F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R coupe - purchase???

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2014 | 10:48 PM
|
Default R coupe - purchase???

So, I have spent quite some time lurking, reading and searching through the F-type forum and have gained a LOT of excellent information and opinions! It has been extremely helpful to find the answers that the sales guy couldn't answer. Anyways, I am still hesitant on pulling the trigger on an R coupe... hopefully a few owners will answer my questions and offer their opinions.

1. On the coupe, is there anyway to remove or "reduce" the divider between the passenger compartment and trunk space??? I can understand it's use on the convertible, but not on the coupe... I like the extra roominess of the Porsche 911, and would love if the coupe could be similar.

2. How far back can you recline the passenger seat (a pic of it's furthest recline would be awesome!!)? I want to be able to go on a long road trip with a passenger and the passenger be able to rest. From pics, it seems like I could recline more in an F430.

3. Body roll - going through winding roads in dynamic mode, how much body roll do you feel, compared to a 997 or even a supercar like an F430 or McLaren?

4. Similarly, how does the handling compare to the 997 or other 911s?

5. On the R coupe, and absolutely necessary options that I need to have? Any options that really make a huge difference? I am hooked on getting the panoramic roof, but everything else doesn't seem necessary?

6. Finally, any other opinions or thoughts? Anyone who has or did own a 997 or other 911, I would especially love your input! I am really debating between the R coupe and a 997 (something like a 2S, GTS or maybe a GT3). Any thoughts between these and where the F-Type really "out does" the Porsche?

Thanks in advanced for your inputs!

Old 12-22-2014 | 11:41 PM

Had both a 997 C2S and a 991 prior to my R. I'd say the Porsches handles a touch better, but the R is more engaging to drive. The Jag is pretty close in terms of driving ergonomics and modernity to the 991. The 997 C2S is an aging platform (and rather skittery in sport mode). Brakes are a bit better on the Porsche. Power goes to the Jag. Both cars produce similar speed characteristics, but the Jag is more fun getting there. It is alive at sane/legal speeds. The 991 comes alive at 125 (or so they say, I'd never go that fast... )

Build quality is better on the Porsche, but just slightly. Better standard options on the Jag. Vision Pack 3 is a must. The blind spots are serious in the coupe.

No real body roll on the Jag, but you feel the weight transfer and it can slide. Again the Porsche handles better, but the new ones are so clinical and competent all the fun is gone.

Couldn't wait to dump my 2013.

Attached Thumbnails R coupe - purchase???-image7501.jpg   R coupe - purchase???-image4884.jpg  

Last edited by porsche356a; 12-22-2014 at 11:52 PM.
Old 12-23-2014 | 12:12 AM
Veteran Member

I had a 2013 991 911 C2 so I can also chime in.

1 & 2: The seats don't recline like the 911. The R is a true 2-seater and you really can't recline much unless you move the seats completely forward. With the 911 you can really recline because there's so much space back there. On a long trip in the 911 your passenger can definitely nap with the seats all the way back. Not in the R.

3. No body roll. Very stiff. But what you'll feel thru winding roads is the weight. R is much heavier than 911 (any generation).

4. The 991 is a better handling car. It's lighter, the chasis is more tuned/developed. It sits lower. That said, the 991 is leaps above the 997 from what I've read. So a R might still beat out the 997 C2S.

5. The R comes pretty loaded. I love the pano roof. Absolutely recommend it. Vision pack is nice but I don't think a must.

6. Really depends on what you're looking for. I got out of the 991 because

a) wanted something more unique (911s all look the same and they are everywhere in CA)
b) wanted something more exciting. The 991 has been so developed it's become a bit boring. It's very balanced, very well engineered. So it makes it a bit boring. You don't get the loud exhaust, the oh **** moments as much.
c) the power/torque. a 991 C2 is probably the same as a 997 C2S. It's what I would call quick. But the R is fast.
But if you want a very well engineered, balanced, refined car then the 911 is hard to beat.

If this is your first sports car, you can't really go wrong with a 911. It's a sports car every sports car guy should experience. That said, the R just puts a lot more smiles on my face than the 991. That cliche of boring German engineering is kinda true. It's just too damn good. The R you get all the quirks of British engineering

Last edited by shift; 12-23-2014 at 12:15 AM.
Old 12-23-2014 | 12:34 AM

Quality is so subjective...I think it comes down the to preference at this level with no loser.

The Jag is fun at any speed and can make you look and feel like a hero anytime easily. You can't help but smile and grin. You'll never see yourself anywhere in the Jag, while Porsche is a familiar face.

Old 12-23-2014 | 01:57 AM
Veteran Member

I came out of SLK55 AMG, faster than my S but the Jag is more fun, engaging. Don't need to race from lite to lite to enjoy it.

Old 12-23-2014 | 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by RickyGallengor
So, I have spent quite some time lurking, reading and searching through the F-type forum and have gained a LOT of excellent information and opinions! It has been extremely helpful to find the answers that the sales guy couldn't answer. Anyways, I am still hesitant on pulling the trigger on an R coupe... hopefully a few owners will answer my questions and offer their opinions.

1. On the coupe, is there anyway to remove or "reduce" the divider between the passenger compartment and trunk space??? I can understand it's use on the convertible, but not on the coupe... I like the extra roominess of the Porsche 911, and would love if the coupe could be similar.

2. How far back can you recline the passenger seat (a pic of it's furthest recline would be awesome!!)? I want to be able to go on a long road trip with a passenger and the passenger be able to rest. From pics, it seems like I could recline more in an F430.

3. Body roll - going through winding roads in dynamic mode, how much body roll do you feel, compared to a 997 or even a supercar like an F430 or McLaren?

4. Similarly, how does the handling compare to the 997 or other 911s?

5. On the R coupe, and absolutely necessary options that I need to have? Any options that really make a huge difference? I am hooked on getting the panoramic roof, but everything else doesn't seem necessary?

6. Finally, any other opinions or thoughts? Anyone who has or did own a 997 or other 911, I would especially love your input! I am really debating between the R coupe and a 997 (something like a 2S, GTS or maybe a GT3). Any thoughts between these and where the F-Type really "out does" the Porsche?

Thanks in advanced for your inputs!
For item #6. My wifes 911 gts came with a poor paint job and body panels that did not match. My 981 Boxster was delivered with ripples in the 5k option sport seat that Porsche refused to fix correctly. Then, they let Auto Nation buy the nearby dealership. After nine of them,and sh%#y service, I will not own another porsche.