Sponsored by:

question about tires

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2016, 07:38 PM
LMS
Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Frenchy
Getting back to my question...

I'm surprised and puzzled by the responses which range from 8k to 16k miles. This is among drivers who don't track their car. I don't see how street driving style could account for the disparity. Anyway, it is what it is and I appreciate the replies.
Well, as I was looking to see the size on my car, I felt the wear bars on the rears, so prolly should have replaced them a while ago.....

Old 04-22-2016, 07:20 AM
Received 101 Likes on 71 Posts

My rears lasted about 8k, replaced with pss. There like night and day compared with the pirelli's.

Old 04-22-2016, 07:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

In the past I made a mistake of driving good cars with shitty tires, because why replace non-worn tires? Big mistake.

This time around I am getting decent tires right away. Have an appointment to put on PSS. I will keep PZ and will put them on as 'new tires' when it is time to sell or trade in the car. If I never sell the car, they will dry rot in the basement.

Old 04-22-2016, 08:14 AM
Received 106 Likes on 81 Posts

SinF that is a great idea, except that I do not have any place to store 4 20" tires. I might have to look harder.
Larry

Old 04-22-2016, 08:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by SinF
In the past I made a mistake of driving good cars with shitty tires, because why replace non-worn tires? Big mistake.
This is hyperbole. While there is no question in my mind that the PSS is a better tire, the PZero is far from a s****y tire.

The following users liked this post:
Grumpy Finn (04-22-2016)
Old 04-22-2016, 09:09 AM

I agree with SinF. I have found that the OEM provided tire is never as good as replacement options, even when the OEM has been some sort of Michelin. I have always blamed that on "deals" between the tire and car OEMs. I certainly did not care for the P-Zeros on my Porsche, but I have always been biased towards Michelin and Conti.
In my case, with a 3 year lease, I like SinF's idea to get PSS's on there now and put the Pirelli's back on before I turn the car in. I am going to have to buy a set of tires eventually anyhow so why not enjoy some PSS's now?
Larry

Old 04-22-2016, 09:17 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by lsbrodsky
I agree with SinF. I have found that the OEM provided tire is never as good as replacement options, even when the OEM has been some sort of Michelin. I have always blamed that on "deals" between the tire and car OEMs. I certainly did not care for the P-Zeros on my Porsche, but I have always been biased towards Michelin and Conti.
In my case, with a 3 year lease, I like SinF's idea to get PSS's on there now and put the Pirelli's back on before I turn the car in. I am going to have to buy a set of tires eventually anyhow so why not enjoy some PSS's now?
Larry
No reason why not, it's your choice and your money. I don't disagree w/ anyone's decision to go w/ a "better" tire. As I said PSS is a better tire, but to call PZero a "s****y tire is an overstatement. They have frequently been the OEM tire for the 911 and many high-end marques.

Last edited by Foosh; 04-22-2016 at 09:19 AM.
Old 04-22-2016, 10:04 AM
Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
No reason why not, it's your choice and your money. I don't disagree w/ anyone's decision to go w/ a "better" tire. As I said PSS is a better tire, but to call PZero a "s****y tire is an overstatement. They have frequently been the OEM tire for the 911 and many high-end marques.
I don't thing it's much of an overstatement actually. I think calling it THE shyttyest tire would be and overstatement but just saying it's shytty is pretty fair and accurate. I don't think he was saying they are the worst tire out there. Pirelli has skated by on the power of it's name for years. It has managed to secure rights to be the OEM tire on many high end marks for sure and the only reason I can come up with is money.

Whether that means money is being paid, or money is being saved is anyones guess but the massive disparity between Pzeros and it's competition leaves little to the imagination.

Don't just take my word for it, the numbers tell the truth. Monsters of Grip: Nine Summer-Performance Tires Tested Comparison Tests - Page 2 - Car and Driver

Old 04-22-2016, 12:25 PM

I know every car forum has endless threads about tires. Part of the problem is that reviews and opinions are never exactly you and how you drive, unless you only track your car.
I think what is interesting here is that F-Type drivers seem to uniformly like the PSS tires after they install them. The PSS tires have captured that opinion on other forums as well. For the most part, Michelin has always maintained a good reputation for any kind of tire. I found an exception to that with the tires that were on my wife's E350, but it is the only exception for me and I have put Michelins on most of my cars.
I have been puzzled by Pirellis on high end cars. Decades ago, when I was into autocrossing, rallying, and more performance stuff, Pirellis had a terrible reputation, especially for short life. Like I said, I would prefer to see my cars, new, come with Michelin or Continental.
I shouldn't be hard to please because I do not run my car at the limit. I want ride comfort, low noise, and wet/dry performance that allows me to use some of the capabilities of the car. I have to believe there are a lot of guys like me but tire manufacturers seem to only produce for "summer" performance when you buy a sports car. Maybe I just cannot have it all...
Larry

Old 04-22-2016, 12:54 PM
Veteran Member

Yes, endless threads, and if the PSS were OEM on something there would be threads talking about how s****y they are. A lot of it is also a function of "self-fulfilling prophecy." Chances are you're going to like whatever new tires you put on a car better than what you took off. Another fact is that people are usually comparing new to worn tires.

I'd bet good money that on a blind test, people would quite possibly rate new PZeros higher than semi-worn PSS.

Old 04-22-2016, 01:18 PM

You are absolutely right that worn tires color the outlook! But, I remember in my Vette I hated the rf Goodyears and went to Michelins, still runflats, after 1000 miles. The difference was AMAZING. Sound, comfort, and handling. I'm gonna enjoy some PSS's on my F-Type and let the next owner have the Pirellis.

Larry

Old 04-22-2016, 03:50 PM
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I don't have an F-Type.....but I do have a late model XKR. I have the Potenzas on my cat and they are a very solid tire. They grip very well on hard acceleration and handle well enough on the roads to make me smile coming out of a corner hard. I bought my XKR used and the Potenzas came on the car so I can't say how they compare to another tire on that car.

Price wise they are tough to beat.

The Pilot Super Sports have their legions of fans.....I have never had them on a car so I can't comment. I'll also give a thumbs up to the Continental Extreme Contact tires. I have them on my BMW 535i. They handle well enough for street driving. They wear well....but most of all they are really quiet!!!!

Old 04-22-2016, 04:21 PM
Received 68 Likes on 39 Posts

I am enjoying reading your experiences with your tires, and the majority seem to like the Michelin PSS. But I am feeling left out. I have a 2016 Base coupe, and mine came with the Continentals. What's the experience there? Am I the only one who has them? So far they have performed well for me on dry roads, but it has been a long winter here at 8000+ ft in Colorado, and I haven't been able to drive that much. I've never had summer performance tires on a car before. My biggest question is how they will perform on wet roads as I travel east for Lobster Run, not that I plan to drive like a madman to get there. Guess I'm going to find out.

Old 04-22-2016, 06:38 PM

Yes, endless threads, and if the PSS were OEM on something there would be threads talking about how s****y they are. A lot of it is also a function of "self-fulfilling prophecy." Chances are you're going to like whatever new tires you put on a car better than what you took off. Another fact is that people are usually comparing new to worn tires.

I'd bet good money that on a blind test, people would quite possibly rate new PZeros higher than semi-worn PSS.
There is no prophecy in numbers. Those are just what they are no matter what you want them to be. I've yet to see modern PZeros finish very well when compared to it's competition, it's not a mind game, just reality. They aren't that great of a tire, especially considering how much they cost. I didn't mean to hit a nerve.

Last place
Tire Test Results : Clash of the Titans: Testing Two New Max Performance Summer Heavy Hitters

Pirelli P Zero | the Pirelli P Zero reviewed and rated - TyreReviews
vs
Michelin Pilot Super Sport | the Michelin Pilot Super Sport reviewed and rated - TyreReviews

5th place
Pirelli P Zero review | Tyre reviews: best tyres 2015 | Auto Express

Old 04-22-2016, 08:06 PM
LMS
Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by SinF
This time around I am getting decent tires right away. Have an appointment to put on PSS. I will keep PZ and will put them on as 'new tires' when it is time to sell or trade in the car
That's a great idea, and I sure as hell wish I would have thought of it two years ago.

Old 04-22-2016, 10:27 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Overblown
There is no prophecy in numbers. Those are just what they are no matter what you want them to be. I've yet to see modern PZeros finish very well when compared to it's competition, it's not a mind game, just reality. They aren't that great of a tire, especially considering how much they cost. I didn't mean to hit a nerve.

Last place
Tire Test Results : Clash of the Titans: Testing Two New Max Performance Summer Heavy Hitters

Pirelli P Zero | the Pirelli P Zero reviewed and rated - TyreReviews
vs
Michelin Pilot Super Sport | the Michelin Pilot Super Sport reviewed and rated - TyreReviews

5th place
Pirelli P Zero review | Tyre reviews: best tyres 2015 | Auto Express
LOL . . . you didn't, but you seem to have trouble understanding my point. I believe I said all along that I also agree the PSS is a better tire, but that does not make the PZero a "s****y" tire.

The reviews you linked are comparisons of what are considered to be the best max performance tires. It's still a very capable high performance tire, and a good driver on PZeros will still leave the average driver on PSS far behind.

You should read more carefully the reviews you linked because they supported my views nicely . . . thanks for that. In the linked Tire Rack lap-time test, the PZero was #2 behind PSS by 2/10 sec. In another one of your links where it finished 5th out of 11, it scored essentially the same as #3 and #4.

One of the reason it often ranks lower than others in many tests is because of categories such as comfort, fuel economy, and noise, which most enthusiasts theoretically shouldn't care about as much, but subjectively they do. In "go fast" categories, it's always near the top, and always ranks very high on grip (just a hair behind the PSS), which in my book is most important.

Last edited by Foosh; 04-22-2016 at 11:38 PM.
Old 04-23-2016, 03:13 AM

LOL . . . you didn't, but you seem to have trouble understanding my point. I believe I said all along that I also agree the PSS is a better tire, but that does not make the PZero a "s****y" tire.

The reviews you linked are comparisons of what are considered to be the best max performance tires. It's still a very capable high performance tire, and a good driver on PZeros will still leave the average driver on PSS far behind.

You should read more carefully the reviews you linked because they supported my views nicely . . . thanks for that. In the linked Tire Rack lap-time test, the PZero was #2 behind PSS by 2/10 sec. In another one of your links where it finished 5th out of 11, it scored essentially the same as #3 and #4.

One of the reason it often ranks lower than others in many tests is because of categories such as comfort, fuel economy, and noise, which most enthusiasts theoretically shouldn't care about as much, but subjectively they do. In "go fast" categories, it's always near the top, and always ranks very high on grip (just a hair behind the PSS), which in my book is most important.
No I understand your point. I just disagree with it. Perhaps you don't understand mine. Considering how much the Zeros cost, and how many high performance cars come with them as OEM, and they still fall behind in every review, and very few people like them enough to buy them again plus many take them off when still new because they can't stand them, I think they are a shyty tire. I didn't say the shytyest tire ever and they are completely worthless and shouldn't even exist.

It's not the tires fault anyway. It's a REALLY old design that was good in it's day but now can't keep up. 0.2sec is a big deal on a race track.