F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quicksilver vs. Velocity exhuast???

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2017, 10:52 AM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Quicksilver vs. Velocity exhuast???

have any of you guys dealt with these in person?? if so how do they sound?! kind of getting the exhaust bug again like i did with my AMG years ago. Any feedback would be great!!

The following users liked this post:
Buckingham (09-04-2017)
Old 08-25-2017, 11:05 AM
Received 857 Likes on 483 Posts

Originally Posted by nstanford63
have any of you guys dealt with these in person?? if so how do they sound?! kind of getting the exhaust bug again like i did with my AMG years ago. Any feedback would be great!!
It's understandable. Once you have that in your system it will never go away!

Which one of our systems were you considering? We have a few options, from
- 200 cell cats + stock back box
- Fixed sound level Supersport, Sport or Touring Exhaust
- Valved Race + Touring

If you'd like some help figuring out, call me at +1-250-460-1775 and I'd be happy to give you some info.

O: (1)250-485-5126
E: Stuart@VelocityAP.com
www.velocityap.com

Old 08-25-2017, 12:41 PM
Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

Subscribed...I'd like to know as well.

I believe Zmoothg first went with 200 cells and it was too obnoxious (my words, not his), and ended up with the Valved Race/Touring???

I watched the VAP videos and liked the Valved Race/Touring. Unlike the 200 cells, is there any coding required in order to avoid a CEL? And it's a direct fit? Any approx install costs/hours involved?

Old 08-25-2017, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by Kief
Subscribed...I'd like to know as well.

I believe Zmoothg first went with 200 cells and it was too obnoxious (my words, not his), and ended up with the Valved Race/Touring???

I watched the VAP videos and liked the Valved Race/Touring. Unlike the 200 cells, is there any coding required in order to avoid a CEL? And it's a direct fit? Any approx install costs/hours involved?
He started out with the 200 cells, liked that. Bought the valved setup - I advised him that valved open + 200 cells would be insane.

He fitted the valved system with stock cats, very happy with that.

Then added the cats back and yes I think it's too much, although he said is sounded pretty cool but it's LOUD!

www.velocityap.com

Old 08-25-2017, 01:48 PM
SVR
Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts

Not to derail the thread, but I'm curious of how the 200-cell catted downpipes sound on an SVR. No chance I'll swap out the factory titanium (and inconel?) SVR rear section, so that's staying, but I really enjoy how the car sounds as-is.

Or I could say screw it and go catless all together...

Old 08-25-2017, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by SVR
Not to derail the thread, but I'm curious of how the 200-cell catted downpipes sound on an SVR. No chance I'll swap out the factory titanium (and inconel?) SVR rear section, so that's staying, but I really enjoy how the car sounds as-is.

Pretty aggressive but good. Catless in an SVR is too much though.

www.velocityap.com

Old 08-25-2017, 02:04 PM
Received 153 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by SVR

I would love to hear this setup as well. DO IT!

Old 08-25-2017, 04:31 PM
Received 151 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuart@VelocityAP
He started out with the 200 cells, liked that. Bought the valved setup - I advised him that valved open + 200 cells would be insane.

He fitted the valved system with stock cats, very happy with that.

Then added the cats back and yes I think it's too much, although he said is sounded pretty cool but it's LOUD!
Yup this describes it perfectly. I played around with many setups. But I decided "for now" to run the 200-cell + valved system. In closed-valved mode the car is tame and sounds nice. With open-valved mode it's really LOUD when you get on it. This will just be too much for most, but I must say that is still sounds refined and exotic even while its LOUD (sounds like a legit muscle car mixed with some exotic notes). When you are not punching it, it's medium loud, probably similar to stock open-valved and it sounds great. At Monterey Car Week and Fuel Run, people were amazed that a Jaguar could sound so good and aggressive, but that is bias audience of petro-heads.

But for most normal people. I think the Valved System with stock exhaust is an awesome combo. I have heard the quicksilver in person and it sounds great too, but I did not want to give up my quiet mode.

Last edited by zmoothg; 08-25-2017 at 04:51 PM.
Old 08-26-2017, 12:09 AM
Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Does quicksilver offer valved? I got the VAP because of the the valved exhaust. The guys at my jag shop know when I'm there and have commented on it being the best sounding f-type that comes in. It's pretty freekin' nice.

Old 08-26-2017, 04:28 AM

Originally Posted by zmoothg
Yup this describes it perfectly. I played around with many setups. But I decided "for now" to run the 200-cell + valved system. In closed-valved mode the car is tame and sounds nice. With open-valved mode it's really LOUD when you get on it. This will just be too much for most, but I must say that is still sounds refined and exotic even while its LOUD (sounds like a legit muscle car mixed with some exotic notes). When you are not punching it, it's medium loud, probably similar to stock open-valved and it sounds great. At Monterey Car Week and Fuel Run, people were amazed that a Jaguar could sound so good and aggressive, but that is bias audience of petro-heads.

But for most normal people. I think the Valved System with stock exhaust is an awesome combo. I have heard the quicksilver in person and it sounds great too, but I did not want to give up my quiet mode.
Are the videos of you on VAP, before you went 200-cell + valved system?

Old 08-26-2017, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by Kief
Are the videos of you on VAP, before you went 200-cell + valved system?
I personally recommend for someone just looking to enhance the beautiful sound of the F-Type to go with the Valved Velocity AP with Stock Cats. I think the perfect sound setup would be the Valved VAP exhaust + (something in between the stock downpipes and the 200-cell, maybe 400-cell)

Valved+Stock cats:

Valved+200-cell:

Last edited by zmoothg; 08-26-2017 at 05:51 PM.
Old 08-27-2017, 03:40 PM
Received 56 Likes on 32 Posts

I have the 200 cell cats and stock exhaust for now (about a year) and am always in dynamic and I can tell you Stuart is 100% on point when he says it sounds INSANE; and I have a very high tolerance for loud cars as mine have always been on the louder side of the spectrum... I don't think you'll fully understand it until you hear it in person, it's loud to the point where you can't fully enjoy the car, as everytime you get on it all hell breaks loose and every cop within a 40 mile radius has their ticket book out ready for your ***.
Now am I going to take the cats off and deal with the cat temp issues (tuned and with pulleys)? No...
I've been thinking of getting a valved vap setup, but my issue is that even when the valves are closed (Hitting the exhaust button, still in dynamic) they still open at about 4K rpm and once again hell breaks loose.
Ideally it would be great to be able to alter the active exhaust programming so that the valves are only controlled by the exhaust button. On or off, none of that active crap. Alternatively I think what I'll do interrupt the vaccum circuit going to the valves so I can override the active exhaust and control them simply open or closed, then I think I'll do the vap exhaust, as I personally do not like the sound with the valves closed, too raspy and muffled, doesn't sound right.

Old 08-28-2017, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by Mpowerr
I have the 200 cell cats and stock exhaust for now (about a year) and am always in dynamic and I can tell you Stuart is 100% on point when he says it sounds INSANE; and I have a very high tolerance for loud cars as mine have always been on the louder side of the spectrum... I don't think you'll fully understand it until you hear it in person, it's loud to the point where you can't fully enjoy the car, as everytime you get on it all hell breaks loose and every cop within a 40 mile radius has their ticket book out ready for your ***.
Now am I going to take the cats off and deal with the cat temp issues (tuned and with pulleys)? No...
I've been thinking of getting a valved vap setup, but my issue is that even when the valves are closed (Hitting the exhaust button, still in dynamic) they still open at about 4K rpm and once again hell breaks loose.
Ideally it would be great to be able to alter the active exhaust programming so that the valves are only controlled by the exhaust button. On or off, none of that active crap. Alternatively I think what I'll do interrupt the vaccum circuit going to the valves so I can override the active exhaust and control them simply open or closed, then I think I'll do the vap exhaust, as I personally do not like the sound with the valves closed, too raspy and muffled, doesn't sound right.
Velocity AP sells a remote controlled device that gives you full control over your exhaust. I made my own but VAPs setup which works with the switch but VAP setup is an easier install.

And if you think the 200-cell with stock exhaust is loud it's nothing compared to the valves velocity AP exhaust + 200-cell downpipes, which basically acts like a semi muffler delete when opened. But at least the loud sounds good unlike on stock.

Last edited by zmoothg; 08-28-2017 at 07:13 PM.
Old 08-28-2017, 10:11 PM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

such a tough decision, both sound amazing!! watching seen through glasses youtube channel was what inspired me to look into the exhaust

Old 08-29-2017, 02:50 AM

Originally Posted by nstanford63
such a tough decision, both sound amazing!! watching seen through glasses youtube channel was what inspired me to look into the exhaust
I don't think you can go wrong either way, both sound amazing. If you don't care about having a "quiet" mode then quicksilver sounds great and has more weight savings than the velocity exhaust systems. If you want to have a "quiet mode" then velocity is pretty much your only choice here. Price of both systems without valve control are pretty much the same. Depends on preference.

quicksilver: more muscle sound, mean and deep
velocity: more refined, exotic supercar sound
downpipes + velocity: muscle and exotic fighting for a winner. LOUD!

Old 08-29-2017, 11:43 AM
Received 56 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by zmoothg
Velocity AP sells a remote controlled device that gives you full control over your exhaust. I made my own but VAPs setup which works with the switch but VAP setup is an easier install.

And if you think the 200-cell with stock exhaust is loud it's nothing compared to the valves velocity AP exhaust + 200-cell downpipes, which basically acts like a semi muffler delete when opened. But at least the loud sounds good unlike on stock.
Yea I've been meaning to either do my own thing or get one of the available remote systems just been super busy and haven't gotten around to it.

Just to clarify what I was referring to as loud was 200 cell, with valves open. As long as the valves are open it doesn't matter whether its stock exhaust Vap or brand X, the muffler is entirely bypassed for all intents and purposes...

Also do you have a link for the vap remote valve override setup?

Last edited by Mpowerr; 08-29-2017 at 11:54 AM.
zmoothg (08-29-2017)
Old 08-29-2017, 06:06 PM
Received 241 Likes on 173 Posts

Anyone else up for a group buy on the AP valvetronic exhaust?

Stuart - if we get a few orders, possible to offset shipping costs, or ???

Old 08-31-2017, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by Chawumba
Anyone else up for a group buy on the AP valvetronic exhaust?

Stuart - if we get a few orders, possible to offset shipping costs, or ???
You guys get a 10% discount off the top. How about 20% off at qty 3, and 30% off at 5?

www.velocityap.com

Old 08-31-2017, 10:59 AM
Received 241 Likes on 173 Posts

C'mon Ladies, Lets step it up - 30% off makes these downright affordable!

I'm in...

Kief (08-31-2017)
Old 08-31-2017, 11:02 AM

It figures a group buy now, when I'm still in the middle of arguing with JLR about my exhaust valves. Should have just kept my mouth quiet and went aftermarket!