F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R8 Owner Thinking About An F-Type...

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2016, 07:48 PM
Received 182 Likes on 131 Posts

The Jaguar dealer may make you feel like you are negotiating from a position of weakness - wrap reduces value etc. If you really do want to make the switch, the R8 is the more desirable car as can be seen from the far stronger residuals. The F Type is a far harder sell, they aren't exactly flying off the shelves, big discounts are available and dealers will be keen to shift any in stock - especially at this time of year.

Just be confident with your negotiation and be prepared to walk away from a sales discussion - am sure they will get back in contact with you to try and close the deal.

The following users liked this post:
Burt Gummer (12-23-2016)
Old 12-23-2016, 08:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 343 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by ek993
Bizarrely enough despite being a Firesand Orange cab with black wheels I don't really seem to get that much attention with the car. Based in the Northeast near New York / Greenwich maybe people are too used to seeing exotics.
Add to that cars in general don't have the appeal they used to especially with the Millennials or even teens for that matter.

Dated a couple 40-somethings both with teens 15,17 and neither one of them could care a less about cars at all. When I was 13-16 having my own car was all I thought about.

The Uber generation. They don't seem to care much about anything actually.

Old 12-23-2016, 08:52 PM
Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by dragonfire6
What was the reason for going to the F-Type?
Warranty and closer dealer network for starters. I enjoyed my time with the Ferrari but my area doesn't support ownership that's convenient. Parts are very expensive. The F Type will have better reliability and the AWD and extra 70hp doesn't hurt.

dragonfire6 (12-26-2016)
Old 12-23-2016, 11:25 PM
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

The Jaguar dealer may make you feel like you are negotiating from a position of weakness - wrap reduces value etc. If you really do want to make the switch, the R8 is the more desirable car as can be seen from the far stronger residuals. The F Type is a far harder sell, they aren't exactly flying off the shelves, big discounts are available and dealers will be keen to shift any in stock - especially at this time of year.

Just be confident with your negotiation and be prepared to walk away from a sales discussion - am sure they will get back in contact with you to try and close the deal.
What Ek said

Old 12-24-2016, 07:07 AM
Received 18 Likes on 5 Posts
Default ...

​​​​​​I'm definitely standing firm on the local F-Type and their $47k offer. I'm fortunate enough to be able to jump on a good deal even if trading my R8 isn't an option. I'm waiting to hear back from two dealers today.

Originally Posted by Tally Ho
Warranty and closer dealer network for starters. I enjoyed my time with the Ferrari but my area doesn't support ownership that's convenient. Parts are very expensive. The F Type will have better reliability and the AWD and extra 70hp doesn't hurt.
Thanks for the insight! Do you miss the F-car ownership benefits? Not that I'm comparing the F430 to my R8.

Old 12-24-2016, 09:19 AM
Received 42 Likes on 41 Posts

I would take your R8 coupe over an F-type coupe but since you're looking for a convertible the F-type is that way to go. Looks better and of course the sound!

dragonfire6 (12-26-2016)
Old 12-24-2016, 05:57 PM
Veteran Member

Dragon - If you get around to selling the R8 privately, PM me info. I have two friends that are R8 freaks and I don't believe they'd see 10k miles per year as excessive mileage.

Also an ad here would be possibly beneficial although cars don't turn over very quickly:
For Sale - Vehicles

Edit --- Also some paint thickness measuring tools can be used to prove fairly conclusively that paint/body below the wrap is ok. Say wrap + paint is 4mm-5mm. Readings around the car under say 7mm would be supporting evidence of no bodywork/repaints. Just a thought, I am no expert but read that somewhere.

Last edited by Burt Gummer; 12-25-2016 at 05:39 PM.
dragonfire6 (12-26-2016)
Old 12-25-2016, 08:40 AM
Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts

When I bought my F Type the R8 was one of the cars I was looking at along with GrandTurismo's. I choose the F Type because you never see them where I live but I have to say your R8 is GORGEOUS. Perfect color and wheel combo. If I had seen one like yours I would have probably gone with your R8. My vote, keep your R8.

Last edited by strippersteel; 12-25-2016 at 12:13 PM.
dragonfire6 (12-26-2016)
Old 12-25-2016, 11:05 AM
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

35 years old...difficult age...I know for sure as I am 34 😉. I got into F Type R AWD after driving BMW M5 2012. After one year the F Type felt way too heavy and the suspension too soft for a sports cars. That is my only complaint about it...the noise never gets boring as do the looks and power. I have many friends who have 2015\2016'R8 V10. I raced them many times on the autobahn. Thr difference in real live is not that much. We speak about some car lenghts. This year I got obsesses of buying another car and went into a mclaren 650s. I your desire is for another superior car I recommend you the huracan..otherwise you may end up buying two cars like me. Good luck with your decision...you cant go wrong either.

The following 2 users liked this post by Luciddream:
dragonfire6 (12-26-2016), Raul-7 (12-25-2016)
Old 12-25-2016, 03:11 PM
Veteran Member

"It sounds like it wants to kill everything within a 5 mile radius!" - I might have some sort of (many) mental disorders hahaha because I hear or read something and then hours or even days later I laugh about it. Thanks for the Xmas laugh.

dragonfire6 (12-26-2016)
Old 12-25-2016, 03:56 PM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Luciddream
35 years old...difficult age...I know for sure as I am 34 😉. I got into F Type R AWD after driving BMW M5 2012. After one year the F Type felt way too heavy and the suspension too soft for a sports cars. That is my only complaint about it...the noise never gets boring as do the looks and power. I have many friends who have 2015\2016'R8 V10. I raced them many times on the autobahn. Thr difference in real live is not that much. We speak about some car lenghts. This year I got obsesses of buying another car and went into a mclaren 650s. I your desire is for another superior car I recommend you the huracan..otherwise you may end up buying two cars like me. Good luck with your decision...you cant go wrong either.
I agree; after an R8 only a Huracan or McLaren 650S or 570GT will suffice.

Old 12-25-2016, 04:00 PM
Received 182 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by Raul-7
I agree; after an R8 only a Huracan or McLaren 650S or 570GT will suffice.
if he is willing to buy used, a 2014 MP4 12C Spider represents great value.

The following 2 users liked this post by ek993:
Burt Gummer (12-25-2016), dragonfire6 (12-26-2016)
Old 12-26-2016, 12:15 AM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

From what I've read and heard, the 12C are great values IF you don't run into any electrical system gremlins. For example, if the battery dies, it's supposed to lower the window at the last moment so you can get into the car...if it doesn't, it shatters the window when trying to get into the car. The battery replacement is a $3,000 replacement for a lightweight lithium-ion battery. And not to mention, if the steering rack needs to be replaced (pump fails, etc.) costs $35,000 to replace/fix.

Basically, amazing if under warranty....wouldn't touch out of warranty.

Old 12-26-2016, 01:05 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just picked up a 2016 Ftype R Convertible new for 85K in Nashville Tn.
They are trying to move those end of year cars and are giving the dealers 25k in incentive money. I would suggest JLR Nashville if your looking for a good deal. I know Columbia SC had a 2015 Silver Ftype R Convertible new for less than that.

In terms of R8 vs Ftype its different tastes. The Ftype is fun and exciting. Its not the Track car of the century. but it has gotten a lot of attention in my neck of the woods.

dragonfire6 (12-26-2016)
Old 12-26-2016, 01:20 AM
Received 92 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Burt Gummer
Add to that cars in general don't have the appeal they used to especially with the Millennials or even teens for that matter.

Dated a couple 40-somethings both with teens 15,17 and neither one of them could care a less about cars at all. When I was 13-16 having my own car was all I thought about.

The Uber generation. They don't seem to care much about anything actually.
I've noticed that for a while now. I couldn't imagine that at that age. These kids grew up with smart phones, social networks etc. Things we never had or imagined. Driving would take them away from this, I see kids driving and texting all the time, and pulling off the road to text etc. I can't imagine anything so important or dangerous. We needed a car to get out and do things, meet our friends etc., kids now days have that right at their fingertips.

Everyone I knew had their license at 16, now kids just don't care. Someday when we're all gone, everyone will be in self driving cars on their iPods, texting away about absolutely nothing.

Last edited by SoCalJagS; 12-26-2016 at 01:22 AM.
Burt Gummer (12-26-2016)
Old 12-26-2016, 02:50 AM
Veteran Member

One of my favorite movies is Idiocracy. The dumbing down didn't take 500 years however.

The huge decline happened in 2007 with the widespread distribution of large screened 'smart phones.' It tied the herd into a central mentality where intellectual or certainly independent thought and reason is forever gone.

Truth is it is probably better that less of these texting addicts and self-important Twitterers and FB'ers are not behind the wheel at all. They can barely walk with a phone let alone drive with one.

Idiocracy is today. There is a test that 8th graders had to take in the late 1880s to pass that possibly 1% of college grads could pass today. Yes, people today are much dumber than they were 125 years ago. People just believe they are smarter now which is simply not the case. http://www.indiana.edu/~p1013447/dic...hgradeexam.htm

So maybe it is a good thing that so many don't want to drive or care about cars.

Last edited by Burt Gummer; 12-26-2016 at 03:22 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Burt Gummer:
Desert Dawg (06-02-2017), SoCalJagS (12-29-2016)
Old 12-26-2016, 11:28 AM
Default ...

Originally Posted by Burt Gummer
Dragon - If you get around to selling the R8 privately, PM me info. I have two friends that are R8 freaks and I don't believe they'd see 10k miles per year as excessive mileage.

Also an ad here would be possibly beneficial although cars don't turn over very quickly:
For Sale - Vehicles

Edit --- Also some paint thickness measuring tools can be used to prove fairly conclusively that paint/body below the wrap is ok. Say wrap + paint is 4mm-5mm. Readings around the car under say 7mm would be supporting evidence of no bodywork/repaints. Just a thought, I am no expert but read that somewhere.
Thanks & I am a member on R8Talk also... I am pretty sure I'll end up private selling my R8. I got a sight-unseen offer of $53K from Mercedes of Del-Rey which is part of AutoNation. They have a 2016 R for $80k with 3K miles which I've added to the possible list...

Originally Posted by strippersteel
When I bought my F Type the R8 was one of the cars I was looking at along with GrandTurismo's. I choose the F Type because you never see them where I live but I have to say your R8 is GORGEOUS. Perfect color and wheel combo. If I had seen one like yours I would have probably gone with your R8. My vote, keep your R8.
Thanks! I bought it with the wrap and wheels already done by the previous owner. I've used the screen name Dragonfire6 for over 10 years and when the owner told me the name of the wrap was Dragonfire Red, I knew that was going to be my next car.

One of my neighbors has a 12C - It's amazing but not my cup of tea.

Originally Posted by FTYPER0169
I just picked up a 2016 Ftype R Convertible new for 85K in Nashville Tn.
They are trying to move those end of year cars and are giving the dealers 25k in incentive money. I would suggest JLR Nashville if your looking for a good deal. I know Columbia SC had a 2015 Silver Ftype R Convertible new for less than that.

In terms of R8 vs Ftype its different tastes. The Ftype is fun and exciting. Its not the Track car of the century. but it has gotten a lot of attention in my neck of the woods.
I have always wanted to make it to a race track, even back when I was riding motorcycles, but haven't done it yet. The Jag dealer I went to didn't seem to want to budge off of the MSRP for new ones so I'll be reaching out to JLR Nashville. Thanks for the advice!

I agree with you Burt, kids and most of society are turning into a bunch of mindless zombies.

Old 12-26-2016, 06:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,579 Likes on 1,419 Posts

dragonfire6,
I have driven the R-8 V-10 a couple of years ago, thought it was a very fine car (as are all Audis), but I actually liked the S-5 6 spd. which my partner had and which I drove on the track many times. Sure the R-8 was more of a "sports" car, but the S-5 (or now the RS-5) did everything so well, whether on the track or on the street at a level of smoothness and civility that I've rarely encountered in one automobile. However, since you don't get to the track (yet), then what you're looking for isn't really related to all out performance but more about what you feel like when you're driving the car and aesthetics.

I'm not much of a Porsche fan (great performance, but uninteresting looks and interiors), don't care much for McClarens either, but interestingly enough the Huracan is the first Lambo I've been attracted to since the Miura. It's body lines are simpler, less fussy, than the overwrought Aventador (which to me is just horrifyingly ugly). And since you're not a big track attendee, where things tend to want to break, maybe that's the way to go. I do like the F-type coupe as well, maybe an SVR version slightly lowered.

I admit that I'm older (63) and that I prefer older 60's-70's Italian sports cars for sheer beauty and design, so I may not be the best judge of what you should be looking at. But when I get my '72 Pantera back in a couple of weeks with its new 500+ hp engine in a 2800lb. car, it may not have the ability to play 6 cds or stream music from your iphone, but it's a hell of a thrilling ride!

Old 12-26-2016, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by tberg
dragonfire6,
I have driven the R-8 V-10 a couple of years ago, thought it was a very fine car (as are all Audis), but I actually liked the S-5 6 spd. which my partner had and which I drove on the track many times. Sure the R-8 was more of a "sports" car, but the S-5 (or now the RS-5) did everything so well, whether on the track or on the street at a level of smoothness and civility that I've rarely encountered in one automobile. However, since you don't get to the track (yet), then what you're looking for isn't really related to all out performance but more about what you feel like when you're driving the car and aesthetics.

I'm not much of a Porsche fan (great performance, but uninteresting looks and interiors), don't care much for McClarens either, but interestingly enough the Huracan is the first Lambo I've been attracted to since the Miura. It's body lines are simpler, less fussy, than the overwrought Aventador (which to me is just horrifyingly ugly). And since you're not a big track attendee, where things tend to want to break, maybe that's the way to go. I do like the F-type coupe as well, maybe an SVR version slightly lowered.

I admit that I'm older (63) and that I prefer older 60's-70's Italian sports cars for sheer beauty and design, so I may not be the best judge of what you should be looking at. But when I get my '72 Pantera back in a couple of weeks with its new 500+ hp engine in a 2800lb. car, it may not have the ability to play 6 cds or stream music from your iphone, but it's a hell of a thrilling ride!
Tberg,
Thanks for the perspective... I have been obsessing over the decision for the past week - researching, watching YouTube reviews & scouring the classified ads. My R8 will be missed but I think I've found her replacement. A silver CPO 2014 V8S with 12k on the clock for $57k. It's out of state so I'll be flying to see it on Thursday and shipping it down. It has everything I want options wise but silver I really wanted white. I'll end up getting it wrapped if the silver doesn't grow on me over the next few months. I have a couple back-ups but this is the best deal I've come across and with it being CPO, I can use it as my DD without any worries.

Old 12-26-2016, 08:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,579 Likes on 1,419 Posts

dragonfire,
The V8S is a blast. I had a convertible for 4 days when they first came out as Jaguar allowed four forum members to drive them after the L.A. Auto Show 3 years ago. I even took it to Buttonwillow Raceway (which they encouraged) and did one lap for photo ops. It was tons of fun, and in case you don't know it already, it's hard to believe that the noise is street legal. I think you'll really enjoy the F-type. As for the color, I have a silver XKR, and while it wouldn't have been my first color, I must say that it never looks dirty and doesn't show swirls, and with contrast wheels (maybe black), it still turns heads.