
Old 06-25-2016, 06:31 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for that but I know when I cleared the memory for my garage opener, the F-type was the first vehicle I tried to program. Still no luck.

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Guess what, guys. Most garage receivers have a limit of the number of remotes will synch with it. My sears system will not link to more than 3.

Old 06-26-2016, 12:35 PM
Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by drtdvl
Andrew - i hate to say this but I never got the Homelink to work on my car. It has been awhile and I haven't re-read the whole thread but I have followed the instructions to the letter, had the mirror changed out at the dealer, had the dealer come out and try to program it and still nothing. I have also changed the batteries in the remotes and also reset the whole system and reprogrammed all the cars and remotes.

If you happen to get it working, let me know..
Just 'letting you know'...

OK, Success at last! Worthwhile you trying again. Read this entire thread (and sympathize - A LOT - you are not alone!). Watch the HomeLink video - actually watch a few. My opener is Genie (but not the same remote as shown).

I programmed three buttons on my F-Type's mirror in less than 5 minutes. I feel like an expert now after all my previous failed attempts.

Here goes (I'm programming button '1' on the mirror here, and F-Type is out of the garage):

a) F-Type ignition ON, but engine NOT running.

b) Reset F-Type mirror by holding down '1' and '3' until you get the fast flash

c) Press and hold button '1' on mirror and then with the remote near the mirror, press and hold the correct button on the existing garage door opener remote. Keep both held until the mirror LED fast flashes. This may take some time and door may open/close.

d) Now, realize that you are NOT done. The fast flashing from step c) above means you have rolling code garage door opener, so more steps are required.

e) <Get someone else to> Press the 'Learn' button on the actual garage door opener unit mounted on the garage ceiling. The LED should flash (mine is red).

f) Now press and hold the '1' button on the mirror for about 2 seconds, my mirror LED goes solid about then. Release the '1' button.

g) Repeat f) - likely LED will just flash and then go solid again

h) Repeat f) - likely LED will just flash and then go solid again - but at this point my garage door opened/closed - indicating that the '1' button was now programmed correctly.

i) Now test by pressing '1' button normally and all should be good.

j) Go get that drink you so readily deserve now...

Last edited by amr42; 06-26-2016 at 03:33 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by amr42:
jimishooch (06-28-2016), Unhingd (06-26-2016)
Old 11-24-2017, 04:29 PM
Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

PLEASE HELP. I've tried the outlined steps 100 times, reset the buttons by holding buttons 1 and 3, holding the transmitter up to the mirror while holding any one of the 3 buttons, trying learning mode without first holding the transmitter up to the mirror, etc...every combination/variation of the correct steps. I can NEVER get step C above to work. The mirror button just blinks at the slow pace and never speeds up. I've held for as long as I need to hold it to make the mirror light stop flashing (1-2 mins).

Has anyone been able to program with a craftsman belt drive with the smart hub also setup? Yes, with the smart hub I can just use my phone, but would prefer to just use the buttons on the mirror instead of fumbling through my phone apps to open/close the door. Its looking more and more like this is a case of needing the homelink compatibility bridge. Its annoying that a 2014 vehicle is not compatible with a 2016/2017 craftsman garage door opener.

Shopping

Last edited by watson6505; 11-24-2017 at 06:08 PM.
Old 11-25-2017, 02:51 AM
Veteran Member

Is this the first garage door opener with which you are trying to synchronize the F-Type? If so, you might not be aware that when operating the Jag mirror button to open the door, you need to depress it an hold for 2-3 second before it fires the signal. It might be properly programmed, but you might not be triggering it. This issue caused me all kinds of headaches at the beginning.

MelG (11-25-2017)
Old 11-25-2017, 09:06 AM

This is the first one for the Jag, but I'm not even getting beyond the step where you sync the garage door transmitter with the mirror. The flashing speed never changes, which leads me to believe I cannot move to the rolling code step where I need to put the opener into 'Learn' mode for sync pt 2. I just decided to order the compatibility bridge and see if that is indeed the issue.

I'll follow-up with an update once installing the bridge.

MelG (11-25-2017)
Old 11-25-2017, 11:50 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I've set up HomeLink in my other cars (2) on the first go, so I know it can be done. This is frustrating the hell out of me, so I'll be following just in case a miracle pops up in this thread. I've read the entire thread, cleared any prior programming, I don't have a rolling code, etc. I haven't tried having a drink with me, sounds like a great idea.

Old 11-25-2017, 12:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 157 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by watson6505
This is the first one for the Jag, but I'm not even getting beyond the step where you sync the garage door transmitter with the mirror. The flashing speed never changes, which leads me to believe I cannot move to the rolling code step where I need to put the opener into 'Learn' mode for sync pt 2. I just decided to order the compatibility bridge and see if that is indeed the issue.

I'll follow-up with an update once installing the bridge.
I had a similar issue with my '12 BMW X5 when we had to replace our GDOs with new ones. It simply did the "slow flash" with no notification. I had to also buy a 3rd-party bridge which ended up resolving the issue.

Oddly enough, the new R paired with the rolling codes of these new GDOs that were put in less than a year ago with no issue what-so-ever.

1) Sit in car
2) Push START but do NOT have your foot on the brake so you are not ACTUALLY "starting" the car. You are simply providing power to the car's accessories (like the Homelink controls on the mirror). This is an ESSENTIAL step to provide power to the mirror as the car has to be powering the accessories. Many people don't realize this step as most of the video's above tend to ignore it.
3) Push the corresponding button on the remote that opens the door and a fraction of a second later push the button on the mirror. The light on the mirror will flash slowly (like once every other second)
4) Hold that button for as little as 5 seconds (in my case) and you will see one of two actions. The mirror light will either change to a solid illumination or it will flash much more rapidly (like 3 times a second). If it does nothing other than continue the slow blink... you will need an external relay/bridge because your car and GDO are not directly compatible.
4a) If the mirror light is now solid. Simply release the button & you should now be able to open and close your GDO using the mirror button (note: won't work if ignition is not ON. Car does not have to be running but the ignition MUST be ON).
4b) If the mirror light is now rapidly flashing then you have a rolling GDO and your 1/2 way through.
5) At this point you don't need to do anything with the buttons on the mirror until you push your LEARNING button on the back of the GDO motor itself.
6) Push the yellow LEARNING button on the GDO motor
7) Push the mirror button you previously "programmed" three times pausing about a second between pushes. On the third or forth push your GDO should work.

Last edited by ndabunka; 11-25-2017 at 12:26 PM.
Old 11-25-2017, 01:59 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Update - I finally got it to work! Found an old garage door opener in the garage that I haven't used in years, and since it's the only one whose button hasn't been pushed hard enough to punch through the back I gave it a go. Same method, different result. Only other thing different was the glass of Thanksgiving sangria I brought with me - you guys may be on to something.

ndabunka (11-25-2017)
Old 11-25-2017, 02:49 PM
Veteran Member

Single malt scotch is the most effective of the elixirs.

Old 11-25-2017, 07:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 213 Likes on 190 Posts

Car was homelinked then put on new opener from same company and can't get synched. Dealer couldn't get get past first flashing light on mirror, gave me a homelink sheet and their 800 number, just haven't bothered to call.

Old 11-27-2017, 09:21 AM

UPDATE: So I ordered a homelink repeater from Amazon (link below) and did the following:
1. Sync the transmitter that came with the repeater to one of the Jags homelink buttons by first pushing the selected Jag button (button #3 in my case) then pushing the transmitter button that came with the repeater. Quick flashing started in about 2 seconds
2. Plugged the repeater into the same outlet my garage door opener is plugged into (this location is not necessary, but why not since I had an open outlet)
3. Extended the antenna attached to the repeater downward
4. Pushed the Yellow learn button on the garage door opener (note: my garage door unit has a couple different functions for the yellow button, just make sure you press it so that the yellow light is solid and none of the other lights are illuminated - like the up/down arrows)
5. Quickly sat in the jaguar and pressed the same homelink button synced to the transmitter in step1 above (button #3 in my case). Took about 3-5 seconds for the garage door opener light to flash indicating that the syncing was completed. Let go of the homelink button.
6. Pressed the homelink button and voila, the garage door worked

So the process that should take 1-2 minutes, actually took 1-2 minutes once I had the repeater in place.

Liftmaster 855lm Chamberlain OEM Homelink Compatibility Bridge
Amazon Amazon

Old 07-18-2019, 09:57 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Were you able to figure that out?? I have the '11 XJL with the Liftmaster head opener and still no luck I tried everything you did, please share if you were able to figure it out

Old 07-18-2019, 10:07 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Bri's Jag
Were you able to figure that out?? I have the '11 XJL with the Liftmaster head opener and still no luck I tried everything you did, please share if you were able to figure it out
The trick to programming and using the Jag opener is to press and hold the buttons for a full 2 seconds when the instructions say to press a button.

Old 07-18-2019, 11:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 213 Likes on 190 Posts

Some vins need a bridge for certain openers, like mine!

Old 07-19-2019, 10:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 579 Likes on 397 Posts

Originally Posted by bjg625
Some vins need a bridge for certain openers, like mine!
+1
Our friend's '15 S needed a bridge circuit installed on their newest garage door.

Quick Reply: Problems programming garage door opener