F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question On Basic VAP Tune for V6

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2020, 11:54 AM
Received 368 Likes on 236 Posts
Default Question On Basic VAP Tune for V6

Forgive my ignorance but I have a couple of basic questions regarding the VAP Tune for a V6. Due to warranty concerns on a new car, I would prefer not to be monkeying with taking the thing apart to add the pulley option. So for $995 for the tune only I would get around 416 hp from the V6. That would be fine.

1. Is the tune something that is just software and maybe a cable to interface with the computer input on the car, and can be installed as a DIY from a laptop in my own garage, or does it require a shop to install it and have it work properly ?
2. If the car has the tune performed, will it then fail a smog test ?

Comments are appreciated

Old 12-14-2020, 12:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 374 Likes on 280 Posts

1. I don't know what year your car is, so the direct instructions may vary. However, it is something that requires a device and software. The basic premise is that you will receive a device that can connect to your car. You will connect to your car, and download it's programming. You will send this to VAP. VAP will send you updated programming that you will put onto the device, and then push to your car.

2. I don't know about CA smog test, but the tune is reversible. The device you receive will end up with two programs on it. Your original tune and your VAP modified tune. You can flash back and forth when you need to...

Old 12-14-2020, 12:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

For years up to 2017(I think) the process is:

Buy the tune from VAP
They send you a flasher
You use the flasher to get your cars' tune file
You send that file to VAP to be edited.
VAP sends it back to you to flash to your car.

To my knowledge nobody on this forum has reported an issue passing smog tests with the tune installed including me.
I did this on a 2014 V6S back in either 2016 or 2017 can't remember. You might also need to down load a small piece of software to a windows laptop to interface the file transfers to the flasher but can't remember for sure.

For years after 2017 I think they let you borrow a flasher to do the tuning process.

Last edited by RGPV6S; 12-14-2020 at 12:56 PM.
Old 12-16-2020, 07:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 992 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by Mahjik
1. I don't know what year your car is, so the direct instructions may vary. However, it is something that requires a device and software. The basic premise is that you will receive a device that can connect to your car. You will connect to your car, and download it's programming. You will send this to VAP. VAP will send you updated programming that you will put onto the device, and then push to your car.

2. I don't know about CA smog test, but the tune is reversible. The device you receive will end up with two programs on it. Your original tune and your VAP modified tune. You can flash back and forth when you need to...
The first time you flash it does result in a permanent code being written that indicates a non-factory device was used to update the firmware. The code persists even when the original file is written back. I have not heard of any problems from this, but my dealer did mention it to me at the first service after I applied the tune, even though I restored it to stock before servicing. That was with years of warranty left, and I've not been questioned about it since. I'm not sure what goes on with later models.