Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R&T F-Type V6S + Boxster S Comparo

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 05:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 483 Likes on 404 Posts
Default R&T F-Type V6S + Boxster S Comparo

I'm not sure this wasn't expected, but the F-Type V6S got its butt kicked on a track comparison against a Boxster S. I do think the F-Type is a little bit more distinctive and probably more luxurious, but I do think it's hard to mess with the Boxster's near perfect steering feel and responsiveness.

I would be interested to see how the V8S would compare! Then again, I doubt the extra horsepower and weight would do anything about the writers' chief issues with the car, which seemed to do mostly the "fun" level on the track.

2014 Jaguar F-Type Versus 2013 Porsche Boxster - Porsche Boxster Versus Jaguar F-Type at Lime Rock in Connecticut - Road & Track

Old 07-01-2013, 09:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 166 Likes on 134 Posts

I would say the Porsche won out slightly if price wasn't a factor. The Jag came in at about $10K under the Porsche. A fairer comparison would have been with the V8S since the price for both cars would have been the same. However, buying a car based on how it behaves on the track may not be such a hot idea since 99% or more of your time is spent on public roads. What I've noticed is that Jaguars do better in real-world conditions than a track star car.

Old 07-01-2013, 09:53 PM
Received 69 Likes on 57 Posts

Not to be forward but who cares which car is faster than what car around a track, as long as your in love with the car and there is an emotional attachment.

It's easy to get caught up in data and statistics. Unless you plan to purchase an F-Type for the sole purpose of racing Porsche Boxter S's around a track, probably doesn't matter.

I am sure a Boxter S would also beat a vintage 60's Shelby Mustang at a track, but I would still want to own the Mustang over the Porsche any day.

Last edited by BrownRobin; 07-01-2013 at 09:58 PM.
The following users liked this post:
weisberg (10-02-2013)
Old 07-01-2013, 10:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 483 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by carelm
I would say the Porsche won out slightly if price wasn't a factor. The Jag came in at about $10K under the Porsche. A fairer comparison would have been with the V8S since the price for both cars would have been the same. However, buying a car based on how it behaves on the track may not be such a hot idea since 99% or more of your time is spent on public roads. What I've noticed is that Jaguars do better in real-world conditions than a track star car.
I was shocked that you can spend $110k on a Boxster! Unreal!

However, I think in reality, the Boxster S is much cheaper than an F-Type V6S. The Boxster S starts at $62,100 and I doubt it takes almost $20k to catch up to the standard equipment of the F-Type V6S (starts at $81,000). I could be wrong though!

Although they did do this test on a track, responsiveness is felt in normal street driving as well. You are probably right that the F-Type is a much better car on the street than the Boxster (probably more comfortable and such). But the F-Type is supposed to be a "sports car." Comfort and luxury are secondary! To me it sounds like the F-Type is another Jaguar GT car without rear seats, and that's OK by me!

Old 07-02-2013, 10:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 261 Likes on 183 Posts

Well they certainly named the Boxster correctly...looking at it reminds me of a shoe box

It is very unappealing...

Old 07-02-2013, 06:21 PM
Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

I hope JLR use the comparison result as a whip for improvement. Yes, maybe less than 1% of their customers track their cars, but if JLR is touting F-type as its return to have a proper sports car, I wish that in the next iterations, the F-type will eviscerate the Boxsters, the Caymans, and the 911.

I think how fast a car goes on track - if the manufacturer claims that its car is a sports car - is a proper metric. After all, most motorsports functions are done on tracks and the fastest one is called the winner.

I remember the GT-R. Nissan build that car with a singular purpose, not trying to be comfortable, or win new customers but to kick butt on track. Maybe JLR is not in that position yet, but I am hoping that they'll reach that point someday with the F-type (or other model). The F is such a good looking car, would be nice if it just butchers all opponents at the same time.

Old 07-02-2013, 07:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 521 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
I was shocked that you can spend $110k on a Boxster! Unreal!

However, I think in reality, the Boxster S is much cheaper than an F-Type V6S. The Boxster S starts at $62,100 and I doubt it takes almost $20k to catch up to the standard equipment of the F-Type V6S (starts at $81,000). I could be wrong though!

Although they did do this test on a track, responsiveness is felt in normal street driving as well. You are probably right that the F-Type is a much better car on the street than the Boxster (probably more comfortable and such). But the F-Type is supposed to be a "sports car." Comfort and luxury are secondary! To me it sounds like the F-Type is another Jaguar GT car without rear seats, and that's OK by me!
I have been on this Forum recently considering the F Type. I also have been looking at the Cayman not the Boxster. The Porsche does like to load the car up with expensive options and I have been able to load up my Base Cayman from a little over $53,000 base price to $69,000. The Cayman S starts about $64,000 and can easily top $80,000 with a fair amount of options. Some options for the Porsche come in very pricey packages as well. The PDK is $3200 and the Infrotainment Package (includes Nav) is $3900, 14 way power seats $2200 etc. The F Type is up there as well but has many items as standard. In some ways it's a wash.