F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

question about auto trans

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2015, 12:10 PM
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Default question about auto trans

While I wait I read the manual. Questions come up. Here's one about about the S trans position.

In other cars the S (for sport) trans position will raise the shift points. That function, however, is not mentioned in the F-Type's manual. Not one word on that. All that's mentioned is the way it changes manual shifting. For example, using the paddles while in S will activate permanent manual operation.

My question: Does S do anything else? According to an instructional video at jaguar.com, in S "the transmission remains in the lower gears for longer." Really? If that's the case, how do you know? Is it explained somewhere, or have you simply noticed higher shift points when in S?

The Dynamic Mode, of course, while in S or D, raises the shift points (if so configured), but I'm wondering about S without Dynamic Mode. How is S different from D (apart from altered manual shifting)?

Thanks.

Old 06-01-2015, 12:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 340 Posts

yes, S will change shift points and you will be in lower gears than D. Unfortunately if you are in S mode (but not manually changing gears), it just shows "S" and not the actual gear you're in.

Old 06-01-2015, 01:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 179 Likes on 153 Posts

You could just listen to the engine/exhaust note while noting what the Rev counter is doing.

Generally, if you move from D to S while driving the gearbox will put in at least one downshift.

Old 06-01-2015, 02:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 295 Likes on 233 Posts

I was cruising on the highway in D doing 80 mph, (8th gear about 1500 RPM) got to my exit, switched over to S and it immediately dropped to 5th, and snap, crackle, pop like mad! This transmission is awesome. I really enjoy it!

Old 06-01-2015, 07:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 606 Likes on 410 Posts

As mentioned above, the primary difference in Sport mode is a change is shift points - up and down. If you want to manually control shifting on the stick, you need to be in Sport mode. However, you can use the paddle shifters from either position. One difference: If you're in Drive mode and invoke the paddles, the car will automatically revert to normal "Drive" mode when it senses you've returned to steady-state; however, in Sport mode, if you jump in with the paddles, it stays in manual mode. In either case, you can "force" it back to automatic by holding the up-shift paddle a few seconds.

Old 06-02-2015, 11:23 AM
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TXJagR
This transmission is awesome. I really enjoy it!
I'll second this. My wife and I have a pattern of generally owning one vehicle big enough to put our dogs in the back and a second one that's a 2-seat sports car. That car has been everything from a Miata to a BMW M Roadster, but has ALWAYS been a manual transmission. Buying a sports car with an automatic was never even discussed.

Jaguar pretty much changed all that for me with this automatic. I had heard good things about it and was looking for a 2015 model still on the lot, so the 6-speed wasn't an option. I decided I might as well test drive one anyway since we both loved the look of the car, even it I had to "settle" for an automatic. I was more than surprised. It's easily the best automatic transmission I've ever experienced and if I didn't know better I'd assume it was a twin clutch setup similar to BMW's DCT or Porsche's PDK transmissions.

Old 06-02-2015, 01:15 PM
Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts

I've found using the paddles while in auto mode quite disconcerting. It takes several shifts to get to the gear I want, and I don't know what gear it's in when I start downshifting, so I need to keep my eyes off the road longer.
It's better in dynamic mode, even without sport mode, because it's closer to the right gear.

Old 06-02-2015, 01:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 179 Likes on 153 Posts

Reprogramme it so that it only activates the paddles in Sport.

Old 06-02-2015, 03:14 PM
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by F-typical
You could just listen to the engine/exhaust note while noting what the Rev counter is doing.
Generally, if you move from D to S while driving the gearbox will put in at least one downshift.
I could if I had my car, which I won't for 10 weeks. But the 2nd part of your reply, plus TXJagR's reply, answered my question.

So it seems that S serves 2 purposes: (a) It changes the functioning of manual shifting, and (b) it raises the shift points. So of the 4 parameters modified by Dynamic Mode (throttle response, gearbox, steering and suspension), it only affects 1.

Now I'm wondering: If you're in D w/Dynamic Mode—therefore with higher shift points—will shifting to S raise the shift points even more (cumulative effect), or do they (Dynamic Mode and S) do basically the same thing to the revs, so that 1 w/o the other is no different than engaging both?

You'd think Jag might have explained this somewhere... nope. Maybe someone here knows.

Last edited by Frenchy; 06-02-2015 at 03:16 PM.
Old 06-02-2015, 03:21 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,112 Likes on 1,410 Posts

I think most of us know. I use Dynamic most of the time, with paddles disabled. When I then switch to S (for D+S), the shift points are higher, and it holds the gears longer. I don't actually like it that way, so I reserve S+D for paddle shifting.

The following users liked this post:
Frenchy (06-02-2015)
Old 06-02-2015, 05:34 PM
Received 89 Likes on 57 Posts

You will DEFINITELY know the difference.

My V6S loafs around town in drive; I'm happy to leave it in ECO mode, quiet in my home town, it gets up into 8th gear as quickly as it can.

That "tiny little switch" next to the shifter: press it for Dynamic and suddenly "this changes everything" and you have a very angry cat. Switching the shifter left to Sport I'm not so experienced with. But you will definitely notice the difference between normal drive mode and dynamic.

In Dynamic I keep the suspension "normal" as I find the dynamic suspension setting a bit to harsh for normal roads; can't wait for a track day...

Old 06-02-2015, 07:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 606 Likes on 410 Posts

Dynamic is my normal daily driving mode - with all configurable settings "on." It turns up the exhaust, blocks Eco, and keeps the car in fun mode. I only turn it off if seriously stuck in traffic (fortunately rare). I leave the paddles active and use them a fair amount. I agree it's a bit of a guess as to what gear it will use when you first engage the paddles, but I can generally anticipate when to simply double-paddle. If you're about to get serious, move the stick into Sport. It will generally go directly to a more aggressive gear and the paddles stay active. All 2-lane open roads are for Sport.

Admittedly, almost everything I've ever owned came with a clutch, and driving the e-Type around DC was the only time I wished for something different. I'm pleased to say that the F-Type changes all that. It's a proper gearbox that's fast and fun while letting you be lazy when the mood/traffic dictates.

The following users liked this post:
Foosh (06-02-2015)
Old 06-02-2015, 09:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Well said, uncheel!