F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about reliability

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2016, 04:58 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Question about reliability

Hey guys, Ive had my f-type v6s for about 3 weeks now. Already have 1300 miles on it and I have loved every mile of it.

Now I love the power, but you cant have too much right? I would love to do the Pulley/tune but obviously have to worry about the warranty and from what I can see there is no way of doing this without the dealer finding out.

I come from a family that has loved Jaguar for a very very long time. My mom had a XK8 convert which is currently being restored and my dad had multiple XJ8s one of them being a vandar plus.

Through the years ive seen the xk8 specifically have some major issues. I was driving that thing once and after 2 full throttle runs the engine blew with about 60-70k miles on it. If that wasnt enough the engine blew a second time with my dad driving it and that time no full throttle runs. Later the transmission had to be replaced. This has put a fear in my mind about Jaguars reliability. In addition to that I have heard a couple of stories of v6 F-type engines being replaced with low miles.

What are the chances of the ECU tune/Pulley causing the engine to blow? How can I gauge my car to see if its one of those problem cars? Id like to keep it stock for at least 5-10k miles before I do anything hopefully in that time it will make me see weather or not its going to be a problem if I put some additional power in it.

Are these cars really not reliable or is it just haters talking?

Old 10-06-2016, 05:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 724 Likes on 499 Posts

These cars have been pretty darn good. Lots of old thoughts around poor Jag reliability are still dying hard. Also we live in a culture that thinks all things should be perfect out of the box even though they never are.

Does this car have the occasional problem, yes. Is it more than other cars, maybe some but not most. Also the majority of "complaints" have been software related rather than mechanical. Give mea software problem over a mechanical reliability one any day. Software is a simple upload away from correction.

Old 10-06-2016, 08:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

My local performance shop refused to touch the car until after at least 5000 miles citing the fact that most weak engines will fail early on. Their suggestion was to comply with the break-in instructions for the first 3000 miles and then to drive it hard for another 3000 miles after an oil change. Then, bring it back for tuning if it's still in one piece. I have no problems getting warranty coverage on everything but the engine, and I would fully expect to ante up for any engine repair that might be required. There are risks involved with tuning, but if done by someone who knows what they are doing, the risks can be managed.

Old 10-06-2016, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by Mbourne
These cars have been pretty darn good. Lots of old thoughts around poor Jag reliability are still dying hard. Also we live in a culture that thinks all things should be perfect out of the box even though they never are.

Does this car have the occasional problem, yes. Is it more than other cars, maybe some but not most. Also the majority of "complaints" have been software related rather than mechanical. Give mea software problem over a mechanical reliability one any day. Software is a simple upload away from correction.
Thats true software would be a simple fix. I had a BMW before this and it was a nightmare engine and electrical. Im just hoping that it isent just my badluck with cars lol.

Originally Posted by Unhingd
My local performance shop refused to touch the car until after at least 5000 miles citing the fact that most weak engines will fail early on. Their suggestion was to comply with the break-in instructions for the first 3000 miles and then to drive it hard for another 3000 miles after an oil change. Then, bring it back for tuning if it's still in one piece. I have no problems getting warranty coverage on everything but the engine, and I would fully expect to ante up for any engine repair that might be required. There are risks involved with tuning, but if done by someone who knows what they are doing, the risks can be managed.

Yeah thats pretty much my plan. Im almost at break in, and after I will be giving it a hard time to see what type of engine I have How much do these engines cost to fix do you think? I would gues a 5-7grand? If im not wrong the XK8 motor cost 6k to fix.

Old 10-06-2016, 10:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by AHB900
How much do these engines cost to fix do you think?
Depends on what breaks. Throw a rod and I'm betting an engine replacement could run $20-25k.

Old 10-06-2016, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Depends on what breaks. Throw a rod and I'm betting an engine replacement could run $20-25k.
Wow well that really doesn't sound appealing at all.

Old 10-12-2016, 10:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 330 Likes on 257 Posts

Wow well that really doesn't sound appealing at all.
That's not surprising and close to what most high end vehicle's engine replacement costs would be.....good thing that I haven't even heard of one F type catastrophic engine failure. Lots of complaints about the stereo speakers though! LOL

Dave

Old 10-12-2016, 11:45 AM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Are these cars really not reliable or is it just haters talking?
It's haters hating actually. 99.9% of people don't have any first handed experience one way or the other but just love to repeat stories they heard from 'some guy'.

A brand new crate engine from Jag would be around $20kish but used engines from scrap yards are a fraction of that. Not much supply or demand though.

Old 10-12-2016, 12:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 330 Likes on 257 Posts

99% of all F type problems discussed on here seem to be electrical and/or minor fit and finish issues (common to all cars). Actual mechanical/driveline problems or failures seem likewise limited to electronics and computer managment systems.....and seem fairly rare. Hardware or quality control issues on mechanical items? Crickets....nada....diddly. The only things I can think of are the early V6 manual clutch issues and periodic failure of the exhaust valves requiring a muffler replacement.....I'm sure there are a couple more....and I'm equally sure they are also minor. I remain amazed that any actual hardware problems are almost unheard of.

2 cents,
Dave