F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

question re: temperature gauge

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2015, 07:00 PM
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Default question re: temperature gauge

This concerns the MY16 V6S. The temperature gauge is the left right of a circle. At the bottom there is a very small blue zone and at the top, a very small red zone. At the exact middle mark there is a pointer THAT NEVER BUDGES (at least on mine). The manual says: "If the pointer moves onto the red line, the engine is overheating." So... um, the pointer stays put until and unless the engine overheats, at which time it moves to the red?? On a normal temperature gauge the pointer moves as the engine warms up. Not so on the F-Type? Or do I have a malfunction?

Old 08-05-2015, 07:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

You do not have a problem. I thought I had one as well (also '16 V6S). Look at your gauge as soon as you start driving in the morning (typically I was way too excited to get driving to pay attention to the gauges). It takes just a very few minutes to rise from blue to EXACTLY the center line. If the engine was run previously during the day, it takes less than a minute to rise to the center line and not a micrometer beyond. That's some real solid temperature regulation.

The following users liked this post:
Frenchy (08-05-2015)
Old 08-05-2015, 07:39 PM
Received 4,454 Likes on 2,426 Posts

That's how it is on modern cars, the temperature gauge doesn't move from exactly the middle until it's really hot.

This has been the case on Jags since the 90's. It sits in the middle of the dial from about 84°C up to 110°C or so... because seeing the needle move up & down could make people nervous, apparently...

There is an "upgrade kit" which was produced for the old X100 XK8/XKR and X308 XJ that converts the gauges to actual proper instruments, XK8 / XKR / XJ RealGauge - TheJagWrangler but there is nothing similar available for later models.

I did however come across a guy who wrote a modified software file for the instrument cluster in my Land Rover, that makes the gauge work correctly. (in the LR the temp gauge sits in the middle from 75° to 113°)

Originally Posted by "alex_pescaru" (in regards to Land Rover gauges)
Did you know that the engine temperature needle has the following characteristic?

This mean that between 75 deg and 113 deg Celsius it stays on the middle.
And between 113 and 118 (during only 5 degrees) the needle will jump from middle to maximum.
On the opposite, from lower white line, which means 50, to middle, which is 75, are 25 degrees.
I didn't like it that way and I've modified its map to make it linear.
Now I can know exactly which temperature the engine has, as between the two white lines, lower and upper, is completely linear.
Now the lower line means 50 deg. and upper 110 degrees. Center is 80 degrees.
I asked Alex if he would be interested in writing new files for the Jags to correct this problem, but he is too busy and there would be some costs involved in reverse engineering, needing test vehicles, etc... it's not impossible but someone will have to fund it.

If you really want to see the engine coolant temperature then hook up an OBD reader, you get the true numbers via OBD.

The following 2 users liked this post by Cambo:
Frenchy (08-05-2015), Unhingd (08-05-2015)
Old 08-05-2015, 10:00 PM
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by lhoboy
You do not have a problem. I thought I had one as well (also '16 V6S). Look at your gauge as soon as you start driving in the morning (typically I was way too excited to get driving to pay attention to the gauges). It takes just a very few minutes to rise from blue to EXACTLY the center line. If the engine was run previously during the day, it takes less than a minute to rise to the center line and not a micrometer beyond. That's some real solid temperature regulation.
Well, at least it's not a malfunction (silver lining, etc.). But lhoboy, we DO indeed have a problem. The manual insists that "at all times, not just during breakin, do not exceed 4000rpm until the engine has reached full operating temperature." How are we supposed to know when that occurs w/o a gauge telling us so?

Cambo: "That's how it is with modern cars." That's not how it is on the Mercedes SLK55 AMG (which I just traded in for the Jag). Its gauge digitally displays the degrees as the temp rises. The numbers blink until a temp of 176 degrees is reached, at which time the blinking stops and the car will allow high revving (not before).

This is a big disappointment. Stupid, as well.

Old 08-06-2015, 02:03 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Frenchy
This is a big disappointment. Stupid, as well.
It is obvious that us stupid Americans can't be trusted to either drive or interpret gauges correctly. Hence, the idiot gauges and offering only AWD Rs to us here.

Old 08-06-2015, 07:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

It's not about "stupid Americans." Gauges have been disappearing on vehicles all over the planet.

Old 08-06-2015, 09:04 AM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
It's not about "stupid Americans." Gauges have been disappearing on vehicles all over the planet.
Exactly. Not unique to Jag at all. Joe Average driver doesn't know how to interpret engine gauge readings. Actual malfunctions where the driver must intervene are now so rare that gauges are not of much benefit.

I would find a blinking engine coolant temp gauge very annoying. Hope Jag never adopts that bright idea.

Old 08-06-2015, 09:56 AM
Veteran Member

As an engineer, I would pay extra for complete operating parameter readouts. Opted for additional OEM gauges for my MINI. Helps to forecast issues before they can cause a catastrophic failure, if one knows how to interpret the information.

The following users liked this post:
Uncle Fishbits (08-18-2016)
Old 08-06-2015, 10:57 AM
Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts

I am hoping that some smart engineer will figure out how to get the engine info to display on the touch screen. They do it on Mercruiser's "smart craft" system for boat engines, by using the data from the OBD port or otherwise tapping into the ECU. Whatever they do it displays on the navigation screen, eliminating the need for the usual array of gauges and displaying fuel flow, oil pressure, volts, water temp, boost, etc. Maybe someone can copy that code and adapt it to our cars.

Old 08-06-2015, 12:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 179 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by lhoboy
As an engineer, I would pay extra for complete operating parameter readouts. Opted for additional OEM gauges for my MINI. Helps to forecast issues before they can cause a catastrophic failure, if one knows how to interpret the information.
From memory, the oil pressure gauge in the R53 with Chrono Pack isn't connected to a pressure transducer...

Old 08-06-2015, 12:54 PM
Veteran Member

Don't have the Chrono pack (GPS screen in its place). OEM gauge package only included oil temp and voltmeter. Both have proven useful.

Old 08-06-2015, 12:59 PM
Received 68 Likes on 39 Posts

The BMW 5 series I recently tested had an oil temperature gauge, but no coolant temperature gauge, just a warning light for that. All my cars to date had a coolant gauge or warming lights. So what's better? Do we need both gauges? Do we have a coolant warning light on the F-Type, or both, or what?

Old 08-06-2015, 01:05 PM
Veteran Member

One water temp gauge that reads dead center if you are within a 35 degree acceptable range, and I presume all kinds of warning messages that flash up (similar to low tire) when you are overheating.

Old 08-06-2015, 05:03 PM
Received 4,454 Likes on 2,426 Posts

Originally Posted by Nookieman
I am hoping that some smart engineer will figure out how to get the engine info to display on the touch screen. They do it on Mercruiser's "smart craft" system for boat engines, by using the data from the OBD port or otherwise tapping into the ECU. Whatever they do it displays on the navigation screen, eliminating the need for the usual array of gauges and displaying fuel flow, oil pressure, volts, water temp, boost, etc. Maybe someone can copy that code and adapt it to our cars.
There are used to be aftermarket systems like this that could work with the F-Type. I haven't looked in a while though.

The issue with getting it displayed on the touchscreen is you need to 'tap in' with something like the Navtool JAGUAR NavTool video interfaces which will bring up the image to the screen.

But it won't give you touchscreen functionality for that image, just display only. Though it is possible to add a touchscreen overlay to the existing screen as well. A couple of forum members with older models have done this too.

Then you need to decide which device you use to get that info up on the screen. A little mini-Android-PC running an App would work, then you get the sensor data via OBD.

Or maybe there are some other black boxes which will do it. I haven't looked for a while... I think the Japanese Tuner crowd would have something available.

I guess the real question is what's this worth to you? I can imagine spending at least $1500 to get something like that up & running...

Old 08-06-2015, 10:26 PM
Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts

$1,500 would be fine. Maybe a heads up display projector would be easier.

Old 06-17-2021, 07:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts

Driving 90 on US 50 the loneliest highway in 102° heat for 400 miles & the gauge didn't move.
follow up: 106 in stop and go traffic on the I-70 headed towards Grand Junction, for about an hour... and didn't move.

If that image was just a jpg I wouldn't be surprised. LOL

Last edited by Uncle Fishbits; 06-18-2021 at 04:00 PM.
Old 06-17-2021, 11:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 213 Likes on 190 Posts

115 today and in a trffic jam guage didn't move. Record hi but and draught but no climate change.

Old 06-18-2021, 08:25 AM
Received 368 Likes on 236 Posts

I have noticed on my new 2021 R that the temp gauge triangle indicator comes up to the dead center position pretty quickly from a cold start in the morning. Much more so than my Mazda CX 5 which shows actual temperature calibrations and takes a few minutes of driving before the needle is in the 210 degree F range which is its normal operating temperature.

I sure would have liked Jaguar to include an oil temp, oil pressure and amps gauge as part of the instrumentation.

Old 06-19-2021, 12:38 AM
Received 111 Likes on 59 Posts

By the time my temp gauge was in the red, I'd already received an extreme overheat text message on the console. Pulled over immediately. Cracked SC coolant pipe. Blown head gasket. I concur that it would have been nice to see it coming.

Old 06-19-2021, 01:42 AM
Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

All the cars I've had recently, Corvettes, SLK AMG's, and a BMW Z4 had temp gauges that indicated the actual temperature. That's the way I like it.