Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R1 Concepts rotors poor reviews

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2020 | 07:12 PM
|
Veteran Member
Default R1 Concepts rotors poor reviews

While earlier reviews seemed good, there seems to be quite a bit of negative feedback on their facebook page now. https://www.facebook.com/r1concepts/reviews/

One is from me but I am philosophical about it because they did look damn good.

Old 08-27-2020 | 07:35 PM

I’ve had mine for a couple months - although I don’t track the car and even my spirited driving is generally short term and I live in a flat area so not much need to be heavy on the brakes. I’m with you, love the look; hoping not to have issues, but I did quite a bit of reading before purchase and the majority of feedback was positive. Also important to note that complaints usually outnumber positive comments significantly. Like In the forums, I can’t recall seeing a post titled “drove to dinner, car was perfect” or “made it to work safely...again.” But there is no shortage of posts with issues being noted.

Old 08-27-2020 | 08:28 PM
|
Veteran Member

Cheers. Where mine got problematic was after about 6 months there was a chirpy noise, like seats rubbing in a school bus or a budget plane. it got worse and worse and was mainly when cornering, but not when braking. I had it back to my wheel guys a couple of times and they lubricated them and checked it all out with very minimal improvement. By the time I got it to the performance guys it was super annoying. They diagnosed it as the brakes and said they had similar issues with these rotors before (also they commented that the pads were a bad fit and the material is too hard for people who want to give it an occasional squirt). The fronts were replaced and that reduced the noise but then I could clearly hear it from the back. I just had the backs replaced and the noise has gone.

More annoying than the chirp from the brakes is dealing with R1 concerning the warranty which was a very frustrating experience. The money is only rats and mice but it would have been nice to get back what I paid for them.

Old 08-27-2020 | 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by BruceTheQuail
Cheers. Where mine got problematic was after about 6 months there was a chirpy noise, like seats rubbing in a school bus or a budget plane. it got worse and worse and was mainly when cornering, but not when braking. I had it back to my wheel guys a couple of times and they lubricated them and checked it all out with very minimal improvement. By the time I got it to the performance guys it was super annoying. They diagnosed it as the brakes and said they had similar issues with these rotors before (also they commented that the pads were a bad fit and the material is too hard for people who want to give it an occasional squirt). The fronts were replaced and that reduced the noise but then I could clearly hear it from the back. I just had the backs replaced and the noise has gone.

More annoying than the chirp from the brakes is dealing with R1 concerning the warranty which was a very frustrating experience. The money is only rats and mice but it would have been nice to get back what I paid for them.
I fitted mine with porter field pads at the same time - been perfect thus far but of course time will tell.

Old 08-27-2020 | 09:17 PM
|
Veteran Member

Cheers, sorry when I said material, it is the rotor material that is (allegedly) too hard, not the pad material. But good luck with yours, I really only posted this because I have previously comment that I was happy with them and unfortunately that period of bliss was pretty short, I certainly wouldnt recommend them now and my only comment to anyone putting them on is that they are cheap, look good, and stop well enough, keep your OEM's in case you need them.

Old 08-27-2020 | 09:58 PM
Veteran Member

Cheers, sorry when I said material, it is the rotor material that is (allegedly) too hard, not the pad material. But good luck with yours, I really only posted this because I have previously comment that I was happy with them and unfortunately that period of bliss was pretty short, I certainly wouldnt recommend them now and my only comment to anyone putting them on is that they are cheap, look good, and stop well enough, keep your OEM's in case you need them.
Funny that the Hart rotors I bought way back in 2015 are still going strong with almost zero noise, minimal wear and they still look like new. I bought them for my XFR then swapped them over to the F-Type. Very similar looking to the R1s except for a single row of drilled holes between each slot vs two rows.
I strongly suspect that the Harts and R1s are (were?) made in the same Chinese factory!

Old 08-27-2020 | 11:17 PM
|
Veteran Member

Yeah I get the feeling that the R1 issues are a recent phenomenon and I had the same chirp issues with both the fronts (slotted and drilled) as the rears (slotted).

Possibly a different mix in the alloy?

Old 08-28-2020 | 06:55 AM

Yeah I get the feeling that the R1 issues are a recent phenomenon and I had the same chirp issues with both the fronts (slotted and drilled) as the rears (slotted).

Possibly a different mix in the alloy?
I recall you discussing them in a previous post - what was the final disposition - did you get new front and tear and are they seemingly okay or did you go back to stock? I actually kept my stick pads and rotors (I try to keep everything I modify or change from), and I was definitely
keeping the rotors as they only had about 15k miles of use.

Old 08-28-2020 | 01:10 PM
Veteran Member

I've used R1 rotors on both my old and new XJs and had no issues. But I didn't use their supplied pads.

Old 08-28-2020 | 02:15 PM
|
Veteran Member

I've gone back to stock, no noise issues and I feel them bite better. It's a shame coz they looked wicked.

Old 08-28-2020 | 02:44 PM
Veteran Member

I put R1 Concept's drilled and slotted rotors on my 5.0L XKR about a year and a half ago and find them just great. I replaced rotors from Brake Stop that were horrible. I had a little bit of noise upon stopping for the first few weeks while they were seating, but ever since have been quiet, smooth as silk, and a pleasure. I also found their customer service first rate. And by the way, they look great and don't rust after washing.

Old 08-29-2020 | 04:43 PM

I've mentioned this before, but my impression when I was doing internet research on replacement rotors is that R1 from the start has always had issues, but that they were really on top of contacting people who complained on forums, and basically replacing/refunding the problem rotors in exchange for a revised, glowing review. The difference several years on might be that they're not being proactive in grooming their reputation anymore.

I'm not suggesting every fitment is going to have problems, but I've seen enough negative reports to indicate that it's not rare. It really put me off getting them.

Old 08-30-2020 | 12:57 AM

I use R1 Geomet (slotted-only) on my cars and our custom cars. We don't use their pads. We had no issues at all. I also switched to R1 rotors on a few of our other cars with no issue. Customer service is also fantastic. I contacted their CEO on behalf of a friend that actually managed to crack a rear rotor while on track and they sent a replacement overnight... and that costs quite a bit on such a heavy item

The following 2 users liked this post by FType17:
SinF (08-30-2020), tberg (08-30-2020)
Old 08-30-2020 | 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by FType17
I use R1 Geomet (slotted-only) on my cars and our custom cars. We don't use their pads. We had no issues at all. I also switched to R1 rotors on a few of our other cars with no issue. Customer service is also fantastic. I contacted their CEO on behalf of a friend that actually managed to crack a rear rotor while on track and they sent a replacement overnight... and that costs quite a bit on such a heavy item
I also have the geomet rotors (slotted and drilled) - although not sure if there is much difference other the coating which is likely not made to last forever. I painted the outside of the vents, drill holes, and slots with high temp paint to better contrast the metal of the pad contact surface. I’ve used that paint before on non-coated rotors and it’s held up really well.

The following users liked this post:
tberg (08-30-2020)
Old 08-31-2020 | 04:19 AM
Veteran Member

I never understood the fascination of switching rotors or calipers. I do not track my car but spirited driving is the norm...ish. Every vehicle I have ever owned stops just fine. Now if it is being done for looks only I fully understand and agree, your car. But if it is for improved braking I have always found the stock systems to be adequate. I am **** about my brakes, I even skim rotors when new pads are installed, just have never had a stock system issue that made me think, I must spend $'s.

Old 08-31-2020 | 05:06 AM
|
Veteran Member

I got mine for looks only. Now that I have the OEMs back on I think they stop better, though when the R1's were new they were biting fine. They seemed to lose a bit of bite as time went on.

Old 08-31-2020 | 12:19 PM
Veteran Member

Originally, when my OEM rotors were worn, I went to a local aftermarket drilled and slotted rotor for the appearance, but from nearly the beginning they vibrated when lightly braking at freeway speeds, and it made me crazy. I had them resurfaced four times to no avail. So, I went shopping for new rotors and there are few options for "plug and play" for Jaguars. I spoke to R1 Concepts by phone on several occasions and the customer service seemed both knowledgeable and very responsive. Their rotors have been awesome, look terrific, and stop very smoothly while being very reasonably priced. What more could one ask for?

Old 08-31-2020 | 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by tberg
I put R1 Concept's drilled and slotted rotors on my 5.0L XKR about a year and a half ago and find them just great. I replaced rotors from Brake Stop that were horrible. I had a little bit of noise upon stopping for the first few weeks while they were seating, but ever since have been quiet, smooth as silk, and a pleasure. I also found their customer service first rate. And by the way, they look great and don't rust after washing.
What kind of magic water do you use to keep them from rusting after a wash - I wash the car and always do a quick drive to clean the surfaces and have to wipe down the inside of the wheels again. They are ceramic coated so its easy, but it needs to be done.

Old 08-31-2020 | 10:40 PM

I bought R1 concepts rotors and pads (geomet drilled and slotted). Had one front rotor go outside of spec for runout by 1.5/1000 of an inch after six months. Brake shop sent report to R1 Concepts, and they replaced both front rotors. So I’m happy with them. Though their pads are not very good (very dusty and need good amount of warming to stop well). But the rotors look great and have been working well ever since (~20,000 miles).