F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Purchase Date vs In Service Date...

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2018, 10:13 AM
Received 131 Likes on 91 Posts
Default Purchase Date vs In Service Date...

I bought my 2017 F type R in May 2018.
Just called Jaguar USA & was informed that the vehicle has In Service date of Jan 2017.
Shocking to hear that I'm already a year & half into the 5 yr warranty & 5 yr maintenance, & only has 3.5 years left.
Looking back the the sales paperwork, it clearly states that it's a brand new vehicle with 26 miles, so I'm basing the 5 yr warranty & 5 yr maintenance starts on purchase date of May 2018.
I was never informed by the 2 salespersons, sales manager, nor finance manager that the vehicle has already been In Service since Jan 2017.
Jaguar USA HQ Concierge told me to call back the sales manager at the dealer, which I did. Now 2nd business day later, still awaiting his phone call back.
So any sugg about any steps I can take to get back the 1.5 yrs & get the entire 5 yr warranty & maintenance?
Or am I SOL...?

Thanks,

Old 07-17-2018, 10:39 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,112 Likes on 1,410 Posts

Not unusual for cars to be 'punched', i.e. to have the warranty clock ticking before the car is sold. However, for this not be disclosed to you is borderline fraud, IMO. I would suggest to the dealer that they owe you an extended warranty to give you the 5 year warranty you thought (and expected) you were getting. I might also mention that I was going to contact the state Attorney General's office (which I might do anyway.)

Old 07-17-2018, 11:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 992 Likes on 742 Posts

I would contend that 16 months of warranty has tangible (and considerable) value, particularly as it will come off at the end, when you've got more miles on the vehicle. Some accommodation is fully expected. My local dealer advertises cars such as this as "VIP", or Vehicle In Progress (I think that's what it is), but they are clearly listed as cars that have already been put into service, regardless of mileage.

Old 07-17-2018, 12:54 PM
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

When I purchased my 2016 in 2017 the dealer did not specifically point out the in service date being 1.5 years prior but I noticed it on the CPO document.... which ultimately is why it had CPO although the car was never pre-owned / sold by the dealer. Dealer wanted the car off their lot so they ponied up the money to get the CPO certification to make it more appealing. For 30% off sticker I decided to live with it, but they should have pointed it out to you at some point during your negotiations - even if only at closing.

Old 07-17-2018, 03:13 PM
Received 178 Likes on 107 Posts

I just spoke with my service dude and he looked up my car’s in-service date - it shows as the day I bought it (6/30/2108), despite the car being built in feb of 2017. He said they have customers sign something acknowledging the earlier in-service date when applicable. I can’t believe that it won’t be sorted out for you. As others mentioned it would set them up for lawsuits, not to mention horrible reputational damage.

good luck!

Old 07-17-2018, 03:23 PM
Received 82 Likes on 35 Posts

I would tell them that I wanted the car CPOed and five years of free maintenance from the purchase date. If the sales manager can't/won't do this, I would speak directly with the owner of the dealership. I have had occasion to speak with a couple of dealership owners about unresolved problems, and I get the impression that they don't enjoy being blindsided with this sort of thing and will likely do some *** chewing of the underlings to get your problem resolved. Last resort would be Jaguar corporate and then a good attorney. No way I would let this slide, though. You were misled and cheated, and somehow Jaguar needs to rectify that to your satisfaction.

Old 07-17-2018, 09:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 213 Likes on 190 Posts

This was pitched as a new car? Fraud!

Old 07-17-2018, 11:42 PM

Yes, paperwork clearly marked as:
Mileage: 26
3 Boxes:
New: _X_
Used: ___
Demo: ___

The New box was marked with an X. Other 2 boxes were blank. No other indication of VIP or any other notification that the vehicle was already in Service 1.5 yrs ago.

2 business days gone by, Sales Manager haven't called back.
Calling General Manager & Owner next...

Old 07-18-2018, 12:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 157 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by NavyBlue
I bought my 2017 F type R in May 2018.
Just called Jaguar USA & was informed that the vehicle has In Service date of Jan 2017.
Shocking to hear that I'm already a year & half into the 5 yr warranty & 5 yr maintenance, & only has 3.5 years left.
Looking back the the sales paperwork, it clearly states that it's a brand new vehicle with 26 miles, so I'm basing the 5 yr warranty & 5 yr maintenance starts on purchase date of May 2018.
I was never informed by the 2 salespersons, sales manager, nor finance manager that the vehicle has already been In Service since Jan 2017.
Jaguar USA HQ Concierge told me to call back the sales manager at the dealer, which I did. Now 2nd business day later, still awaiting his phone call back.
So any sugg about any steps I can take to get back the 1.5 yrs & get the entire 5 yr warranty & maintenance?
Or am I SOL...?

Thanks,
You might want to search the web for others that had the same experience. I believe others had issues from a non-Texas dealer doing similar that you can likely find from google. No, I did not save any of those references myself and I avoided that dealer when I bought mine.

Old 07-18-2018, 04:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

As already been said, fraudulent. Also, impacts when you were to have maintenance done. My dealer disclosed this to me (76 miles new) and mistakenly had me service the car on my purchase date anniversary. It was sorted out by them, but technically by JLR the car service is required annually or based on mileage from its in service date.

Old 07-18-2018, 05:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 263 Likes on 203 Posts

Yes, paperwork clearly marked as:
Mileage: 26
3 Boxes:
New: _X_
Used: ___
Demo: ___

The New box was marked with an X. Other 2 boxes were blank. No other indication of VIP or any other notification that the vehicle was already in Service 1.5 yrs ago.

2 business days gone by, Sales Manager haven't called back.
Calling General Manager & Owner next...
I think you are going to find "New" just means untitled only. As I have posted over the years this is not uncommon. Up until a few years ago the warranty clock started if a car sat on a dealers lot for more than a year. The dealer usually recieves incentive money to report cars as sold & in turn is able to sell the car for less money. If the car was heavily discounted that would explain how the dealer was able to sell you the car for that price.

Old 07-18-2018, 10:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 157 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by JgaXkr
I think you are going to find "New" just means untitled only. As I have posted over the years this is not uncommon. Up until a few years ago the warranty clock started if a car sat on a dealers lot for more than a year. The dealer usually recieves incentive money to report cars as sold & in turn is able to sell the car for less money. If the car was heavily discounted that would explain how the dealer was able to sell you the car for that price.
As pointed out here the term "NEW" means that it has not been titled so the OPs original paperwork showing it as such is viable. The OP needs to review any other paperwork to identify any place where it shows the cars "in-service" date. As pointed out here, "punching" that is done by many dealer whenever they are a car or two short of quota so it is a VERY COMMON thing in the industry. In most cases, the dealers sell those particular cars the next month but in all cases they are REQUIRED to disclose that detail to the buyer. However, that disclosure may not be required to be in writing. Also, if the OP has a LEASE instead of an out-right purchase, the dealer may not have to disclose the in-service date as long as it's after the end of the lease term because... technically a leasee is only renting the vehicle as Jaguar continues to be the "owner" of it long term but this is pure speculation on my part on this last one. Hopefully the OP will get this all worked out.

Old 07-18-2018, 06:28 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ndabunka
As pointed out here the term "NEW" means that it has not been titled so the OPs original paperwork showing it as such is viable. The OP needs to review any other paperwork to identify any place where it shows the cars "in-service" date. As pointed out here, "punching" that is done by many dealer whenever they are a car or two short of quota so it is a VERY COMMON thing in the industry. In most cases, the dealers sell those particular cars the next month but in all cases they are REQUIRED to disclose that detail to the buyer. However, that disclosure may not be required to be in writing. Also, if the OP has a LEASE instead of an out-right purchase, the dealer may not have to disclose the in-service date as long as it's after the end of the lease term because... technically a leasee is only renting the vehicle as Jaguar continues to be the "owner" of it long term but this is pure speculation on my part on this last one. Hopefully the OP will get this all worked out.
When you lease a car it is owned by the lease compny not Jaguar. Jaguar Financial is actually Chase Auto Finance.

Old 07-19-2018, 01:39 AM
Veteran Member

The in service date must be disclosed by the dealer. It affects the warranty and when the vehicle must be service to comply with JLR regulations. Technically the warranty is voided if the service is not done within a month of when due, or at least that's what I have been told.

Old 07-19-2018, 08:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 283 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by jaguny
The in service date must be disclosed by the dealer. It affects the warranty and when the vehicle must be service to comply with JLR regulations. Technically the warranty is voided if the service is not done within a month of when due, or at least that's what I have been told.
i don’t believe that invalidates the warranty. It means you don’t get the service free covered by the Elite package according to my dealer.

Old 07-19-2018, 06:31 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by stmcknig

i don’t believe that invalidates the warranty. It means you don’t get the service free covered by the Elite package according to my dealer.
I think you will find it does in fact effect the warranty. When the car is reported as sold the warranty clock starts.

Old 07-19-2018, 06:39 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by stmcknig

I would venture that if you missed your specified oil change intervals and you're engine failed, this would come up. I believe it already ha with at least one forum member a I recall.

Old 07-19-2018, 08:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 283 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by JgaXkr
I think you will find it does in fact effect the warranty. When the car is reported as sold the warranty clock starts.
That has nothing to do with the "free" Elite service packages AFAIK. And obviously if you don't do ANY maintenance by way of oil changes and can prove it I can understand why an engine failure claim would come under very close scrutiny.

My point was that when the car signals "hey service me for free", if you miss that by a month or 1000 miles, then it's no longer Jaguar footing the bill at the dealer, you are. Missing one of the Jaguar dealership appointments because you prefer someone else to do the work isn't of itself going to void your warranty. As I understand it no manufacturer can insist that routine maintenance is done within their dealer network to maintain warranty status.

I only live 15 miles from my Jaguar dealership so its no great hardship letting them do the free servicing, but I can appreciate if your nearest is two hours away you might think differently.

Old 07-20-2018, 12:17 PM

Since I didn't hear back from sales manager & owner of dealership after a week, Jaguar USA has logged & issued a case # for this issue.
Said they'll act as liaison to help with this.
Told them I just want a 5 year warranty from date of purchase, not the 3.5 yr left.
Said they'll contact me back next week...

Old 07-20-2018, 07:56 PM
Received 82 Likes on 35 Posts

Since I didn't hear back from sales manager & owner of dealership after a week, Jaguar USA has logged & issued a case # for this issue.
Said they'll act as liaison to help with this.
Told them I just want a 5 year warranty from date of purchase, not the 3.5 yr left.
Said they'll contact me back next week...
Wow. It's unfortunate that the dealership wouldn't even get back to you; that speaks volumes about their integrity. Hopefully Jaguar USA will be able to put some pressure on them.

Quick Reply: Purchase Date vs In Service Date...