F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Project 7 grill resources?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2021, 01:58 AM
Received 273 Likes on 190 Posts

Has anybody gotten anything? It's been two months since I placed my order. I did receive an update back in August that I posted above, but my last two emails to them have went unanswered.

Old 09-22-2021, 07:37 AM
Received 45 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by JacksonvilleJag
Has anybody gotten anything? It's been two months since I placed my order. I did receive an update back in August that I posted above, but my last two emails to them have went unanswered.
I actually messaged Carl this morning to find out about this, I was thinking about it on my way to work and realized it's been a little over 2 months now that I've had my order in

The following users liked this post:
JacksonvilleJag (09-22-2021)
Old 09-22-2021, 07:43 AM

Just heard back, he said "They are with the shipping agent awaiting dispatch"
Apparently it took a while because the person that was originally going to test it and give feedback didn't really get to do it, and a friend of his couldn't get the install done either and kept wasting time.
He didn't want to ship things out with so many people ordering them and then finding out there's fitment issues etc

So we should be getting shipping/tracking info soon

Last edited by Robc2562; 09-22-2021 at 08:12 AM.
DJS (09-22-2021)
Old 09-22-2021, 08:19 AM
Received 377 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by Robc2562
Just heard back, he said "They are with the shipping agent awaiting dispatch"
Apparently it took a while because the person that was originally going to test it and give feedback didn't really get to do it, and a friend of his couldn't get the install done either and kept wasting time.
He didn't want to ship things out with so many people ordering them and then finding out there's fitment issues etc

So we should be getting shipping/tracking info soon
I am the person who originally agreed to help with this test fit install. I, like you, am just another enthusiast that wanted to help get this to market. I am in no way affiliated VR. The original grill without the sensor holders was supposed to be shipped to me to test with about 4 months ago. If you go back and read on many of the forums, etc. You will see this actually has been in the works since March or even earlier. I first started to talk with Carl back at the end of May (Almost 4 months ago). I was told to expect a grill (without sensor holders) expressed shipped to me and that it was in transit. It never came. I was then told they shipped it via regular mail. 4 months later that first grill never arrived, so I doubt it was ever shipped.

A couple of weeks later Carl shared they modified the design with the sensor holders included and again that a grill was being express shipped to me. I did receive a tracking number via UPS, however it took about 2 weeks to arrive. With the pandemic and international travel, I can understand, but this was shipping from China, via Canada (I was told) hence the delay.

When I received the grill (keep in mind we are talking now almost 2+ months later, my personal situation had changed and I did not have time to invest in doing a test fit and creating a video install. Not to mention, the original grill that was sent to me (in my opinion) did not meet my expectations for the finish of the paint quality (this feedback was provided and I have it all documented). I solicited the help of another forum member here, who immediately offered to help with the install and video. When he went to do the install, he found the mount posts were about 3/8 too long and would not sit flush until cut back. He also noted that in order to install the front parking sensors, you would need to remove the rubber seal off the parking sensor. Not something he wanted to do as it made the sensor stick too far out from the holder. He was worried about false positive signals. This feedback was again provided. Victor did the install almost immediately that weekend after receiving the grill. No one "wasted" any time and were all eager to help get this test fit. Carl then decided to have me ship the grill to another member who had more time to do the install, take details pictures and provide feedback. I shipped this to the other member within 2 days. He did the install and claimed to be a perfect fit. Not sure how that is possible, but not my story to tell. I can only share what I saw with Victors attempt at the install.

The grill itself seems to be made of a quality ABS plastic 3D printed mold. However some of the fitment and finish issues had me concerned and that feedback was provided. I would assume this has more to do the with delays then us "wasting time." Also, unbeknownst to Carl, I had another member who I am friends with reach out and ask about a conversation he had with Carl about the grill he ordered. None of what he told me (that pertained to me sending him a grill to test with) was accurate. I was not privy to that conversation between this other member and VR, so there is always two sides to a story, but what I was told was not accurate at all.

I normally stay clear of things like this, for this reason. Trying to do something nice for someone, always back fires. I hate that the explanation is that other people have been wasting time, when everyone has been trying their best to help with this in such a timely manner. If you go back and do any research on this at all, you can clear see where the delays and poor information has come from. I don't like my name or a friend of mine, being made out to be the bad guys here.

I hope that everyone gets their grills, they come in perfect and install without any issues at all. I am not confident at all now this is possible and there really is no reason for the delays (in my opinion) other than VR attempting to make sure the fit and finish of the product is good for their users. I hope for one, this turns out to be the case.

Last edited by skizot; 09-22-2021 at 08:23 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by skizot:
BarneysFType (09-22-2021), Jagauf (09-22-2021), Nodnarb (09-22-2021), TheDrainPlug (02-15-2022)
Old 09-22-2021, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by skizot
I am the person who originally agreed to help with this test fit install. I, like you, am just another enthusiast that wanted to help get this to market. I am in no way affiliated VR. The original grill without the sensor holders was supposed to be shipped to me to test with about 4 months ago. If you go back and read on many of the forums, etc. You will see this actually has been in the works since March or even earlier. I first started to talk with Carl back at the end of May (Almost 4 months ago). I was told to expect a grill (without sensor holders) expressed shipped to me and that it was in transit. It never came. I was then told they shipped it via regular mail. 4 months later that first grill never arrived, so I doubt it was ever shipped.

A couple of weeks later Carl shared they modified the design with the sensor holders included and again that a grill was being express shipped to me. I did receive a tracking number via UPS, however it took about 2 weeks to arrive. With the pandemic and international travel, I can understand, but this was shipping from China, via Canada (I was told) hence the delay.

When I received the grill (keep in mind we are talking now almost 2+ months later, my personal situation had changed and I did not have time to invest in doing a test fit and creating a video install. Not to mention, the original grill that was sent to me (in my opinion) did not meet my expectations for the finish of the paint quality (this feedback was provided and I have it all documented). I solicited the help of another forum member here, who immediately offered to help with the install and video. When he went to do the install, he found the mount posts were about 3/8 too long and would not sit flush until cut back. He also noted that in order to install the front parking sensors, you would need to remove the rubber seal off the parking sensor. Not something he wanted to do as it made the sensor stick too far out from the holder. He was worried about false positive signals. This feedback was again provided. Victor did the install almost immediately that weekend after receiving the grill. No one "wasted" any time and were all eager to help get this test fit. Carl then decided to have me ship the grill to another member who had more time to do the install, take details pictures and provide feedback. I shipped this to the other member within 2 days. He did the install and claimed to be a perfect fit. Not sure how that is possible, but not my story to tell. I can only share what I saw with Victors attempt at the install.

The grill itself seems to be made of a quality ABS plastic 3D printed mold. However some of the fitment and finish issues had me concerned and that feedback was provided. I would assume this has more to do the with delays then us "wasting time." Also, unbeknownst to Carl, I had another member who I am friends with reach out and ask about a conversation he had with Carl about the grill he ordered. None of what he told me (that pertained to me sending him a grill to test with) was accurate. I was not privy to that conversation between this other member and VR, so there is always two sides to a story, but what I was told was not accurate at all.

I normally stay clear of things like this, for this reason. Trying to do something nice for someone, always back fires. I hate that the explanation is that other people have been wasting time, when everyone has been trying their best to help with this in such a timely manner. If you go back and do any research on this at all, you can clear see where the delays and poor information has come from. I don't like my name or a friend of mine, being made out to be the bad guys here.

I hope that everyone gets their grills, they come in perfect and install without any issues at all. I am not confident at all now this is possible and there really is no reason for the delays (in my opinion) other than VR attempting to make sure the fit and finish of the product is good for their users. I hope for one, this turns out to be the case.
I totally understand that, it seems like at the beginning things were getting a little rushed so I can see how there was misinformation etc. I agree though I also don't get involved with stuff like this because I know you'd need a lot of time dedicated to it. But still thanks to you and your friend for figuring out the issues at first to start the work on getting it fixed

Old 09-22-2021, 08:59 AM

Thank's Robc, I hadn't heard back from an email I sent two weeks ago, nor one I sent this morning. I hope it works out too. I'd rather have the grill than my money back. Some communication from them would have gone a long way for reassurance.

Jagauf (09-22-2021)
Old 09-22-2021, 09:14 AM
Received 377 Likes on 174 Posts

My last post here on this. I just messaged Carl and shared my disappointment in blaming their delays and issues with the product on me "wasting time." It doesn't even matter at this point, because arguing over this is plain stupid. He has an excuse for everything and nothing is their fault. For the record, here is the condition of the paint on the grill I received and the same grill that Peter posted the pictures of a successful install with. From a distance, looks great, but up close, needed to be adjusted. Admitted to by Carl when I sent him the same pictures.

I don't know about you, but I would not be okay with spending $650 on a product that looked like this. Carl claims to have multiple happy customers, which makes me glad for them and potentially you if you receive yours. I'd like to think your finish (and hopefully fitment) is spot on.

The following 5 users liked this post by skizot:
JacksonvilleJag (09-23-2021), Jagauf (09-22-2021), Nodnarb (09-22-2021), TheDrainPlug (02-15-2022), Turko (09-22-2021)
Old 09-22-2021, 10:49 AM
Received 52 Likes on 35 Posts

My last post here on this. I just messaged Carl and shared my disappointment in blaming their delays and issues with the product on me "wasting time." It doesn't even matter at this point, because arguing over this is plain stupid. He has an excuse for everything and nothing is their fault. For the record, here is the condition of the paint on the grill I received and the same grill that Peter posted the pictures of a successful install with. From a distance, looks great, but up close, needed to be adjusted. Admitted to by Carl when I sent him the same pictures.

I don't know about you, but I would not be okay with spending $650 on a product that looked like this. Carl claims to have multiple happy customers, which makes me glad for them and potentially you if you receive yours. I'd like to think your finish (and hopefully fitment) is spot on.

Sorry to hear you are being dragged through the mud. The previous posts regarding timeline and fitment from VR didnt seem to add up, and I am glad you decided to make yourself heard.

The above pictures are very concerning. This would be an instant return from me if the product arrives with such a grainy finish. Hopefully thats just poor paint job, but I suppose it could be the plastic itself.

The following 3 users liked this post by Nodnarb:
JacksonvilleJag (09-23-2021), Jagauf (09-22-2021), Spyderturbo007 (10-12-2021)
Old 09-22-2021, 11:06 AM
Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Hoping everyone gets their grill and fit and finish is near perfect.
I did a chargeback a few weeks back. All of this seems suspicious to me. Good luck everyone

The following 2 users liked this post by mrjohnt:
Jagauf (09-22-2021), Nodnarb (09-22-2021)
Old 09-22-2021, 12:21 PM
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Despite the complaints, I will say that the quality of the grille in those pictures still looks better than the one I got from paramount. This looks mostly just like a lesser quality paint job. At least the plastic doesn't have visible mold lines and what not.

Jagauf (09-22-2021)
Old 09-22-2021, 03:29 PM

Thanks for posting these pics, really hope the paint job isn't this bad once we actually get these in.
Hopefully changes were made from the input you provided them

Old 09-22-2021, 04:10 PM
Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts

I'm working on a little project using the Epace grille. You can get aftermarket replacement mesh and pair it with the eBay CF surround. I'm working on relocating the parking sensors to the intake opening below the grille for cleanliness and wire routing. I only had to do some minimal surgery on the mesh (mainly removing the alignment dowels and make 2 notches for the vertical supports on the bottom of the bumper.) Ill gladly post links for those interested who don't have parking sensors.

The following 3 users liked this post by Jagauf:
benfbrown (12-04-2022), Robc2562 (09-22-2021), skizot (09-22-2021)
Old 09-22-2021, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by Jagauf
I'm working on a little project using the Epace grille. You can get aftermarket replacement mesh and pair it with the eBay CF surround. I'm working on relocating the parking sensors to the intake opening below the grille for cleanliness and wire routing. I only had to do some minimal surgery on the mesh (mainly removing the alignment dowels and make 2 notches for the vertical supports on the bottom of the bumper.) Ill gladly post links for those interested who don't have parking sensors.
how is the fitment on the eBay surround?

Old 09-22-2021, 04:20 PM
Obi
Received 65 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Jagauf
Make it for the ftype and you'd definetly get an order!

Old 09-22-2021, 04:32 PM
Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts

The fitment on the Ebay surround was actually alot better than I anticipated, finish was good and the thing slid right in and screwed in with some coated screws. @Obi I don't plan on making any kits, but would do a DIY, since this option is pretty easy to do with a dremel and a drill. Just wasn't happy with the fit and finish on the offerings from the vendors out there, and knew my buddy had an Epace and Ftype both so she measured them one day and I figured, they are so close it's worth a try. All in right now i'm sitting at $460 USD including shipping, which is A-OK with me considering how much the others are going for.

The following 2 users liked this post by Jagauf:
mrjohnt (09-22-2021), MyTypeR (06-08-2022)
Old 09-22-2021, 05:39 PM
Received 222 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by Obi
Make it for the ftype and you'd definetly get an order!
done….

The following 2 users liked this post by gg2684:
mrjohnt (09-23-2021), Robc2562 (09-23-2021)
Old 09-23-2021, 07:10 AM
Obi
Received 65 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by gg2684
done….

Beautiful. Operative words are “make” and “order”, ie make it and I’ll order it from you 😂

Nonetheless where did you get the honeycomb mesh? They look larger than the ones I can find on ebay

Last edited by Obi; 09-23-2021 at 07:12 AM.
Old 09-23-2021, 07:32 AM

I don't want it if it's going to look like this. Fingers crossed.

Nodnarb (09-27-2021)
Old 09-23-2021, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by gg2684
done….

Fitment looks pretty dang good for aftermarket carbon.

Old 09-23-2021, 09:25 AM
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by mrjohnt
Fitment looks pretty dang good for aftermarket carbon.
Just a word of caution on the ebay carbon surround, it's a fiberglass surround. Only the visible portion has a single layer of carbon fiber on it. The fitment is surprisingly good when I test fit it on my car (it was actually on the tighter end), but unfortunately mine didn't even survive shipping. Had a big crack down the middle and various other stress fractures. I'm certain I can repair it, but it's not a high priority at the moment. At least I got a refund for it.

Here's the thread I had on it

Quick Reply: Project 7 grill resources?