Sponsored by:

Prospective new owner with a big question

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 07:40 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Prospective new owner with a big question

Hi all,

A very BIG quick question.....

The testers of this car on You Tube and the like state that the Base Model should be avoided, and everyone should go for the V6S model.

I am looking at buying one of these absolutely beautiful cars, but am really stretching myself if I'm honest... Is the S really worth the extra 9 grand over the Base model?

I am an old school petrol head, so am not really bothered about active suspension, and I'm sure I could stretch to painting the brake calipers?

I'm guessing there will be some aftermarket exhaust systems available soon, so please help me here.. if I need to spend the extra I will...

Regards

Nige

Old 07-09-2013, 08:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 331 Likes on 235 Posts

My view is, if you are going to get the car you want, you should get it with the options you want that are going to keep you elated.

The following are the standard options on the V6S, that aren't present on the V6:

Power folding, heated exterior mirrors with integrated LED turn signals and puddle lamps
Configurable ambient interior lighting with 5 color choices
Jaguar Smart Key System™ with Keyless start and Keyless entry
Limited slip differential
Active Sport Exhaust with center-mounted dual exhaust pipes
Sport suspension with Adaptive Dynamics

Also, i believe the rotors on the V6 are 350 mm and 380 on V6S. Which translates into better braking.

I say go for the V6S.

The following users liked this post:
Nigelr32 (07-09-2013)
Old 07-09-2013, 11:02 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

I had initially ordered the base V6, but was told it would take a long time to get one, so after hemming and hawing, I upgraded to the V6S, which I've now had for about 3 weeks. After 2900 miles, I love it, and I'm glad I went with the V6S.

The dynamic mode is great. I'm glad I can leave it in normal mode for driving around town and for commuting. It's easy off the line, and doesn't make a racket unless you want it to. The ride is amazing - firm but not harsh.

In dynamic mode, it generally selects a lower gear, so you're generally into the power band. It shifts quicker, steering is firmer, and the suspension is tighter. It's a lot of fun, though I haven't thrashed it much.

I believe the V6S is well worth it, but of course, it's up to you - I don't doubt you'd enjoy the base model. I live in the Northeast, where a lot of roads are questionable, and the adaptive suspension is great. I have the standard 19" wheels.

Also, you'd really miss the howl this thing makes when you put your foot down. It really is intoxicating.

I just got back from a vacation, where I had to give rides to 12 family members and friends. I didn't get tired of it.

Last edited by DJS; 07-09-2013 at 01:32 PM.
Nigelr32 (07-09-2013)
Old 07-09-2013, 11:47 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for your input guys.

I hear what you're saying about all the goodies you get on the S model, and that all those goodies make the S something special... I guess I should test drive both really?

I'll be going for black 20" wheels whichever model I decide on, those bigger brakes do sound interesting??

Is the standard base model exhaust really that much quieter than the sports tuned one?

Regards

Nige

Old 07-09-2013, 01:31 PM
DJS
Veteran Member

I haven't heard the base model, but with your foot down, the V6S really sings above about 3K RPM. The V8 is crazy loud - I much prefer the V6S in that regard.

Also, I gather you're in the UK? The models are optioned differently over here, so the prices are different. We get packages, while you can choose some options individually.

Last edited by DJS; 07-09-2013 at 01:33 PM.
Nigelr32 (07-09-2013)
Old 07-12-2013, 11:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 521 Likes on 374 Posts

I was able to test an Base F Type as well as the F Type V6S. I have no complaints about the S as it was very linear, quick, and tight. I was disappointed with the Base F due to the "hunting" of the Transmission to find the right gear. The shifting of the Trans was all over the place and felt sluggish. I will have to drive it again. The V6S is beyond my budget so the Base will have to do if I make the plunge at all.

Old 07-13-2013, 07:29 AM
DJS
Veteran Member

Huh - I don't recall that being mentioned in the many reviews I read. Wonder if there's something wrong with it? Worth discussing it with the dealer.

Old 07-13-2013, 01:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 521 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by DJS
Huh - I don't recall that being mentioned in the many reviews I read. Wonder if there's something wrong with it? Worth discussing it with the dealer.
Actually, a friend of mine had test driven all 3 F Types before I did at a different dealership. He too mentioned the Base F Type as being somewhat sluggish. It may very well not have anything to do with the actually horsepower but more of the electronics/software used in this model for shifting etc. Once I get another car to test drive, I can comment further.

Old 07-15-2013, 08:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got my salsa red V6 - but with lots of options, ie blade wheels, carbon pack, smart key entry, red brake callipers, active sports exhaust (sounds absolutely fabulous) and lots of other bits. Still came to less than the V6S with the extras I would have had on that. I have been walking round with a stupid grin on my face ever since - and just because I am a girl, doesn't mean I drive like one. Last car was a Z4M, so I am used to some performance and I think the V6 is absolutely fine for the overwhelming majority of the time. Mine looks so fabulous it certainly turns a few heads..well, every head actually. No shifting issues noticed.

Old 07-15-2013, 10:51 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Congrats Haley

I suspect you'll love your new ride, Haley. You are correct, that while we may all love the extra horsepower, for most daily driving situations, we will never use it.
Enjoy your car and drive the hell out of it!