F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about programming a new smart key

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2018, 02:45 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Question about programming a new smart key

I just recently purchased a 2014 F-Type S convertible that only came with one smart key fob. The dealer I purchased it from(which is not a Jaguar dealership) said they would get a 2nd key from their local Jag dealer and send it to me. I got it in the mail today, but when I pressed the buttons on it nothing happened as if it's not being recognized by the car. I called the dealer and they said it will take some time for the car to recognize the key and that I needed to hold it up by the vent next to the steering wheel. I've tried that several times now, but I'm still getting nothing. I did some reading around online and saw someone say it's not possible to get one of these keys programmed unless you actually have the car at the dealership so I'm wondering if that's true and if my dealer just lied to me about getting me an already programmed key. Any info you could give me would be very appreciated. Thanks.

Old 04-19-2018, 06:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,226 Likes on 2,380 Posts

I'm 99% sure the dealer told you a porky, and the only way to get the second key working is to take the car and both keys to a JLR dealership and have them program the key using their SDD equipment. And be prepared to be bent over for the cost of getting this done.

Old 04-19-2018, 07:49 PM

I found another old post on here that said if you go to a Jaguar dealership with your registration and your working fob that they can program the new one for you without the car actually having to be there. No idea if that's true or not, but it was posted by a member here some time ago.

The following users liked this post:
andykreb (04-21-2018)
Old 04-20-2018, 07:11 PM

Anyone else have thoughts or information on this?

Old 04-20-2018, 09:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 283 Likes on 214 Posts

Pretty sure you have to have all keys you want to work with your car at the programming session. Any missing keys will be rendered non working. I think the usual charge is about an hour of shop time.

Old 04-21-2018, 01:29 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try replacing the battery in the key fob.

I had a similar problem caused by low battery

The following users liked this post:
eljefe1951 (04-29-2021)
Old 04-21-2018, 02:48 PM
Veteran Member

New keys have to be paired to the car to join the existing “family”.

Old 04-21-2018, 05:39 PM
Received 4,458 Likes on 2,427 Posts

Since 2015 (or late 2014, hard to say when exactly) JLR changed the way that keys are programmed, in response to a wave of vehicle thefts in the UK where the thieves were programming new keys to cars and simply driving them away.

The KVM (Keyless Vehicle Module) also known as RFA (Remote Function Actuator) was changed to be read-only, and can no longer have a new key programmed to it, so to program a new key to the vehicle, the KVM and any existing keys needs to be replaced.

Makes it quite an expensive exercise.

You may be lucky with a 2014 car it could still have the older software in it which would still allow a new key to be programmed but the catch-22 is if the car goes back to the dealer for any key/security related matters, the software in the KVM get's updated to the new version which does not allow keys to be programmed...

The dealer you bought the car from simply giving you a new key without programming is feeding you lines.

There are some 3rd party key programming tools which can bypass all of this additional security, but finding an independent automotive locksmith who has one of these tools may not be so easy...

Old 04-21-2018, 08:19 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Cambo
Since 2015 (or late 2014, hard to say when exactly) JLR changed the way that keys are programmed, in response to a wave of vehicle thefts in the UK where the thieves were programming new keys to cars and simply driving them away.

The KVM (Keyless Vehicle Module) also known as RFA (Remote Function Actuator) was changed to be read-only, and can no longer have a new key programmed to it, so to program a new key to the vehicle, the KVM and any existing keys needs to be replaced.

Makes it quite an expensive exercise.

You may be lucky with a 2014 car it could still have the older software in it which would still allow a new key to be programmed but the catch-22 is if the car goes back to the dealer for any key/security related matters, the software in the KVM get's updated to the new version which does not allow keys to be programmed...

The dealer you bought the car from simply giving you a new key without programming is feeding you lines.

There are some 3rd party key programming tools which can bypass all of this additional security, but finding an independent automotive locksmith who has one of these tools may not be so easy...
Ruh-roh and I thought my LR3 was a pain in the **** to get a new key for. Better keep an eye on those F-Type keys...