F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The quest for 600RWHP - My Build thread.

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2018, 09:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 981 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by sts-v
Im thinking of cutting out the mushroom in the middle, and putting this mesh behind it:
I thought of doing that but the mounting points don't quite work with that cutout. I'm now considering removal but the stock hood vents let enough sun in that the cover is faded around the SUPERCHARGER logos and I don't want to have the stuff underneath get embrittled by the sun.

So far, I've not done anything with it. I'm considering the optional hood vents, removal of the cover, and some sort of heat shield on the underside of the hood. There are four slots to put in plastic inserts to screw something there but I haven't explored that further.

The following users liked this post:
sts-v (02-11-2018)
Old 02-11-2018, 09:19 AM
Banned
Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by lizzardo
I thought of doing that but the mounting points don't quite work with that cutout. I'm now considering removal but the stock hood vents let enough sun in that the cover is faded around the SUPERCHARGER logos and I don't want to have the stuff underneath get embrittled by the sun.

So far, I've not done anything with it. I'm considering the optional hood vents, removal of the cover, and some sort of heat shield on the underside of the hood. There are four slots to put in plastic inserts to screw something there but I haven't explored that further.
That is 100% correct. Had my fabricator over today. If we cut two of the mounts out to replace with mesh, the cover will flop all over the engine bay.

Best option I've found is to hydrodip the cover in gloss black. Then I will mask and tape off the Jaguar and silver emblems on the cover, and paint them firesand orange, and clear it. That should be nice through the hood.

Old 02-11-2018, 12:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

So in your self-declared quest for 600RWHP, how much HP did you gain from your mods so far, like your new painted engine cover?

Old 02-11-2018, 02:53 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by SinF
So in your self-declared quest for 600RWHP, how much HP did you gain from your mods so far, like your new painted engine cover?
Probably not as much as I will from the aforementioned upper and lower pulley, intake, tune, and catless downpipes

Old 02-11-2018, 04:36 PM
Received 241 Likes on 173 Posts

:icon_flamethrow :

Old 02-11-2018, 06:27 PM
Received 150 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by sts-v
That is 100% correct. Had my fabricator over today. If we cut two of the mounts out to replace with mesh, the cover will flop all over the engine bay.

Best option I've found is to hydrodip the cover in gloss black. Then I will mask and tape off the Jaguar and silver emblems on the cover, and paint them firesand orange, and clear it. That should be nice through the hood.
I cut the mounts out and reattached them to the mesh. Well I have Aluminium bar that runs under the mesh, so that I can attached the original mounts to that with epoxy. Worked well.

And SinF why all the hate? STS-V has a dream, let him reach.

sts-v (02-11-2018)
Old 02-11-2018, 08:05 PM
Banned

No worries guys. I'm not lost on the irony of someone with a V6 asking what sweet gains a V8 member got from their mods I think in one post he said the V6 AWD made up the difference for not having a V8 too

Old 02-12-2018, 10:16 AM
Banned

Getting ready to drop off at body shop.

Needs removed ASAP to ship out:
o Remove Hood
o Remove Vents from hood
o Remove Fenders
o Remove Vents from Fenders
o Remove grill, bar in grill, and surround

1. Install Carbon Hood. Paint fiberglass firesand orange, leave carbon exposed pieces carbon. Install aerocatch hood pins, paint orange with hood.
2. Install Fenders. Paint Entire fender except this portion, leave carbon fiber:

3. Install new P7 bumperless grill and surround. Paint both gloss black. Install front parking sensors using the CAD created sensor adaptors. DO NOT LOSE THESE THEY CAME FROM GERMANY 3 MONTH WAIT. Paint bar behind grille and surround a flat black.

4. Paint rocker cover panels split black

5. Install front bumper ground effects, paint gloss black, as well as bottom of front center bumper

6. Align all panels, rear bumper, etc properly

Old 02-12-2018, 11:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

If you are from Ohio, why does your car have Ontario plates?

Old 02-12-2018, 01:01 PM
Banned

If you are from Ohio, why does your car have Ontario plates?
Uh. Its not my car. Thats a picture off the internet.

Old 02-12-2018, 04:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 642 Likes on 411 Posts

I fear those hood pins are gonna look goofy with where you’ll have to place them since it opens backwards.

Old 02-13-2018, 08:47 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Stohlen
I fear those hood pins are gonna look goofy with where you’ll have to place them since it opens backwards.
Yeah, that was a dumb idea I canceled out after more thought.

Old 02-13-2018, 08:16 PM
Banned
Old 02-14-2018, 08:26 AM
Received 149 Likes on 75 Posts

sts-v,
any way you could put that hood on a scale and compare to the stock composite hood? Im not a fan of the clear center but eventually if its a weight savings it would be on the list. following along, also have boxes and boxes of parts being installed waiting for the warm weather.

sts-v (02-14-2018)
Old 02-14-2018, 08:38 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Itismejoshy
sts-v,
any way you could put that hood on a scale and compare to the stock composite hood? Im not a fan of the clear center but eventually if its a weight savings it would be on the list. following along, also have boxes and boxes of parts being installed waiting for the warm weather.
Sure buddy.

Old 02-14-2018, 08:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 642 Likes on 411 Posts

sts-v,
This won’t weigh much less if any. Not a good use of money if lightweighting is your only goal. Steel to carbon fiber makes sense but aluminum is far to light to have a worth while delta.

Old 02-14-2018, 06:32 PM
Received 150 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
I am pondering milling and polishing the heat-x cover. I’m looking for a used one to work on so I don’t have to take the car out of commission.
I like where you are going here.

Old 02-15-2018, 10:33 AM
Received 52 Likes on 33 Posts

sts-v,
I was told there are no weight savings whatsoever. Number 1, it’s a wet carbon fiber, so not lighter than aluminum. And 2, the tempered glass more than counters any weight reduction there MIGHT have been. It’s purely an aesthetic mod.

Itismejoshy (02-15-2018)
Old 02-15-2018, 10:49 AM
Received 149 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by sgvkirbster
I was told there are no weight savings whatsoever. Number 1, it’s a wet carbon fiber, so not lighter than aluminum. And 2, the tempered glass more than counters any weight reduction there MIGHT have been. It’s purely an aesthetic mod.
thank you sir, good info.

Old 02-19-2018, 05:46 PM
Banned

Nice Big Black Rotors and porterfield pads.

Quick Reply: The quest for 600RWHP - My Build thread.