Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Protecting the driver's side seat bolster from wear

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2019, 04:32 AM
Banned
Received 56 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Protecting the driver's side seat bolster from wear

Every F-Type I've driven shows wear first on the driver's outside seat bolster. Ideas?

I would rather not cover the entire seats' gorgeous stiching and comfort with cheesy seat covers.

Old 01-01-2019, 08:17 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Great topic! Since parking spots are smaller, garages are smaller, it seems as though I am always squeezing in and out, even with the seat all the way back. I’d like to think that some leather conditioner might help, but it would do nothing more than slow down the wear. Do you think Jaguar would be offended if I used a leopard skin seat cover?

Another thoughts on how to keep the seat belt from hiding a the way behind the seat? I’d like to put some kind of support to keep it within an “easy” arm’s reach. Any ideas? My S2000 has the same problem and I never solved it.

Thanks and happy New Year

Old 01-01-2019, 08:22 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,482 Likes on 1,122 Posts

I leave my seat belt hooked over the side bolster when I take it off - then it's always to hand when I want it. Of course, you have to be careful when you exit not to brush it off the bolster.

Old 01-01-2019, 11:23 AM
Received 81 Likes on 54 Posts

What I have found works for me, is to put the seat back up to close to 90degrees. Seat most the way back. I turn and face out then stand up out of the car. Getting in is the same. Sit down facing out then bring legs in. Yes is a little harder to do when you don't have room to open door all the way.

Is there a leather dye to restore the color of the leather where it has worn?

Old 01-01-2019, 11:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 302 Likes on 173 Posts

I do two things.
1) I set position 3 to the furthest back possible to prevent me from hitting the bolster when sliding in and out. I move the seat to position 3 every time I get out which allows me to enter and exit while minimizing the chance I'll scrub the bolster with my jeans.
2) I pretty much lift myself into the seat by putting my left hand on the sit sills so I really do not touch the bolster at all. This is a bit extreme, but I hate the look of bolster wear.

The following users liked this post:
Don1954 (01-02-2019)
Old 01-01-2019, 12:45 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You guys with your memory seat positions make me jealous.

Old 01-01-2019, 01:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 434 Posts

Originally Posted by Noshame
What I have found works for me, is to put the seat back up to close to 90degrees. Seat most the way back. I turn and face out then stand up out of the car. Getting in is the same. Sit down facing out then bring legs in. Yes is a little harder to do when you don't have room to open door all the way.

There is a guy on eBay in England that has a great product...search eBay for jaguar leather dye...he has all the codes listed...very good product for spot repair or complete refinish..
eBay item 253748344881...that is for my car but there is a link to his store

Last edited by scottjh9; 01-01-2019 at 01:19 PM. Reason: Addition
Noshame (01-02-2019)
Old 01-01-2019, 01:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,261 Likes on 1,366 Posts

Originally Posted by Carlisle Owen
You guys with your memory seat positions make me jealous.
There are two things that you can do, not to minimize the wear on the bolster, but to eliminate it completely: 1) alter the manner of entering the car; put your bum in the seat first, then swing your legs in. This way you do not slide across the bolster. 2) regularly use a GOOD (and that means non-silicone) conditioner on the leather (please, no replies saying that conditioner is useless on modern leathers); the conditioner keeps the surface of the leather soft and lubricated, thus minimizing wear.
Using these two procedures will keep the bolster area entirely unmarked and as close to new as possible. Finally, denim is a very abrasive material on leather that scuffs the leather surface; further, the dye will transfer to the leather so if you can avoid wearing denim in the car, so much the better.

Old 01-01-2019, 02:33 PM
Banned
Received 56 Likes on 47 Posts

I think I found an ok solution. Hobby Lobby peel and stick black felt. I tested it on the back of the seat and it peels off the leather ok, and it would problably be easier if soaked with leather conditioner first. I applied a premptive patch to the middle of the bolster right up to the stitching. It is pliable as it goes on so the curves and contours easy to follow without the felt wrinkling.

Last edited by JIMLIGHTA; 01-01-2019 at 02:40 PM.
Old 01-01-2019, 02:41 PM
Banned
Received 425 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by Noshame

Try a shoe repair shop, you might find a matching leather dye. I found one for the dove interior on my old XJ8 that matched perfectly.
For those looking for a cure for scuffing the seams, a bit of petroleum jelly rubbed in may be the ticket.

Old 01-01-2019, 03:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,226 Likes on 2,380 Posts

I had this problem, see this thread: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...estion-178904/
I never did get around to finishing off that thread, but long story short I gave up on the useless dealership and fixed it myself.
Using a bottle of leather dye from this company: https://www.seatdoctors.com/diy-leather-dye/
Perfect colour match with my red seats, very easy to use (just dribble some on a MF cloth and wipe it on the seat then let it dry, repeat two or three times, no need for any clear coat or thinner), perfect "like new" finish.
I reapply it to the wear area about every six months, it seems that it doesn't matter how careful I am getting in and out of the seat I still rub that part of the bolster a bit.
The owners' name is Andy and he was very good to deal with (by email), and we quickly worked out that he already stocked the correct "Jaguar Red" dye.
Pretty much a racing certainty he also stocks every colour of F-Type seat dye.

Noshame (01-02-2019)
Old 01-01-2019, 05:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Leg strength exercises. With strength training for running softball bases I can now avoid sliding down the bolster regardless of door clearance.

Old 01-01-2019, 07:25 PM
Received 149 Likes on 82 Posts

I grab the wheel for leverage, use my legs for support and never touch the bolsters. A little practice goes a long way.
I would caution those who plan to use dye. You can do a lot more harm than what needed to be fixed if you are not sure of what you are doing.

Old 01-01-2019, 08:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,226 Likes on 2,380 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul champagne
I grab the wheel for leverage, use my legs for support and never touch the bolsters. A little practice goes a long way.
I would caution those who plan to use dye. You can do a lot more harm than what needed to be fixed if you are not sure of what you are doing.
I too had initial reservations about using the Seat Doctors dye but it has been a doddle to use with zero harm done and perfect results.
Of course I can't speak for other dyes, and like all such things good preparation is vital, I simply clean the affected area with filtered water and a MF cloth before applying the dye.

Old 01-01-2019, 11:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 213 Likes on 190 Posts

Every Audi I owned had this problem, they would fix it once on warranty up till about 25k miles. I use the 2 memory method because of my hip but it also save the bolster. Our Maser has the easy entry feature to do this automatically tied to your individual key.

Old 01-02-2019, 02:32 AM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I put my left hand on the side bolster whenever I get in or out the car, so I never touch my butt against the bolster.

Jaggyx (01-02-2019)
Old 01-02-2019, 08:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 591 Likes on 407 Posts

Subscribed! I cringe whenever I get in & out of the car.

My apprehension is not with the bottom seat, but with the side bolster. I too use the Mem3 method and I like the seat all the way erect and back, but AS HIGH AS IT WILL GO for entry & exit. Still, can't keep from sliding against the leather somewhat.

Old 01-02-2019, 11:10 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,482 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by Carbuff2
I like the seat all the way erect and back, but AS HIGH AS IT WILL GO for entry & exit. Still, can't keep from sliding against the leather somewhat.
Er, maybe you slide against the leather because you have the seat so high!

Old 01-02-2019, 11:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 434 Posts

Please forgive a rookie question...is the bolster the slightly upward slanted portion that sits against your hips....thanks

Old 01-02-2019, 11:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 302 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by scottjh9
Please forgive a rookie question...is the bolster the slightly upward slanted portion that sits against your hips....thanks
Against your torso on both sides.

Quick Reply: Protecting the driver's side seat bolster from wear