F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question regarding whistling VAP Lower Pulley

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2020, 08:24 AM
Received 273 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by Stohlen
What's more concerning; I don't know of any aftermarket pulley that's red either. Which would lead me to believe its not from a reputable company like VAP, Eurocharged, etc. I'm sure that VAP will get you straightened out on the lower pulley set-up, but I question that upper pulley and wonder if that's the source of the failure.
Yeah, exactly. Could explain the initial low whistle.

Old 06-27-2020, 09:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by Stohlen
What's more concerning; I don't know of any aftermarket pulley that's red either. Which would lead me to believe its not from a reputable company like VAP, Eurocharged, etc. I'm sure that VAP will get you straightened out on the lower pulley set-up, but I question that upper pulley and wonder if that's the source of the failure.
I had the same thought and was going to inquire if anyone had an OEM red anodized SC pulley. If its aftermarket maybe it wasn't installed right.

Are you sure the pulley rubbed the intake or was it the belt when it was in the process of falling off? Might explain the whistle. Is the pulley loose? If not and the damage was caused by the belt you might just need a new properly installed belt if there wasn't a hole worn through the intake tube.

Old 06-27-2020, 02:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 283 Likes on 214 Posts

When I had a modded upper pulley put on my XFR by Eurocharged, the heating of the pulley to allow it to expand enough to slip onto the supercharger shaft caused it to change color. I think it may have been red. Eurocharged painted it back to black to be less obvious to the dealer techs 😂

Maybe this car had an upper pulley swap before the OP bought it and so the assumptions by Vivid or Eurocharged or VAP got skewed. Sadly not much they could have done, not knowing...

The following users liked this post:
JacksonvilleJag (06-28-2020)
Old 06-27-2020, 09:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Also, if it was an OEM upper pulley, there is no chance on god’s green earth that it came loose, even from a misaligned or improperly tensioned belt. It is almost certain that upper pulley is aftermarket.
As far as the Intake crossover tube damage is concerned, if the wall has been breached it’s a good time to consider installing the Mina crossover tube.

Old 07-03-2020, 01:36 PM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Well it's definitely been established that I got the wrong offset pulley. What's shocking is that of this moment the dealer is covering the work under (WARRANTY)..
The story is gonna get interesting. They're replacing the entire goddamn supercharger. They wont replace the snout (if it's even damaged).. they never questioned the red pulley. However I'm almost positive they haven't seen the over sized lower pulley yet and **** will hit the fan when they get everything back together and the factory belt doesn't fit. I was terrified of this repair outcome, then I felt amazing for 30 seconds until I remembered the pulley. This is absolutely a repair bill I cant afford. Especially over things that were out of my hand. The tune is still flashed on the ecu as well. I'm guessing they havent checked for that.

What are my options if I cant get them to honor the warranty. I had the car 13 days and obviously bought it with a possible tune and after market pulley already

Old 07-03-2020, 02:51 PM
Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by SalsaCat83
Well it's definitely been established that I got the wrong offset pulley. What's shocking is that of this moment the dealer is covering the work under (WARRANTY)..
The story is gonna get interesting. They're replacing the entire goddamn supercharger. They wont replace the snout (if it's even damaged).. they never questioned the red pulley. However I'm almost positive they haven't seen the over sized lower pulley yet and **** will hit the fan when they get everything back together and the factory belt doesn't fit. I was terrified of this repair outcome, then I felt amazing for 30 seconds until I remembered the pulley. This is absolutely a repair bill I cant afford. Especially over things that were out of my hand. The tune is still flashed on the ecu as well. I'm guessing they havent checked for that.

What are my options if I cant get them to honor the warranty. I had the car 13 days and obviously bought it with a possible tune and after market pulley already
Obviously we aren't privy to what you disclosed to your dealer upon receiving the vehicle for repairs, but contextually it sounds like you haven't been upfront about your modifications.

Moral objections aside, it would seem like you have little to no recourse if you are denied warranty repairs. A component that has been directly (pulley) and indirectly (tune) altered has failed. Proving somehow that these two events were mutually exclusive seems unlikely.

I think a wiser route would be diagnosing exactly the root cause, whether equipment provided or incorrect installation, and pursuing a resolution with the vendor/installer. And perhaps, a reexamination of future modifications. I'm extremely pro-tinkering, but modifying a fairly high horsepower application without cognizance of very possible and expensive externalities seems foolish.

Last edited by Hell Cat; 07-03-2020 at 02:59 PM.
The following users liked this post:
SalsaCat83 (07-03-2020)
Old 07-03-2020, 03:19 PM

You're absolutely correct. I'm just not letting go of the fact that this should have been harmless. I'm gonna await the judgment of the dealer and work from there. The car ran fine for a few hundred miles after install. Then the whistle and then the incident in one day

Old 07-03-2020, 03:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 642 Likes on 411 Posts

The wrong offset pulley in which location? If they are replacing the supercharger, that tells me the upper pulley moved and destroyed the supercharger snout with it. Even if you had the wrong offset lower pulley, it would throw the belt before that upper pulley slid down the shaft if properly installed. I'm not convinced anything is wrong with your lower pulley yet unless you can provide evidence otherwise.

If it is indeed the upper pulley, this creates a messy battle between your dealer, Jaguar, yourself and whoever sold you the car since you did not install that pulley.

Old 07-06-2020, 09:11 AM

From what was explained to me from vap is that the engines had two different types of crank pulleys. There was a gray, which has one offset and then a black one which has another offset. It was never explained to me that this was the case before I installed the pulley. No where on the site or the vivid racing site does it say that. My oem pulley was gray. A black pulley was installed. So obviously putting the belt on a different offset than the the oem setting.

The tech at the dealer is either being cool about the upper pulley or is inexperienced and didn't catch it. However it will be impossible to miss the oversized bottom. Especially at belt install.

I was hard on the car for the first few hundred miles before the lower pulley, with no problems. I was hard on the car after the pulley install. Then that whistle showed up and and later that night the belt slipped and ripped. One can safely assume it was only a matter of time before the wrong offset yanked that belt off the top pulley. Or else offset wouldnt matter correct?

Old 07-06-2020, 09:53 AM
Veteran Member

From what was explained to me from vap is that the engines had two different types of crank pulleys. There was a gray, which has one offset and then a black one which has another offset. It was never explained to me that this was the case before I installed the pulley. No where on the site or the vivid racing site does it say that. My oem pulley was gray. A black pulley was installed. So obviously putting the belt on a different offset than the the oem setting.

The tech at the dealer is either being cool about the upper pulley or is inexperienced and didn't catch it. However it will be impossible to miss the oversized bottom. Especially at belt install.

I was hard on the car for the first few hundred miles before the lower pulley, with no problems. I was hard on the car after the pulley install. Then that whistle showed up and and later that night the belt slipped and ripped. One can safely assume it was only a matter of time before the wrong offset yanked that belt off the top pulley. Or else offset wouldnt matter correct?
I can tell you from my personal experience of twice installing a VAP SC belt/crank pulley (the first because VAP sent a belt that was too long and slipped, the second to install the correct length belt I sourced myself) that it is VERY, VERY easy to not install the SC belt on the SC snout pulley correctly since it tends to want to slip off toward the intake tube when you are threading the belt over the other idler pulleys, tensioner and crank pulley. Both times after I got the belt on completely and over the tensioner I had to reposition the belt on the SC pulley because it slipped one or two ribs toward the intake tube during the belt threading process. The point here is if the installer wasn't careful the belt could have started off partially off the snout pulley regardless of the crank pulley offset.

Old 07-06-2020, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by RGPV6S
I can tell you from my personal experience of twice installing a VAP SC belt/crank pulley (the first because VAP sent a belt that was too long and slipped, the second to install the correct length belt I sourced myself) that it is VERY, VERY easy to not install the SC belt on the SC snout pulley correctly since it tends to want to slip off toward the intake tube when you are threading the belt over the other idler pulleys, tensioner and crank pulley. Both times after I got the belt on completely and over the tensioner I had to reposition the belt on the SC pulley because it slipped one or two ribs toward the intake tube during the belt threading process. The point here is if the installer wasn't careful the belt could have started off partially off the snout pulley regardless of the crank pulley offset.
This is a pic of the belt on the snout pulley

I sent to my installer, earlier that day when i heard the whistle

Old 07-06-2020, 10:11 AM
Veteran Member

This is a pic of the belt on the snout pulley

I sent to my installer, earlier that day when i heard the whistle
So was it clearly the wrong crank pulley offset that caused the issue or was it the snout pulley slipping off or both?

Old 07-06-2020, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by RGPV6S
So was it clearly the wrong crank pulley offset that caused the issue or was it the snout pulley slipping off or both?
Jaguar supposedly has a regimented 165 point inspection program before they sell you the car with CPO Warranty. Which my car has. So I'm severely confused as to what's going on with that snout pulley. Did the tech completely miss it? I'd be shocked if it was factory however I was shocked to find out they made the engines with two different crank pulleys for some reason. Had I known that I wouldnt have purchased a single thing and installed until I was 100% assured it was correct like everyone elses on here.
Or I would've just settled for the (lower hp) snout pulley and tune setup like I had with my last supercharged xkr's. Or even just a tune and lived with the 605 bhp
In regards as to what failed? Aftermarket pulley or not. The car ran fine and didn't whistle with the gray oem crank pulley, and ran fine for the first few days with the vap pulley. Until I really started playing with the car

Old 07-06-2020, 06:50 PM
Veteran Member

Not sure if you're not reading my comments or just ignoring them; however as I said before, a wrong pulley offset isn't going to pull the pulley off the snout. Most people destroy the supercharger pulley trying to get it off because its on there so tight. An incorrect offset would either throw the belt or provide a side load to the snout which could do damage, but it wouldn't rip the pulley off. Who said you had an incorrect offset and what proof did you have of that? Why aren't you focusing more on the clearly not OEM snout pulley?

Keep in mind; the VAP pulley color is irrelevant here; the stock pulley is either gray or black... just because the VAP pulley was black, doesn't mean you got the wrong offset. Pretty sure they don't even sell a gray one; its either silver or black. If someone told you otherwise, that's a different story, but I'm still not convinced the lower pulley has anything to do with anything.

Jaguar supposedly has a regimented 165 point inspection program before they sell you the car with CPO Warranty. Which my car has. So I'm severely confused as to what's going on with that snout pulley. Did the tech completely miss it?
"XXX point" inspections are a joke. They aren't looking for tiny things like the wrong color pulley being installed. They're looking for obvious issues like leaks, worn parts, etc. and that's if they even actually do the inspection at all.

Old 07-06-2020, 07:14 PM

I'll explain it the best I can..
This is a pic of the shredded belt before it fully ripped off trying to move it away. It's pretty obvious it pulled forward just enough to yank the snout pulley forward. Hell for all I know, I got the wrong belt size too. Which gave it its room to elevate and hop forward?
The wrong offset pulley info was told to me by Stuart at Velocity himself. The pulley colors are on purpose to match the two different oem pulleys. Does that satisfy you?
I did many hard 40 pulls with the car at 4k rpm in 2nd gear with the stock crank pulley learning the rpm and sound in cohesion with the dash gauge to get my 40 roll reaction times down. No issues..
I did ONE ! with the wrong lower crank pulley and I heard a loud screech and found the belt like that when I pulled the car over. Do your due diligence and ask vap yourself. They said the pulleys have to match color. Apparently a system so unknown even forum experts like you were unaware let alone me.

You tell me sir. I've been reading knowledge for you Cambo, Unhingd, etc on and off for a long time. You're the experts and I absolutely mean that with the upmost respect.

Last edited by SalsaCat83; 07-06-2020 at 07:28 PM.
Old 07-06-2020, 07:43 PM
Veteran Member

I guess my point is you're assuming the belt pulled the pulley off the snout. Why can't the pulley have pulled the belt off? I've never seen a misaligned belt destroy a pulley; the belt always goes first.

Old 07-06-2020, 08:06 PM

I 110% agree..
As far as the damage?
I'd be willing to gamble that the snout was salvageable and my dealer saw the word warranty attached to my car and went wild. Maybe the pulley and the bearings needed replacing. Worst case the snout too. Jaguar of course does not replace those parts, or the snout. The whole supercharger has to be replaced.
My worry is that they do the work, apply a belt, it doesnt fit. They do some investigating and see the crank pulley is too big. Now none of it is warranty anymore and I'm left with a 9k bill for work done, and not the 600 dollar rebuilt snout replacement, along with a new belt. I could've done elsewhere for 1/8 the price. I doubt I can say screw that. I want my old eaton, I'll buy a refurbished snout/pulley and have a performance shop do it.
I'm in a tough spot because They may also just say **** it and buy a bigger belt or just day **** it and replace the lower pulley with an oem.
All with the bottom line that this was all caused by the wrong lower pulley being sent to me. I'll know in a day or two. The new Eaton is coming from Atlanta as of last Wednesday. I'm in NY..

ps.. I truly gave the car its runs with the off the lot setup. No problems

Old 07-06-2020, 08:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

I don’t understand why the dealer won’t just replace the snout. It’s available brand new for $570.
https://www.jaguarparts.com/oem-part...Y2LWdhcw%3D%3D

Old 07-06-2020, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by Unhingd
I don’t understand why the dealer won’t just replace the snout. It’s available brand new for $570.
https://www.jaguarparts.com/oem-part...Y2LWdhcw%3D%3D
In my shock and maybe a wrong move, I questioned it. The service rep said they dont do that.
No way in hell the belt ruined the rest of the blower.
My dealership is awful btw.. They survive selling base model xe's and landrovers to survive. They cant keep techs or service writers to save their lives. You never get a human. Only a voicemail, and I begged for courtesy car asap. Not a word. The car has been gone 11 days.
I'd assume the service department is trying to make some money with easy mechanical warranty work?
I'm an idiot and only speculating.

Old 07-07-2020, 06:26 AM
Veteran Member

I'd be willing to gamble that the snout was salvageable and my dealer saw the word warranty attached to my car and went wild. Maybe the pulley and the bearings needed replacing. Worst case the snout too. Jaguar of course does not replace those parts, or the snout. The whole supercharger has to be replaced.
This wouldn't surprise me either; my dealer once replaced my supercharger for absolutely no reason. Took the car in with an issue, replaced the supercharger and gave it back to me with the same issue. They thought the issue was the snout (internal spring) as well.

Quick Reply: Question regarding whistling VAP Lower Pulley