Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R8 Owner Thinking About An F-Type...

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2016, 08:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,577 Likes on 1,419 Posts

Here are some photos of that day at Buttonwillow raceway

Attached Thumbnails R8 Owner Thinking About An F-Type...-dscf1498-1280x960-.jpg   R8 Owner Thinking About An F-Type...-dscf1500.jpg   R8 Owner Thinking About An F-Type...-group-b-esses-speed-shots-cp4_2059-jan3015-photo_by_brian.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
dragonfire6 (12-27-2016)
Old 12-26-2016, 08:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,577 Likes on 1,419 Posts

Dragonfire,
One more thing, for about $7-800.00 you can add a pulley/tune combination to the V8S that will take it up to 600+hp, and make it considerably quicker (than your R-8 as well). I have done it to my 5.0L XKR and many F-type owners have done it through Velocity, Eurocharge, or ECU Tuning, all reputable, well regarded tuners. For a relatively small amount of money, it takes the next step to supercar performance.

dragonfire6 (12-27-2016)
Old 12-26-2016, 11:16 PM
Tel
Received 233 Likes on 143 Posts

Ditch the Beetle and get a Jag - The F is much more of a 'drivers' car.

I found the R8, admittedly is wasn't a manual, pretty boring on track. Under steered like a bitch and flattered the driver and just felt underwhelming. Interior of the R8 was better quality and feel, but you could have been sat in an A3.
That said, I was sat in the new V10 Spyder and a V10 Plus GT thing just two weeks ago at an Audi Sport dealer, admiring the new look, which I have to admit is a better, sharper take on the old rounded design, the huge **** end though....nope. Still no where as near as pretty or individual as an F.

dragonfire6 (12-27-2016)
Old 12-27-2016, 01:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 343 Likes on 256 Posts

The general consensus is any R8 pre-2014 should be a manual only since the autos were not so great. That changed in 2014+ with the dual clutch.

At least his 2009 is an MT. If the interior is nice, the car has records and it is capable of passing a pre-purchase inspection I don't see how it could sell for less than $60k. The dealer offering $47k or the sight unseen party for $53k see a car they can easily turn over for $60k for a quick profit.

A 2009 R8 can sell from anywhere from $45k (fair to poor, needs work) to $85k for pristine low mileage examples. Seen 2009s recently for $60-$65k with close to 60k miles when in good to great shape.

Last edited by Burt Gummer; 12-27-2016 at 01:20 AM.
dragonfire6 (12-27-2016)
Old 12-27-2016, 03:16 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Meh. I honestly don't unterstand some of the opinions on the R8 here. First off, the OP is looking to trade in the first gen V8 R8 - that's not a particularly rapid car in comparison to an F-Type R. Hell, it's slower than my old 997. So, yeah, I'd say an R would definitely be an upgrade. Regarding prestige...I'm not so certain either. Granted, I live in Germany and my perspective on this is obviously very different - but there's a plethora of R8s here, particularly in the major cities and very, very few F-Types (about 200 Rs currently registered last time I checked - only 3 to people under 30, one of them being me).
That leads to the R8 not really being the big deal people seem to make it out to be. If it's not orange or acid green, it doesn't really stand out in traffic at all if that's what you're after. It might have some degree of "street presence", but it's certainly not a very good looking car, at least in comparison to the F-Type. Just look at that rear section on the R8.

Also, funny that people seem to be praising residuals - I think they're pretty awful. We all know that F-Types take a big initial depreciation hit, but the first Plus models available over here are already in the 130k range - these cars are mere months old and had an MSRP close to or slightly exceeding 200k. If anything, these cars are "in the same boat" if you will.

That being said, the R8 was a car I had personally considered as my 997 replacement as well. Had I been able to find a low mileage V10 manual, I might have been persuaded as, for me, the manual trumps anything else, but, alas, it was not to be...I was able to test drive an S-Tronic one and while the transmission was alright, it's really the interior that didn't live up to expectations. People often knock the F-Type for it's slightly generic interior, but the first gen R8 isn't any better in this regard. Heck, the one I checked out didn't even have full leather - ridiculous that this wouldn't be standard on a V10 model - and, well, it's basically just the usual generic Audi design. Not particularly exciting or "supercarish" (I also don't agree with it's designation as a supercar, particularly due to the existence of the V8 model, which really does not put down current supercar numbers). The interior of the new gen looks much better - at least for the time being. However, as they're already putting the screen into the "lower level" Audis as well, I'd say that this new interior will age just as poorly as the last one - also, the gear selector just looks awful.

Still, the new V10 Plus DOES put down very good numbers and I'll certainly be checking one out come summer, if I can end my love affair with the F-Type until then.

Last edited by freeman2344; 12-27-2016 at 03:19 AM.
dragonfire6 (12-27-2016)
Old 12-27-2016, 09:40 AM
Received 18 Likes on 5 Posts
Default ...

Originally Posted by tberg
Dragonfire,
One more thing, for about $7-800.00 you can add a pulley/tune combination to the V8S that will take it up to 600+hp, and make it considerably quicker (than your R-8 as well). I have done it to my 5.0L XKR and many F-type owners have done it through Velocity, Eurocharge, or ECU Tuning, all reputable, well regarded tuners. For a relatively small amount of money, it takes the next step to supercar performance.
I'll look into this but many reviewers say the V8S is overpowered in RWD form and with the increase in torque over my R8, I might be ok with leaving the engine stock. I did think the same thing when I first got the R8 - that the 420hp stock would be enough since it was faster than the 335i it was replacing but that feeling faded and after test driving a V10, my car just didn't seem fast anymore.

I can't seem to talk myself into spending the extra money for a AWD R, which I would definitely do the pulley/tune. One popped up in South Florida for $79K with 3k miles but I found a 2014 CPO V8S for $22k cheaper!

Originally Posted by Tel
Ditch the Beetle and get a Jag - The F is much more of a 'drivers' car.

I found the R8, admittedly is wasn't a manual, pretty boring on track. Under steered like a bitch and flattered the driver and just felt underwhelming. Interior of the R8 was better quality and feel, but you could have been sat in an A3.
That said, I was sat in the new V10 Spyder and a V10 Plus GT thing just two weeks ago at an Audi Sport dealer, admiring the new look, which I have to admit is a better, sharper take on the old rounded design, the huge **** end though....nope. Still no where as near as pretty or individual as an F.
Personally, I think the 2014+ R8's have the best looking exterior. The R8 with the manual is awesome and the gated shifter makes every gear special.

Originally Posted by Burt Gummer
The general consensus is any R8 pre-2014 should be a manual only since the autos were not so great. That changed in 2014+ with the dual clutch.

At least his 2009 is an MT. If the interior is nice, the car has records and it is capable of passing a pre-purchase inspection I don't see how it could sell for less than $60k. The dealer offering $47k or the sight unseen party for $53k see a car they can easily turn over for $60k for a quick profit.

A 2009 R8 can sell from anywhere from $45k (fair to poor, needs work) to $85k for pristine low mileage examples. Seen 2009s recently for $60-$65k with close to 60k miles when in good to great shape.
Very true - the R-tronic is crap. My car is in very good condition, I have service records from my time with her and the interior is in great shape. I think I could get $58-62k from the right buyer who can appreciate the modifications & condition of the car.

Originally Posted by freeman2344
Meh. I honestly don't unterstand some of the opinions on the R8 here. First off, the OP is looking to trade in the first gen V8 R8 - that's not a particularly rapid car in comparison to an F-Type R. Hell, it's slower than my old 997. So, yeah, I'd say an R would definitely be an upgrade. Regarding prestige...I'm not so certain either. Granted, I live in Germany and my perspective on this is obviously very different - but there's a plethora of R8s here, particularly in the major cities and very, very few F-Types (about 200 Rs currently registered last time I checked - only 3 to people under 30, one of them being me).
That leads to the R8 not really being the big deal people seem to make it out to be. If it's not orange or acid green, it doesn't really stand out in traffic at all if that's what you're after. It might have some degree of "street presence", but it's certainly not a very good looking car, at least in comparison to the F-Type. Just look at that rear section on the R8.

Also, funny that people seem to be praising residuals - I think they're pretty awful. We all know that F-Types take a big initial depreciation hit, but the first Plus models available over here are already in the 130k range - these cars are mere months old and had an MSRP close to or slightly exceeding 200k. If anything, these cars are "in the same boat" if you will.

That being said, the R8 was a car I had personally considered as my 997 replacement as well. Had I been able to find a low mileage V10 manual, I might have been persuaded as, for me, the manual trumps anything else, but, alas, it was not to be...I was able to test drive an S-Tronic one and while the transmission was alright, it's really the interior that didn't live up to expectations. People often knock the F-Type for it's slightly generic interior, but the first gen R8 isn't any better in this regard. Heck, the one I checked out didn't even have full leather - ridiculous that this wouldn't be standard on a V10 model - and, well, it's basically just the usual generic Audi design. Not particularly exciting or "supercarish" (I also don't agree with it's designation as a supercar, particularly due to the existence of the V8 model, which really does not put down current supercar numbers). The interior of the new gen looks much better - at least for the time being. However, as they're already putting the screen into the "lower level" Audis as well, I'd say that this new interior will age just as poorly as the last one - also, the gear selector just looks awful.

Still, the new V10 Plus DOES put down very good numbers and I'll certainly be checking one out come summer, if I can end my love affair with the F-Type until then.
I fell in love with the R8 the first time I saw it. I think we all have those cars that just do it for you right away. I also feel like there are a couple other factors that go into considering a car "super" and I don't feel like the V8 R8 is a true super car but the V10 does deserve the designation in my eyes even if it is let down majorly by the interior.

I live in a city outside of Orlando and there is another white R8 that I see occasionally but it is stock and while the old body style has aged well and is still eye-catching, the other manufacturers really stepped up their game in the design department a couple years ago while Audi simply redid the headlights and added led's to the tails of their flagship. The S-tronic was a great addition to the car but it was late to the party considering the 2009 S5 convertible had the S-tronic which didn't make it to the R8 until 2014. The new R8 is a beast with a nice interior but the exterior is not my cup of tea so I can't even consider it.

I think the Huracan Spyder is almost perfect. I'm not in love with the back of the car but everything else is just so spot-on that I can forgive that easily.

I'm very close to pulling the trigger... I'll keep you guys posted.

Old 12-27-2016, 10:12 AM
Received 89 Likes on 77 Posts

r8 is a great car. in a 6sp config, one to consider keeping...not much downside.

there is a firesand convert v8 S at jag san diego. 2k miles and as new. $62k.

alotta cara for alitta lira

dragonfire6 (12-27-2016)
Old 12-27-2016, 11:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by dragonfire6

Very true - the R-tronic is crap. My car is in very good condition, I have service records from my time with her and the interior is in great shape. I think I could get $58-62k from the right buyer who can appreciate the modifications & condition of the car.
The big problem for me when shopping for a new car a couple years ago is that the R8s are no longer offered with an MT. (yes, I know...the dual clutched trannies are better, but...)

dragonfire6 (12-27-2016)
Old 12-27-2016, 12:41 PM
Default ...

Originally Posted by ferraripete
r8 is a great car. in a 6sp config, one to consider keeping...not much downside.

there is a firesand convert v8 S at jag san diego. 2k miles and as new. $62k.

alotta cara for alitta lira
Yes! That is one of the cars I've had my eye on!

Originally Posted by Unhingd
The big problem for me when shopping for a new car a couple years ago is that the R8s are no longer offered with an MT. (yes, I know...the dual clutched trannies are better, but...)
I'm not 100% sure how I'll like having an automatic again but it seems like most reviewers give the ZF automatic high marks.

Old 12-27-2016, 12:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by dragonfire6
I'm not 100% sure how I'll like having an automatic again but it seems like most reviewers give the ZF automatic high marks.
Take an F-Type R out for an extended test drive to make certain you won't get bored with the AT. I did so to try to talk myself out of a V6S MT (didn't work). And we also have at least one prominent member who fled from the marque (albeit from a V6 AT) who just had to get back to an MT (not being quite convinced the initial clutch problems with the Jag had been fixed).

Last edited by Unhingd; 12-27-2016 at 12:53 PM.
dragonfire6 (12-27-2016)
Old 12-27-2016, 02:53 PM
Veteran Member

I don't see how anyone could be too disappointed with any F-type's quickness/torque. The V8S is significantly quicker than the MT early model R8.

As far as top speed - in the US who cares; as far as the street.

Last edited by Burt Gummer; 12-27-2016 at 03:02 PM.
dragonfire6 (12-27-2016)
Old 12-27-2016, 03:14 PM
Veteran Member

The SD Firesand one is a great deal. Been looking around and this is a far 2nd - higher mileage - https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invent...ting=153625232

I do have to laugh - it never fails. Anytime I've ever shopped for a car it is always as far away from me as possible. If anyone ever spots one in PDX they want checked out I would be happy to look it over.

If you are looking to get $58-$62k for the R8 Ebay would be a good choice if you have any sales history due to their $50k protection plan for buyers. If you start it at $55k I would be your first bidder. I have friends that would take it off my hands for that if I didn't like it. No brainer. If I lived in Florida/CA/AZ/NV or any place other than Rain Town USA I would love a convertible though.

Last edited by Burt Gummer; 12-27-2016 at 03:23 PM.
dragonfire6 (12-27-2016)
Old 12-27-2016, 03:26 PM
Default ...

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Take an F-Type R out for an extended test drive to make certain you won't get bored with the AT. I did so to try to talk myself out of a V6S MT (didn't work). And we also have at least one prominent member who fled from the marque (albeit from a V6 AT) who just had to get back to an MT (not being quite convinced the initial clutch problems with the Jag had been fixed).
I actually was looking to see if any rental agencies had one available but to no avail. I'm not sure if my local dealer will let me do an extended test drive since they know they don't have a car that I'm really serious about buying.

I don't see how anyone could be too disappointed with any F-type's quickness/torque. The V8S is significantly quicker than the MT early model R8.

As far as top speed - in the US who cares; as far as the street.

Thanks for pulling that and the R was definitely much faster than my R8 and the V8S gave me the same impression on the test drive. I really didn't even get on the R much and the I took the V8S out on a solo test drive so I was able to actually push the car a bit.

I'm now weighing these options at the moment:

2015 V8S 11k - I offered the dealer $62,000 - It's my #1 color choice, white on black
2014 CPO V8S 13k - $57k - Silver (the color is growing on me)
2014 V8S 15k - $60k - White on black

Old 12-27-2016, 03:37 PM
Default ...

The SD Firesand one is a great deal. Been looking around and this is a far 2nd - higher mileage - https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invent...ting=153625232

I do have to laugh - it never fails. Anytime I've ever shopped for a car it is always as far away from me as possible. If anyone ever spots one in PDX they want checked out I would be happy to look it over.

If you are looking to get $58-$62k for the R8 Ebay would be a good choice if you have any sales history due to their $50k protection plan for buyers. If you start it at $55k I would be your first bidder. I have friends that would take it off my hands for that if I didn't like it. No brainer. If I lived in Florida/CA/AZ/NV or any place other than Rain Town USA I would love a convertible though.
I've had to fly and buy a few cars but I really like doing it if the drive back is less than six hours. It gives me a chance to get used to the car and mess with stuff haha.

Burt, I'll let you know when I actually plan to list the R8 for sale. I signed her up for a charity car show in February and my fiance suggested I keep her until after the show. She actually said I should put both cars in the show since she can drive "My" car finally (she can't drive stick - probably a good thing).

Firesand was actually my first color choice - There was a 2015 with 7k miles in Tampa for $65k that I was sure was going to the be car but they sold it a few weeks ago and never removed the ad. I got to see the color in person last week at Orlando Jag and it didn't make me stop and stare as much as the white.

Quick question... This white 2014 I'm considering does not have the front lower-middle lip painted black. Is the paint an option or is it possibly signs of front crash replacement bumper or respray? I have looked at a ton of cars and it is the only one I've seen (I think) that doesn't have the black lip.
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...6882/overview/

Old 12-27-2016, 04:36 PM
Received 182 Likes on 131 Posts

The V8 F Types are incredibly fast - I have had a Ferrari and 911 Turbo in the past and the F Type acceleration is just as breathtaking, if not more so. It has no finesse though, it is so easy to get the back end out or lose traction even when pointing in a straight line. Its a brute force hammer. If you accept it for what it is, it is an awful lot of fun though.

Hope the novelty of the exhaust and acceleration doesn't wear off for you though. I think the manual R8 will end up being highly sought after and a classic before too long. Got a feeling the F Type will continue to depreciate heavily like all other Jag's.

dragonfire6 (12-27-2016)
Old 12-27-2016, 04:55 PM
Default ...

Originally Posted by ek993
The V8 F Types are incredibly fast - I have had a Ferrari and 911 Turbo in the past and the F Type acceleration is just as breathtaking, if not more so. It has no finesse though, it is so easy to get the back end out or lose traction even when pointing in a straight line. Its a brute force hammer. If you accept it for what it is, it is an awful lot of fun though.

Hope the novelty of the exhaust and acceleration doesn't wear off for you though. I think the manual R8 will end up being highly sought after and a classic before too long. Got a feeling the F Type will continue to depreciate heavily like all other Jag's.
I'm ok with the depreciation as long as I get a good deal now. The dealer two hours from me came back with $62.9k (I offered $62k) and the car has everything I want... I'm gonna sleep on either getting this or the silver CPO for $57k... The money I save on buying the CPO, I could spend on a wrap and new rims hmmmmmm??

Old 12-27-2016, 06:52 PM
Veteran Member

Don't budge on the $900. You will get the car for $62k. Not that $900 means that much to you but it is fun getting the best deal. The $900 you spend toward a wrap will feel great.

Also dealers lie and so should you. When they call tell them you have two better deals lined up so you will have to decline .... unless they want to go $62k RIGHT NOW, last chance Make sure dealer fees are reasonable and all up front also. No hidden BS.

dragonfire6 (12-28-2016)
Old 12-27-2016, 07:22 PM
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

SVR 0-60mph in 3.0s? I wonder what the conditions were. Is there any info on this? I find this hard to believe without launch control.

Old 12-27-2016, 11:22 PM
Veteran Member

Timeless - did you notice Motortrend got the same 3.3 for the R and the SVR?

I believe you have to average out the testing sources.

Old 12-27-2016, 11:27 PM
Veteran Member

Dragon - are you talking about this piece in front? Yes, that is normally black.

I'd say that body color is an improvement made on this particular car. Might have just been a mod by the prior owner.

Could have been a minor curb accident I guess, but in that case the prior owner would have probably replaced with same color piece in most cases.

Also note:

Insist on a Carfax report - the video ad says one is included. The lighting isn't very good, but I don't see the lower 'driveway feeler' pieces - plastic lower spoiler either.

The good news is it looks like they bumped the price down to $60k on their own Acura website.

Last edited by Burt Gummer; 12-27-2016 at 11:41 PM.
dragonfire6 (12-28-2016)