F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R Supercharger Details

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2014, 04:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default R Supercharger Details

Hello, I'm new here. I've been lusting after the F-Type R and it has now led to me seriously thinking about pulling the trigger and buying one.

My question is...does anyone know where I can find more detailed info on the supercharger that's on the V8 R? Is it a twin screw? Roots? And does anyone know what PSI it runs at?

Old 07-25-2014, 05:02 AM
Received 4,458 Likes on 2,427 Posts

Welcome to the forum, when you get a moment stop by our new members area ==>> New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

It's an Eaton TVS R1900, OEM version. Probably running about 9psi or so.

Wilkommen

Last edited by Cambo; 07-25-2014 at 05:40 AM.
Old 07-25-2014, 07:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 340 Posts

Unlike the supercharged V-6s, which use Bosch engine management, the Jag V-8 uses Denso engine electronics. A 9.5:1 compression ratio squeezes 1.5 bar (21.75 psi) of boost supplied by the V-mounted Eaton roots-type twin-helix supercharger. The V-8's bore is 92.5 mm and stroke is 93.00 mm, making it essentially a "square" design. Four valves per cylinder help pump the air to generate the V-8's 495 horsepower and 460 pound-feet of torque.

2014 Jaguar F-Type V-8 Engine Technical Details: 30 Days Of F-Type

That's for the V8S

The following users liked this post:
Atomic (03-22-2016)
Old 07-25-2014, 12:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 401 Likes on 209 Posts

These twin vortex Eaton superchargers are classified as Roots blowers, but they look more like screw-type to me:

Roots Superchargers

Anyone know why? I guess it's sort of a hybrid?

The technical specs say it is air-to-water intercooled....does that intercooler sit off the engine somewhere for heat management or is that the slim set of "wings" sitting on either side of the supercharger?

Old 07-25-2014, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by schraderade
These twin vortex Eaton superchargers are classified as Roots blowers, but they look more like screw-type to me:

Roots Superchargers

Anyone know why? I guess it's sort of a hybrid?

The technical specs say it is air-to-water intercooled....does that intercooler sit off the engine somewhere for heat management or is that the slim set of "wings" sitting on either side of the supercharger?

A2W intercooler consist if 2 main parts. There is a heat exchanger that sits between the charger and the intake...this is what the charger blows right through and cools the hot compressed air that is discharging. There is then another heat exchanger that is just like a small radiator that is usually down in front of the car right by the radiator....this cools the hot water coming from the charger heat exchanger. The water is pumped continuously through both.

Thanks for the info on the type of charger on the F-type. This is a roots blower. In the past, I've built Mustangs with Kenne Bell twin screw chargers. I really love supercharger cars. Always had a thing for them.

Old 07-25-2014, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by shift
A 9.5:1 compression ratio squeezes 1.5 bar (21.75 psi) of boost supplied by the V-mounted Eaton roots-type twin-helix supercharger.
The XF/XK owners on this forum have measured between 7-11 PSI on their cars, depending on the tune in them. No way is the boost anywhere near 21.75psi, not a chance. The older 4.2's were 8:1 with ~13psi, the 5.0 with 9.5:1 will definitely run less boost from the factory. 21.75psi is probably an absolute measurement on the 510HP engine (14.7 + 7) and the 550HP tune is around 9psi. The cars that have been tuned by ETG or Eurotek have gone up to around 11psi.

Also, the TVS is a roots, but it's very different to the old M series.

TVS is a 4-lobe rotor with a much greater twist in it, the performance of the TVS is getting closer to a twin-screw, & is miles ahead of the old M series with 3-lobe rotors and a slight twist.

The following 3 users liked this post by Cambo:
deltagroup (07-25-2014), JgaXkr (07-25-2014), shift (07-25-2014)
Old 07-25-2014, 06:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 401 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by Cambo351
TVS is a 4-lobe rotor with a much greater twist in it, the performance of the TVS is getting closer to a twin-screw, & is miles ahead of the old M series with 3-lobe rotors and a slight twist.
It looks like a 160 degree twist, which means mechanically it incorporates a lot of the advantages of a twin screw.

I think it's still classified as a Roots supercharger because the screws turn at a 1:1 ratio and the threads are evenly spaced, i.e. air is not mechanically compressed as it moves through the supercharger. With a proper screw-type supercharger, the air gets compressed by the screw design or the twin-screw drive ratio.

Cambo (07-25-2014)
Old 07-25-2014, 07:20 PM
Veteran Member

The XF/XK owners on this forum have measured between 7-11 PSI on their cars, depending on the tune in them. No way is the boost anywhere near 21.75psi, not a chance. The older 4.2's were 8:1 with ~13psi, the 5.0 with 9.5:1 will definitely run less boost from the factory. 21.75psi is probably an absolute measurement on the 510HP engine (14.7 + 7) and the 550HP tune is around 9psi. The cars that have been tuned by ETG or Eurotek have gone up to around 11psi.

I like cars but I'm definitely not an authority to speak on the mechanics. That was just a quote from the motor authority article. I agree, when I first read it, it sounded way to high.

Old 07-26-2014, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by shift
I like cars but I'm definitely not an authority to speak on the mechanics. That was just a quote from the motor authority article. I agree, when I first read it, it sounded way to high.
Yes, whoever wrote that article has the facts wrong. It's definitely not 21 psi. I've seen chargers run in the 20 psi range and it takes high octane and methanol injection usually to get the engine not to grenade at those pressures. The other way you can tell it's not 21 psi is that once you start to run compressors in the 15-20 psi range....they scream extremely loud.....REALLY loud. Like this:

Old 07-26-2014, 08:34 AM

Sadly the TVS, Kenne Bell, Lysholm & Whipple don't scream anything like the old M-series Eatons...it was a real disappointment when I finally took a 5.0L XFR for a test, could barely hear the blower at all...

But the old M-series...well...

Old 07-26-2014, 12:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 179 Likes on 153 Posts

Sadly the TVS, Kenne Bell, Lysholm & Whipple don't scream anything like the old M-series Eatons...it was a real disappointment when I finally took a 5.0L XFR for a test, could barely hear the blower at all...

But the old M-series...well...

There's a reason why Ring Lap Records are set in the summer...

I used to own a VW G60-equipped car (actually make that 2 Corrado G60s), and still own an R53 Mini Cooper S Works - so I see where you're coming from with supercharger whine.

Old 07-26-2014, 01:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

FYI - if you use an Android phone you can purchase a bluetooth adapter ($11.99) that plugs into the OBD II port. Download the Torque Pro app from the Play Store ($4.99) and you have the ability to display a bunch of real time engine operating parameters on you phone, from cooling to supercharger boost psi and dozens more.

Amazon.com: Simvalley™ Mini ELM327 Bluetooth OBD 2 Automotive Diagnostics Scanner for Android: Automotive Amazon.com: Simvalley™ Mini ELM327 Bluetooth OBD 2 Automotive Diagnostics Scanner for Android: Automotive

The following 2 users liked this post by axr6:
golfhero (08-04-2014), shift (08-04-2014)
Old 08-04-2014, 05:56 PM
Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

Awesome. Just ordered. Thanks for the link.

Old 08-04-2014, 06:15 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by axr6
FYI - if you use an Android phone you can purchase a bluetooth adapter ($11.99) that plugs into the OBD II port. Download the Torque Pro app from the Play Store ($4.99) and you have the ability to display a bunch of real time engine operating parameters on you phone, from cooling to supercharger boost psi and dozens more.

Amazon.com: Simvalley™ Mini ELM327 Bluetooth OBD 2 Automotive Diagnostics Scanner for Android: Automotive
Wow, this sounds really cool. So can you just leave it plugged in and drive around while collecting realtime info w/o any side affects (like warning lights going off?)

Old 08-04-2014, 07:16 PM
Received 88 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by axr6

Amazon.com: Simvalley™ Mini ELM327 Bluetooth OBD 2 Automotive Diagnostics Scanner for Android: Automotive

One thing to keep in mine if you use the cheaper OBD II adapters is that they draw power all the time and will kill your battery if you leave it plugged in and the engine isn't running.
There are more expensive adapters that will auto shut off. So you can leave it plugged in. The one I bought is a OBDLink MX OBDLink MX Bluetooth | OBDLink You can also buy it at Amazon.com. There are probably other out there that auto shut off. Just be careful.

golfhero (08-07-2014)
Old 08-05-2014, 08:13 AM
Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

So the OBDLink MX auto shuts off?

Do you know if it monitors oil pressure and/or oil temp?

The biggest frustration I have on the F-Types is the generic temp gauge, which is going to likely be more about water temp (gets there faster, in my experience) and not terribly useful.

If so, then I would guy an android tablet, link to this, and just leave it in the car as it would be useful.

Old 08-06-2014, 01:38 PM
Received 88 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by omgomg
So the OBDLink MX auto shuts off?

Do you know if it monitors oil pressure and/or oil temp?

The biggest frustration I have on the F-Types is the generic temp gauge, which is going to likely be more about water temp (gets there faster, in my experience) and not terribly useful.

If so, then I would guy an android tablet, link to this, and just leave it in the car as it would be useful.

Yes it does auto shut off.

TorquePro and OBDLink's own software show it will read oil temp but not oil pressure, But that depends on whether the car has an oil temperature sender. I need to play with the app more to see what it will do on the car.

A lot of cars have very heavily buffered temp gauges that are not much more that idiot lights. Reading the temp from the OBD adapter should read raw unbuffered data.

Old 08-07-2014, 01:32 PM
Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by WayneB
One thing to keep in mine if you use the cheaper OBD II adapters is that they draw power all the time and will kill your battery if you leave it plugged in and the engine isn't running.
There are more expensive adapters that will auto shut off. So you can leave it plugged in. The one I bought is a OBDLink MX OBDLink MX Bluetooth | OBDLink You can also buy it at Amazon.com. There are probably other out there that auto shut off. Just be careful.
Wayne - Thanks for the heads up on the battery drain. Ordered an OBDLink MX as well... Canadian dealer was very easy to work with. Can't wait to start playing around with it.