F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quick question. (Satellite radio)

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2013, 03:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick question. (Satellite radio)

I wanted to get my car as soon as possible and compromised on a car that had everything I wanted except Satellite radio. Now having picked it up, I want to somehow get this installed. On the original car spec, it does state that the car has been preped for satellite. Does anybody know, if there is a way to get the radio software upgraded to become satellite compatible? Or is there more to it. I do not want to go the route of having something installed on my dashboard. Thanks

Old 07-06-2013, 01:09 PM
Received 680 Likes on 489 Posts
Default Pretty Easy

I've done this on a number of cars just not on the F-Type yet. It is a module that plugs into our head unit behind the dash. Typically the installer can get to it by going in through the passenger foot well. I asked British Motors about this and they told me to go to the same stereo shop I always use. Dealer listed this as a $500+ upgrade, I expect it is closer to $200 from an audio shop (the module is under $100 and the labor should be less than an hour and mostly to run the antenna wire). I think the best place for the antenna is right in front of the windshield in the bin under the bonnet. That's were I put it on my XK-R and it has worked well and not looked bad there.

Last edited by enderle; 07-21-2014 at 10:51 PM.
Old 07-21-2014, 08:32 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by enderle
I've done this on a number of cars just not on the F-Type yet. It is a module that plugs into hour head unit behind the dash. Typically the installer can get to it by going in through the passenger foot well. I asked British Motors about this and they told me to go to the same stereo shop I always use. Dealer listed this as a $500+ upgrade, I expect it is closer to $200 from an audio shop (the module is under $100 and the labor should be less than an hour and mostly to run the antenna wire). I think the best place for the antenna is right in front of the windshield in the bin under the bonnet. That's were I put it on my XK-R and it has worked well and not looked bad there.
\
i too screwed up my v8s was happy to find all of the options i wanted included premium audio upgrade and it didn't have hd/satelitte . i was told that sat could be added but it would be a separate module and controller to be installed about the same price you mentioned. i was hoping there was a module to add to the existing head unit so it could control the sat/hd radio . if you have heard different please let me know

Old 07-21-2014, 08:56 PM
Received 149 Likes on 113 Posts

Here are the installation instructions for adding the OEM satellite radio module to the existing radio. You'll notice that the unit fits behind the seat, not in the dash. Also, there are different antennas and wiring harnesses for the coupe vs. convertible.

It also requires programming of the car to recognize the unit.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
473822.pdf (1.60 MB, 606 views)
The following users liked this post:
PD2911 (07-21-2014)
Old 07-21-2014, 09:16 PM

wow thanks, I'm going to call my service dept in the am. they told me that i was only going to find an aftermarket solution and have a separate controller which i didn't want. does this also enable HD radio or is there another module and antenna for that?

thanks again

Old 07-21-2014, 09:21 PM
Received 149 Likes on 113 Posts

I don't see any other module available so I'm guessing that it adds HD radio also (per the jaguarusa.com website) but I don't know for sure.

Not sure why your dealer told you the module wasn't available. Its listed in the accessories brochure. All the part #s are in the PDF I uploaded and installation seems fairly easy given that they estimate only 20 mins to complete.

Old 07-21-2014, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by another_geek
I don't see any other module available so I'm guessing that it adds HD radio also (per the jaguarusa.com website) but I don't know for sure.

Not sure why your dealer told you the module wasn't available. Its listed in the accessories brochure. All the part #s are in the PDF I uploaded and installation seems fairly easy given that they estimate only 20 mins to complete.
thanks , it was actually the sales manager i was dealing when taking delivery , i'll deal with service dept , thanks a lot again

Old 07-22-2014, 07:29 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Can you please point out the exact part number we would need to order for the convertible? My parts dep is lost so I would like to just call and say here is the number order it please. Or if you know of an online source at a great price please share. I am tired of running satellite through the USB port. Thank you in advance for any help guys. BTW a US source please.

Old 07-22-2014, 09:47 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

FYI I called our local Jag dealer and got a dealer discount on the parts (I work for Cadillac) and the dealer price for parts without install is $848 total. Thats a lot of money for satelite radio. Anyone have a less expensive source?

Old 07-22-2014, 10:45 AM
Received 680 Likes on 489 Posts
Default Streaming from my phone now instead.

Originally Posted by ftypeguy
FYI I called our local Jag dealer and got a dealer discount on the parts (I work for Cadillac) and the dealer price for parts without install is $848 total. Thats a lot of money for satelite radio. Anyone have a less expensive source?

Streaming from my phone, I don't even miss satellite radio. I have it in two cars but my last two I've found that streaming from my phone is actually better and my music moves with me from car to car. Personally I don't think it is worth it anymore. The stereo shop I used didn't want to install the module and it is clear my dealer hasn't done any yet ether and I've learned that having someone learn on your car can be painful. Just my six cents.