F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quick question on VAP springs

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2022, 06:01 AM
Received 61 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Quick question on VAP springs

I have a 2015 R v8 2wd, will a set of front AWD springs from VAP fit/work with a 2015? They are VAP-003-AWD. Would ask the source but they look to be closed on the weekends. Thanks!

Old 05-21-2022, 08:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by bfrank1972
I have a 2015 R v8 2wd, will a set of front AWD springs from VAP fit/work with a 2015? They are VAP-003-AWD. Would ask the source but they look to be closed on the weekends. Thanks!
Probably not, since the front end of the AWD sits higher and weighs much more than on a RWD.

Old 05-21-2022, 12:56 PM
Received 133 Likes on 90 Posts

I did a bunch of research on this and probably read every thread about it. the rears on both are the same, only the fronts are slightly different. people w/ rwd R's had no issue using the awd springs but the front does sit slightly lower compared to the rear...and I can confirm this as I just installed awd springs in my rwd R. difference is about .5" so there is a slight rake towards the front. VAP did respond in a thread that they can be used but when I contacted them directly a few months ago, I was told to use the rwd springs. now that the springs are in, I wish the rear drop matched the front but that's just visual for me. in terms of handling, I have no issues and just came back from the recent Tail of the Dragon meet.

here's how it sits statically.

and here's a few pics when the suspension is loaded up in a corner.

The following users liked this post:
djyankees31 (05-27-2022)
Old 05-21-2022, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by Craaaazzy
I did a bunch of research on this and probably read every thread about it. the rears on both are the same, only the fronts are slightly different. people w/ rwd R's had no issue using the awd springs but the front does sit slightly lower compared to the rear...and I can confirm this as I just installed awd springs in my rwd R. difference is about .5" so there is a slight rake towards the front. VAP did respond in a thread that they can be used but when I contacted them directly a few months ago, I was told to use the rwd springs. now that the springs are in, I wish the rear drop matched the front but that's just visual for me. in terms of handling, I have no issues and just came back from the recent Tail of the Dragon meet.

here's how it sits statically.

and here's a few pics when the suspension is loaded up in a corner.

Thanks for the replies guys and yup the reason I asked stemmed from a post I read on here a while back from VAP saying their clients often preferred the AWD springs on the front. I tend to prefer less of a rake myself so maybe I'll opt for the RWD springs.

Other option is the H&R, I like the idea of a 'true progressive' spring with the VAP but they are expensive. Also not sure if the H&R drop will be too much - i.e. I can manage dips and speed bumps ok but wondering about impact to suspension geometry/bump travel/rate match to dampers when going with something that low vs the VAP springs. Not that this car will be a track rat, but I foresee periodic visits to HPDE or AutoX events in my future

BTW those rims are sick, good color combo with the blue.

Old 05-21-2022, 03:34 PM
Received 133 Likes on 90 Posts

Don’t think you’ll have a problem with the H&R’s. But they do sit lower, even lower than the front of mine. If I had to do mine again, I would have gone with the H&R’s but I got my springs for a terrific deal and am extremely happy with them.

here’s a pic of Daniel and his car from that weekend that he shared. He has the H&R’s.

And one in the corner with suspension loaded up.

Last edited by Craaaazzy; 05-21-2022 at 03:39 PM.
Old 05-22-2022, 06:44 AM

Yeah maybe I'll just go with the H&R springs. Does look good but just look at how cozy that left front tire is in the wheel well under load (the last photo) lol.

Old 05-26-2022, 11:25 AM
Received 852 Likes on 479 Posts

One of the challenges of 'street' springs, is that people want the car to look a certain way static, but if you lower the car really far, you need to have high enough spring rate to retain reasonable suspension geometry and not overcompress the dampers when cornering or hitting bumps. And then it rides very harshly. It's a bit of a balancing act between static looks, and dynamic performance.

O: (1)250-485-5126
E: Stuart@VelocityAP.com
www.velocityap.com

The following users liked this post:
Mahjik (05-26-2022)
Old 05-26-2022, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by Stuart@VelocityAP
One of the challenges of 'street' springs, is that people want the car to look a certain way static, but if you lower the car really far, you need to have high enough spring rate to retain reasonable suspension geometry and not overcompress the dampers when cornering or hitting bumps. And then it rides very harshly. It's a bit of a balancing act between static looks, and dynamic performance.
Understand and agree - and it really depends on usage, i.e. track rat at one end of the spectrum, street cruiser at the other, I'm somewhere middle biased towards occasional track events. Things like the suspension geometry is developed for a certain height, then you lower significantly, the camber curve when putting the car under load will be different as you're starting at a different point (even if you re-align, which I don't even think you can adjust camber on the rear). In reality it's all probably ok for most folks, but it also probably varies from car to car - I'm new to these cars so don't really have a reference point. Hate to sound like a cheapskate, but it's a thing where VAP springs are roughly double the price of the H&R springs I know they are a better design being a true progressive spring, but I'm not really a cushy ride guy anyways.

Old 05-26-2022, 02:07 PM
Received 852 Likes on 479 Posts

Originally Posted by bfrank1972
Understand and agree - and it really depends on usage, i.e. track rat at one end of the spectrum, street cruiser at the other, I'm somewhere middle biased towards occasional track events. Things like the suspension geometry is developed for a certain height, then you lower significantly, the camber curve when putting the car under load will be different as you're starting at a different point (even if you re-align, which I don't even think you can adjust camber on the rear). In reality it's all probably ok for most folks, but it also probably varies from car to car - I'm new to these cars so don't really have a reference point. Hate to sound like a cheapskate, but it's a thing where VAP springs are roughly double the price of the H&R springs I know they are a better design being a true progressive spring, but I'm not really a cushy ride guy anyways.
Not a problem, we knew when we developed & brought out these parts that there was no way we could compete with H&R or Eibach on price, so we chose to focus on a specific feature (ride quality) that made them unique and much better (for those that value the ride quality highly.) Rather than go toe to toe on a near identical product.

O: (1)250-485-5126
E: Stuart@VelocityAP.com
www.velocityap.com

The following 4 users liked this post by Stuart@VelocityAP:
bfrank1972 (05-26-2022), DJS (05-27-2022), djyankees31 (05-27-2022), JgaXkr (05-26-2022)