F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R8 Owner Thinking About An F-Type...

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2016, 02:27 PM
Received 18 Likes on 5 Posts
Default R8 Owner Thinking About An F-Type...

Hi All,

I've had my 2009 R8 V8 manual coupe for a little over a year now and while it is my dream car, I'm wanting to get back into a convertible. I have been looking at R8 V10 Spyder's under $100k in a manual but I made the mistake of going to Lamborghini dealer that had a 2016 F-Type R convertible and took it on a test drive... Videos truly do not do the sound of the V8 justice - It sounds like it wants to kill everything within a 5 mile radius!

I really, really like the F-Type and have my heart set on a white or Firesand V8S but I'm having a really, really hard time with the idea of selling my R8. The V8S is probably faster than the R8 and has a nicer, more modern interior but the R8 is a really, really special car and gets crazy attention everywhere I go everyday I drive it. I've wanted one since the first time I saw it and had zero regrets when I bought her last year. I had an easier time with the idea of selling it when I was going to just replace it with another R8 - now, the thought of not owning one at all is something I'm having a really hard time coming to terms with...

I really don't have any questions since I doubt anyone here is going to say they regret getting their F-Type but if anyone has any thoughts, I would love to hear them. I just wanted to introduce myself and maybe next week I'll be posting some pictures of my new car if I can let go of my current baby...

Old 12-23-2016, 02:38 PM
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Both vehicles are in the Premium Sports Car market. It really depends on what you value more. Drive, looks, prestige.

I've never driven an R8 but the Jaguar Ftype R is faster and considerably has more HP.

In terms of appearance, I think the R8 has a supercar look to it. While the Ftype is sexy in it's own right, I think the R8 is a better looking vehicle.

Prestige...lots of people have been rubbed off with the idea of this word (exclusivity) but I do believe that the R8 is more prestigious than the Ftype.

Old 12-23-2016, 02:44 PM
Default ...

Originally Posted by SGT h0llywood
Both vehicles are in the Premium Sports Car market. It really depends on what you value more. Drive, looks, prestige.

I've never driven an R8 but the Jaguar Ftype R is faster and considerably has more HP.

In terms of appearance, I think the R8 has a supercar look to it. While the Ftype is sexy in it's own right, I think the R8 is a better looking vehicle.

Prestige...lots of people have been rubbed off with the idea of this word (exclusivity) but I do believe that the R8 is more prestigious than the Ftype.
I agree 100%... I'll miss people chasing me down on the road to take pics of it.

Old 12-23-2016, 02:56 PM
Received 397 Likes on 210 Posts

R8 over the F-TYPE any day.

The following users liked this post:
Raul-7 (12-23-2016)
Old 12-23-2016, 03:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 343 Likes on 256 Posts

The F-type wins in power and storage; about a 3x larger boot. F-Type less prestige, but more fun as in loud and brash.

If the R8 hasn't had its mag shocks replaced that is a pending $4.5k or so job or Mag delete.

Love the R8 but a 2015+ warrantied car has some advantages.

That gated shifter though - heaven.

Is that a wrap or repaint? Factory color - brilliant red?

Post up the R8 for sale here or one Audi R8 Talk, don't settle for some low trade-in until you at least try.

Last edited by Burt Gummer; 12-23-2016 at 03:20 PM.
Old 12-23-2016, 03:13 PM

The only 3 vehicles that I would think would be laterally equivalent to the Audi R8 would be a Mercedes AMG GT, McLaren 570 and the Acura NSX.

Old 12-23-2016, 03:17 PM
Veteran Member

I would put a 2014+ dual clutch car w/ V10 in with those cars.

Old 12-23-2016, 03:23 PM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

I've got a 2015 R, and get looks, pictures, comments, etc...everywhere. Even had some college aged kids come up my driveway, knocked on the door, and asked if they could take some pictures and look at the car. I came out, started it for them, popped the hood, etc. They were in love. Said they drove back and forth 3 times before the got the courage to approach the house and ask to look at it, and it was their dream car. They've watched every YouTube video on it. My wife laughed and asked if I told them I still watch every YouTube video on it now after owning it for a year and a half.

Put the factory silver fender stripe on it, and it makes it that much more bad a$$.

My cousin sells high end cars for a living, and just this week I asked him if an F-Type R is cooler than say a 2013 Gallardo. He said absolutely. Maybe the Gallardo's are played out a little (and I'm a HUGE Lambo fan).

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and I believe the F-Type stands above the R8 without question. And I'm an Audi lover as well (Still really really miss my B7 RS4).

Here's something to think about. Since you were planning to get rid of your current R8, you could always try out an F for a while, and if you don't like it, go get that newer R8 you were looking at. Not a big deal. I'm in the opposite situation, as I go through a lot of cars but love my F so much that even though I'd really like to try something next (like an R8 actually), I just cant bring myself to replace it. Never had this feeling for a car before. Normally I'm really sad to see them go, but happy to try something new. In this case the "sad to see it go" feeling FAR outweighs the joy of a new car, so I'm keeping it until that feeling fades.

But again...beauty and image is in the eye of the beholder, and the people looking at that car. In my area you're more likely to see an R8 than an F-type. But other parts of the country F-Types are plentiful.

The following 2 users liked this post by 2015Coupe:
BostonKiller (12-23-2016), Burt Gummer (12-25-2016)
Old 12-23-2016, 03:28 PM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by SGT h0llywood
The only 3 vehicles that I would think would be laterally equivalent to the Audi R8 would be a Mercedes AMG GT, McLaren 570 and the Acura NSX.
Not to start an argument, but I would put those 3 cars above an F-Type, and above an R8 as well. I just don't see the R8 as being somehow better than an F-type. Ok...maybe a newer V10, but that's still a maybe, and then do you compare that to an SVR or R model? I think the R8 had that supercar image for me when it first came out, but lost that appeal. Especially since they kept it the same for so long. I think the newest R8 is quite sexy though. Inside and out.

The following users liked this post:
SGT h0llywood (12-23-2016)
Old 12-23-2016, 03:31 PM
Default ...

Originally Posted by Burt Gummer
The F-type wins in power and storage; about a 3x larger boot. F-Type less prestige, but more fun as in loud and brash.

If the R8 hasn't had its mag shocks replaced that is a pending $4.5k or so job or Mag delete.

Love the R8 but a 2015+ warrantied car has some advantages.

That gated shifter though - heaven.

Is that a wrap or repaint? Factory color?

Post up the R8 for sale here or one Audi R8 Talk, don't settle for some low trade-in until you at least try.
Yea, I'm dreading the mag shock service - luckily, the previous owner had an extended warranty that covered a new transmission and a/c compressor - $16K all said and done and I just had to pay a $100 deductible (woohoo!)

I agree with the Mercedes (but I hate the *** of the car) and the 570S and NSX are both amazing but my $200K+ will be going towards a 610-4 or 580-2 Huracan at some point in 2017.

My R8 has high mileage (64k) and I daily drive it so I'll be taking a bit of a hit. The dealer I went to today offered me $47k on trade towards a '16 CPO R but I would be coming out of pocket $51k and that's more than I want to put down to - in a sense - downgrade (the '16 is $94k). They said the wrap on my car is hurting the value since they don't know the condition of the paint underneath.

So I'm looking at a few '14-'15 V8S's in the $58-65k range and will private sell the R8 unless the dealer gave me $55k-ish.

Old 12-23-2016, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by 2015Coupe
Not to start an argument, but I would put those 3 cars above an F-Type, and above an R8 as well. I just don't see the R8 as being somehow better than an F-type. Ok...maybe a newer V10, but that's still a maybe, and then do you compare that to an SVR or R model? I think the R8 had that supercar image for me when it first came out, but lost that appeal. Especially since they kept it the same for so long. I think the newest R8 is quite sexy though. Inside and out.
No argument at all, just difference in tastes and totally see your point of view.

The only feasible argument that I can make outside from a personal opinion that would validate the R8 is that the depreciation is considerably less compared to the F Type. Aside from that, i'm just grasping straws here.

For me, the engine placement of a vehicle makes it appear more "super" and I think that is what differentiates the R8 from the F Type. Not taking anything away from an F Type R or SVR.

Old 12-23-2016, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by 2015Coupe
I've got a 2015 R, and get looks, pictures, comments, etc...everywhere. Even had some college aged kids come up my driveway, knocked on the door, and asked if they could take some pictures and look at the car. I came out, started it for them, popped the hood, etc. They were in love. Said they drove back and forth 3 times before the got the courage to approach the house and ask to look at it, and it was their dream car. They've watched every YouTube video on it. My wife laughed and asked if I told them I still watch every YouTube video on it now after owning it for a year and a half.

Put the factory silver fender stripe on it, and it makes it that much more bad a$$.

My cousin sells high end cars for a living, and just this week I asked him if an F-Type R is cooler than say a 2013 Gallardo. He said absolutely. Maybe the Gallardo's are played out a little (and I'm a HUGE Lambo fan).

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and I believe the F-Type stands above the R8 without question. And I'm an Audi lover as well (Still really really miss my B7 RS4).

Here's something to think about. Since you were planning to get rid of your current R8, you could always try out an F for a while, and if you don't like it, go get that newer R8 you were looking at. Not a big deal. I'm in the opposite situation, as I go through a lot of cars but love my F so much that even though I'd really like to try something next (like an R8 actually), I just cant bring myself to replace it. Never had this feeling for a car before. Normally I'm really sad to see them go, but happy to try something new. In this case the "sad to see it go" feeling FAR outweighs the joy of a new car, so I'm keeping it until that feeling fades.

But again...beauty and image is in the eye of the beholder, and the people looking at that car. In my area you're more likely to see an R8 than an F-type. But other parts of the country F-Types are plentiful.
Thanks for the input and the story - I hope I didn't sound like an attention ***** from my first post. The R8 has lived up to my expectations of owning my "dream car" and I'm deeply attached to it but I am concerned as the miles add up without warranty, the value drops every day I drive it and I don't even have bluetooth streaming (ahhhhh!)

Personally, I'm not a fan of the new R8's exterior and wish my car had that car's interior. I'm 35 - I like gadgets and buttons. It's the one thing I was let down with on my R8... Well, not a let down since it functions but I'm wanting more.

I told my fiance that I might have both cars for a while if the right car comes along and I need to private sell the R8. She briefly sounded like the exhaust on the F-Type but I'm sure she'll live with it for a few weeks, if that's what it took. I'm afraid I'll regret selling the R8 so this is probably the best scenario for me but it could be an expensive one if I pick up the F-Type and then want to trade or have to sell both cars for the R8 V10 Spyder... Decisions, decisions... I'm wayyy too impatient for this.

Old 12-23-2016, 04:08 PM
Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

If it helps you any I traded a 2007 Ferrari F430 coupe for my 2016 F Type R convertible. No regrets.

Attached Thumbnails R8 Owner Thinking About An F-Type...-430.jpg   R8 Owner Thinking About An F-Type...-jag-pp1.jpg  
The following 3 users liked this post by Tally Ho:
BostonKiller (12-23-2016), Burt Gummer (12-23-2016), SillyPuppy (01-04-2017)
Old 12-23-2016, 04:26 PM
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

i'm contemplating switching from the f type to a new R8 lease. The only thing visually I don't like about the R8 is how the back side runs from the back passenger windshield to the butt of the car.....seems like a hunch back or awkward look. The F type is much smoother on the looks towards the back. Also in the running is a maserati gt and bmw i8. Decisions decisions.

Old 12-23-2016, 04:36 PM
Received 182 Likes on 131 Posts

I was in the market for an R8 in 2014 when an offer was put in front of me for a brand new V8S that I just couldn't walk away from (they were giving huge discounts back then, not sure about now).

Overall I would still rather take the R8 over an F Type - R8 looks more supercar like and special to me, and I prefer the mid engine layout. Having said that I still have the F Type 3 years later and still really enjoy it - it's a fantastic car with a lot of character.

Bizarrely enough despite being a Firesand Orange cab with black wheels I don't really seem to get that much attention with the car. Based in the Northeast near New York / Greenwich maybe people are too used to seing exotics.

Old 12-23-2016, 05:03 PM
Veteran Member

Don't let the dealer take the car for $47k. Wrap or mileage be damned.

You could get $52k cash in a heartbeat if the car has dealer service records, good interior shape, clean carfax, etc. Rarely do you see a 2009 for less than $60k from a dealer.

Must be early production 2009 because BT streaming was supposed to be a big feature over the 2008s. Probably some way to add it. If you can find pre-wrap pictures from the previous owner that would help. Note to self - detailed pre-wrap pictures

As for the Huracan - that would be my choice if $$ was there. So nice.

You will love the F-type in the meantime I am sure.

Last edited by Burt Gummer; 12-23-2016 at 05:10 PM.
Old 12-23-2016, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by Tally Ho
If it helps you any I traded a 2007 Ferrari F430 coupe for my 2016 F Type R convertible. No regrets.
What was the reason for going to the F-Type?

Old 12-23-2016, 06:16 PM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I'd keep the R8; the grass is always greener...

Keep in mind reliability and resale value.

Old 12-23-2016, 06:25 PM
Received 182 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by Raul-7
I'd keep the R8; the grass is always greener...

Keep in mind reliability and resale value.
i think I would agree - stick with the R8

Old 12-23-2016, 06:31 PM
Default ...

Originally Posted by Burt Gummer
Don't let the dealer take the car for $47k. Wrap or mileage be damned.

You could get $52k cash in a heartbeat if the car has dealer service records, good interior shape, clean carfax, etc. Rarely do you see a 2009 for less than $60k from a dealer.

Must be early production 2009 because BT streaming was supposed to be a big feature over the 2008s. Probably some way to add it. If you can find pre-wrap pictures from the previous owner that would help. Note to self - detailed pre-wrap pictures

As for the Huracan - that would be my choice if $$ was there. So nice.

You will love the F-type in the meantime I am sure.
Definitely not taking $47k for the car but they also said that they might offer me more but he couldn't reach any of the people that would (I assumed) be interested in buying the car. If they had a V8S around $60k, I would've probably tried to negotiate a deal.

Either way, my current R8 is going because I want more power and a convertible. I put an offer in on a CPO, we'll see what happens....