F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question About Vehicle Features (from TOPIx)

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2019, 02:40 AM
Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Question About Vehicle Features (from TOPIx)

I'm considering a 2017-8 F-Type R-Dynamic (aka V6S) with the following features (of many):
  • FORWARD FACING CAMERA
  • LANE DEPARTURE WARNING SYSTEM
  • REVERSE PARKING AID
  • LESS AUTOMATED PARKING SYSTEM
  • LESS BLIND SPOT MONITORING SYS
  • LESS CAMERA
  • LESS FRONT PARKING AID
It seems that the vehicle has rear parking sensors, but not a reversing camera or blind spot monitoring. Am I reading this correctly?

Old 12-06-2019, 02:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by andrew0068
I'm considering a 2017-8 F-Type R-Dynamic (aka V6S) with the following features (of many):
  • FORWARD FACING CAMERA
  • REVERSE PARKING AID
  • LESS CAMERA
  • LESS FRONT PARKING AID
It seems that the vehicle has rear parking sensors, but not a reversing camera or blind spot monitoring. Am I reading this correctly?
That appears to be correct. Everybody I know that has had a lane departure warning system has had them disabled. It’ll drive you nuts. The other stuff that isn’t included is far more useful.

Old 12-06-2019, 03:02 AM

Originally Posted by Unhingd
That appears to be correct. Everybody I know that has had a lane departure warning system has had them disabled. It’ll drive you nuts. The other stuff that isn’t included is far more useful.
Thanks. What's a "Forward facing camera"? Hard to imagine WHY someone would spec a car like this without a "Front Parking Aid", especially on a generally well-specced car.

Old 12-06-2019, 03:48 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,460 Likes on 1,105 Posts

The Forward Facing Camera is used to recognise speed limit signs which are then displayed in the message center. Nice to have (so long as it's accurate!) but not essential. I don't think it has other uses, maybe others can confirm or deny.

Old 12-06-2019, 03:57 AM

Originally Posted by scm
The Forward Facing Camera is used to recognise speed limit signs which are then displayed in the message center. Nice to have (so long as it's accurate!) but not essential. I don't think it has other uses, maybe others can confirm or deny.
Gothcha. I recently drove the new XE and it had that feature, which I thought was pretty neat.

Old 12-06-2019, 10:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by andrew0068
  • FORWARD FACING CAMERA
  • REVERSE PARKING AID
  • LESS CAMERA
  • LESS FRONT PARKING AID
I would read it the same way. I test drove cars with and without the rear camera and personally I would say that this is a pre-requisite. The rear visibility is not the greatest and i have already used the camera a lot. Others I wouldnt worry abt personally of course

Old 12-06-2019, 12:17 PM
Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by scm
That is a lot of technology. My early 14 has zippo and reading this thread makes me think a trade-up to a latter MY might be a good idea. I thought the MY 20 might be perfect since they are relatively close to the original design and would have a lot of content. But something to be researched.

Now for your question. On a Benz the cameras feed the distronic cruise control and will speed up or slow down the car to match the prevailing speed limit. What they do on a JLR is beyond me. The fact that the vehicle in question does not have a blind spot warning system surprises me. I thought that feature was a standard and expected as a steering wheel.

The way these cars are equipped never ceases to amaze me.

Last edited by Suaro; 12-06-2019 at 12:20 PM.
Old 12-06-2019, 12:17 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,460 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Originally Posted by ayrejc
I test drove cars with and without the rear camera and personally I would say that this is a pre-requisite.
The F-Type is the first car I've had with a rear camera and after nearly two years I still don't use it - I'm much more comfortable relying on side mirrors and parking sensors for precision parking. I find the angle of view confuses me about distances, the sensors are more reliable for me.

Old 12-08-2019, 09:58 AM
Banned
Received 226 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by ayrejc
I would read it the same way. I test drove cars with and without the rear camera and personally I would say that this is a pre-requisite. The rear visibility is not the greatest and i have already used the camera a lot. Others I wouldnt worry abt personally of course
I agree that the convertible needs a rear camera especially at night with the Jag wind deflector in place. It becomes mostly opaque at night.

To solve the vis problem I first replaced the wind deflector with plexiglass, a huge improvement over the Jag mesh.

Next I added an $80 rearview mirror digital display that adds a rear and front camera. It is excellent as it also records a 24 hour loop to a 16GB MicroSD card with a bump sensor to start recording if someone bumps into you while the car is not on. You get 1080P in almost a full 360, plus you can scan up and down by swiping your finger on the RVM display to look almost straight down at curbs.

It's so much better than a backup cam that even if you have one I would highly recommend adding a better aftermarket version. It takes 30 minutes to install and costs almost nothing.

I have used many lane departure systems since I rent weekly, and they were all extremely dangerous but the E-Pace's was the worst, bcs it the emergencyaspect could not be disabled. If a car approached quickly from the left or right rear, it would grab the wheel and swerve you hard into the opposite concrete barrier or car. A disaster of a system. Do not by a car with lane assist or any steering intervention.

Last edited by RacerX; 12-08-2019 at 10:01 AM.
Old 12-08-2019, 01:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 579 Likes on 397 Posts

Originally Posted by RacerX
I added an $80 rearview mirror digital display that adds a rear and front camera. It is excellent.
I told Santa Claus that you were BAD because you didn't include a LINK to the unit.

Whups, I see you did here: Gotta tell those elves...

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...3/#post2128143

Last edited by Carbuff2; 12-08-2019 at 01:39 PM.
Old 12-08-2019, 02:34 PM
Banned
Received 226 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by Carbuff2
I told Santa Claus that you were BAD because you didn't include a LINK to the unit.

Whups, I see you did here: Gotta tell those elves...

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...3/#post2128143
Yeah there are a lot ranging from 50 to 100 bucks.