Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question regarding Fold-in Mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2015, 01:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 338 Likes on 213 Posts
Default Question regarding Fold-in Mirrors

In my car the side mirrors automatically folds in when I lock the car. As my car is usually parked in a private garage, I don't need this to happen every time I lock the car.

I did a search and found that you can make the mirrors fold in by pushing both the "mirror adjustment buttons" at once, but I have not found a way to stop the mirrors from automatically folding in when locking the car....

I have tried to find it in the setup menu, but with no luck.

Can anyone help me with this issue?

Edit: I think I found it after looking in the owners manual (Electronic Version, as my paperback is in German and I don't understand that particularly well....). Seems like this is something that has to be enabled/disabled by the dealer/workshop.... argh....

Last edited by Arne; 07-12-2015 at 02:00 AM.
Old 07-12-2015, 02:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 642 Likes on 411 Posts

I was planning on asking the dealer during my next service, because this is the one thing I hate about this car. I don't want the goddamn mirrors to fold in ever. There is no need. If you're parking that close to someone you wouldn't be able to get out of the car anyways! Every time I take a picture of the car I have to leave it on and trick the car into thinking the key is inside and the doors are locked. It's so frustrating!

I feel your pain.

The following users liked this post:
Arne (07-12-2015)
Old 07-12-2015, 03:11 AM
Veteran Member

It helps to see that I am not the only one being frustrated by this

I will have it sorted on the next service as well...

Old 07-12-2015, 04:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 179 Likes on 153 Posts

I specced mine without this feature. My other car has it and in 3 years of ownership I have yet to use it. Switching it on and off is just a button press though...

Old 07-12-2015, 10:58 AM
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Stohlen
I was planning on asking the dealer during my next service, because this is the one thing I hate about this car. I don't want the goddamn mirrors to fold in ever. There is no need. If you're parking that close to someone you wouldn't be able to get out of the car anyways! Every time I take a picture of the car I have to leave it on and trick the car into thinking the key is inside and the doors are locked. It's so frustrating!

I feel your pain.
I beg to differ. When parking in a parking lot careless people tend to bump into my mirrors when they aren't folded in, not realizing that I am sitting in the car.

Also if on occasion you have to park on the street, cyclists or other motorists who could care less about your property. My brother's car got hit by another vehicle, the only thing damaged was the drivers side mirror which was left hanging at the side door.

The following users liked this post:
JgaXkr (07-12-2015)
Old 07-12-2015, 11:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 179 Likes on 153 Posts

With the flare of the rear haunches, a cyclist is going to do more than clip the mirrors if they get too close...

Old 07-12-2015, 12:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 340 Posts

I thought I read somewhere that you need to push the mirrors out when they are folded, and once you do that, it won't fold again, until you manually push them back in....

Old 07-12-2015, 12:59 PM
Veteran Member

If the automatic function is disabled, you can still fold them in by pushing down the two mirror buttons (the ones where you chose which to adjust) simultaniously.
I would like to have the oppertunity to fold them when I find it convenient, but I don't want them to fold inn everytime I lock the car....

Old 07-12-2015, 01:34 PM
Received 123 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Stohlen
. I don't want the goddamn mirrors to fold in ever. There is no need. If you're parking that close to someone you wouldn't be able to get out of the car anyways!
you obviously don't live in a city where you have to park on the street / the streets are not narrow. i didn't have auto-folding mirrors on my previous BMW and i had to manually fold/unfold the mirror every time I had to go into the city. one of the streets i have to drive down, i fold the mirrors in just to make it down the street.