Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quick Battery Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2018, 11:10 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Quick Battery Question

Hello,

I just recently purchased a 2014 F-Type V6 S and I used a handheld tuning device plugged into the OBD port that has resulted in the Low Battery warning on the instrument panel and Nav screen. I have read through many of the battery threads here already and discovered that I will need to disconnect the battery in order for this warning to go away, but I just need a quick confirmation of something. Since my car has 2 batteries in the rear do I need to disconnect both of them or just one and would it be possible for someone to provide a pic or diagram of exactly what I need to disconnect? If you could help out a new owner/member here it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Old 04-10-2018, 06:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,226 Likes on 2,380 Posts

No need to disconnect the smaller stop/start battery, just disconnect the big/main one.
Easiest way is to disconnect the earth lead which runs from the negative battery terminal to a bolt on the floor of the boot/trunk, just undo that bolt and move the end of the cable away from any contact with a metal surface.
Sorry, no pic, but it should be easy to spot the earth lead, it's big and black and bolted to the floor!

The following users liked this post:
Brent72 (04-11-2018)
Old 04-10-2018, 06:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by OzXFR
No need to disconnect the smaller stop/start battery, just disconnect the big/main one.
Easiest way is to disconnect the earth lead which runs from the negative battery terminal to a bolt on the floor of the boot/trunk, just undo that bolt and move the end of the cable away from any contact with a metal surface.
Sorry, no pic, but it should be easy to spot the earth lead, it's big and black and bolted to the floor!
+1. Best/easiest way.

Brent72 (04-11-2018)
Old 04-10-2018, 10:49 PM

Thanks for the replies. I took the car out for a long drive today and when I got in it later to put it in the garage that warning message was gone. Good to know how to disconnect the battery should I need to do it at some point.

Old 04-11-2018, 12:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,261 Likes on 1,366 Posts

But in addition you might want to consider doing what many (most) have done: get a battery maintainer (CTEK being the preferred brand), connecting it permanently (there are threads on how to do this in this forum -very easy) and using it whenever the car is not in use. This will guarantee that no electrical gremlins come near.
This brand of battery maintainer is actually sold by every luxury make (Bentley, Maserati, BMW, Jaguar, Range Rover, Audi...) under their own brand names - and they do this because these modern cars require full voltage to all the modules at all times. When the voltage drops, very odd and random symptoms appear. Jaguar's warning about low battery voltage appears before, perhaps just before, these random symptoms come up. But this was not always the case, when the (wonderful) XK appeared in 2006 /07 owners who did not use their cars daily started to find seats not moving properly, or the touch screen freezing, or windows not dropping or random warning lights coming on...in every case it was simply a drop in battery voltage that was responsible. By about 2010 the cars started to have the "low battery" warning installed.
Both my XK and my F-Type have been on a CTEK unit always when not being driven. The result: zero electrical issues (actually, no issues of any kind!).

Brent72 (04-11-2018)
Old 04-11-2018, 01:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,226 Likes on 2,380 Posts

+1 to a battery charger/maintainer.
Your car would be getting on to four years old now and it's odds on it still has the original battery, and Jag batteries are notorious for starting to deteriorate after about four years.
Well at least the traditional flooded cell lead/acid ones, the AGM batteries in all F-Types are not quite so bad.
I stick my battery on the maintainer about once a fortnight and I've never had a battery or electrical problem.

Brent72 (04-11-2018)
Old 04-11-2018, 11:22 AM

Thanks for the heads up. Would you be able to point me to the thread that shows how to permanently install the battery charger? It would be much appreciated and thanks again for all the help, guys.

Old 04-11-2018, 01:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,261 Likes on 1,366 Posts

Brent: someone else can perhaps give the link to the thread with photos but in a nutshell this is what you do: in the trunk area remove the cover to the battery section. Your car has a main battery (to the left) and a smaller auxiliary battery (to the right) dedicated to the stop/star ECO system. Ignore this for the moment. Beside the main battery on the floor is a black rectangular unit; remove the cover. You will see a number of connections along a metal bar. This is where you connect the RED lead from the CTEK unit and while you can connect it to any one of the points along the bar, most use the one with the yellow wires; you connect to the nut opposite where the yellow wires are connected. Now for the ground connection, the BLACK CTEK wire: this goes to any convenient ground point nearby on the floor of the trunk. In other words you are not connecting to the main battery itself but to its remote connections. Simply route the CTEK lead wires so that the cover can go back on that bar unit and you are done. It has taken longer for me to type this than to actually do this procedure. You do not need to disconnect the battery to do any of this. Now when the car is not being used you just connect the CTEK unit to the lead you have just installed - and you will have eliminated any concern for a low battery.
Now, before you put the trunk panels back in place, do you like the annoying stop/star ECO feature? (How is that for a slanted question?). No? Well, look at the auxiliary battery. Disconnect the wire at any of the connection points (on the battery itself or on the floor). Done! Now the engine will remain running at stop lights. There is no negative effect of any kind in doing this: no warning lights, no bad behaviour, nothing. Highly recommended unless your car spends a lot of time stopped in traffic.

Brent72 (04-11-2018)
Old 04-11-2018, 01:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 606 Likes on 410 Posts

Check the sticky "How to.." thread for pictures & description on attaching a permanent lead for the CTEK, disabling the Stop/Stop function (if you're so inclined - that's what the small battery is for), and many other helpful hints.

I have/like the CTEK 4.3:
Amazon Amazon

You might also want to get a spare eyelet:
Amazon Amazon

(PS, you've gotten good/quick answers above and it's always nice to click "Thanks.")

Brent72 (04-11-2018)
Old 04-11-2018, 01:39 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,112 Likes on 1,410 Posts

I have a Battery Tender Jr for winter storage, never had a problem with it.

Brent72 (04-11-2018)
Old 04-11-2018, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by sov211
Brent: someone else can perhaps give the link to the thread with photos but in a nutshell this is what you do: in the trunk area remove the cover to the battery section. Your car has a main battery (to the left) and a smaller auxiliary battery (to the right) dedicated to the stop/star ECO system. Ignore this for the moment. Beside the main battery on the floor is a black rectangular unit; remove the cover. You will see a number of connections along a metal bar. This is where you connect the RED lead from the CTEK unit and while you can connect it to any one of the points along the bar, most use the one with the yellow wires; you connect to the nut opposite where the yellow wires are connected. Now for the ground connection, the BLACK CTEK wire: this goes to any convenient ground point nearby on the floor of the trunk. In other words you are not connecting to the main battery itself but to its remote connections. Simply route the CTEK lead wires so that the cover can go back on that bar unit and you are done. It has taken longer for me to type this than to actually do this procedure. You do not need to disconnect the battery to do any of this. Now when the car is not being used you just connect the CTEK unit to the lead you have just installed - and you will have eliminated any concern for a low battery.
Now, before you put the trunk panels back in place, do you like the annoying stop/star ECO feature? (How is that for a slanted question?). No? Well, look at the auxiliary battery. Disconnect the wire at any of the connection points (on the battery itself or on the floor). Done! Now the engine will remain running at stop lights. There is no negative effect of any kind in doing this: no warning lights, no bad behaviour, nothing. Highly recommended unless your car spends a lot of time stopped in traffic.
Very helpful stuff. Thank you so much.

Old 04-11-2018, 06:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts
Brent72 (04-12-2018)
Old 04-12-2018, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by jaguny
Thank you very much for the link.