F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R8 Owner Thinking About An F-Type...

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2016, 03:18 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ek993
Hope the novelty of the exhaust and acceleration doesn't wear off for you though. I think the manual R8 will end up being highly sought after and a classic before too long. Got a feeling the F Type will continue to depreciate heavily like all other Jag's.
This is a really poor comparison. Of course early R8s have less depreciation to go through now - they're almost 10 years old at this point. Whether or not they'll be classics the future will tell. I have my doubts. The only R8s that are likely to do well are manual V10s, which are already very, very rare. Particularly as Spyders. In many ways, R8s and F-Types are really similar - both suffer from prejudice (mainly brand associated) and both lack the street cred of a 911. It's always surprising to me how "respected" the R8 seems to be in the US - it's really more of a poseur's car over here. Whether or not there's anything to that is another story.

Of course, the OP will lose more money on an almost new F-Type in comparison to an aged R8 - though I would not underestimate maintenance on an old R8 either, knowing German cars and all. I could have held on to my manual 997 as well - I sold it for more than I paid for it. I guess I could have driven it until the end of my days without the car depreciating - doesn't mean I should have, though. Expensive sports cars are not about wise financial decisions - it's about having fun in the here and now and fulfilling your childish desires.

Old 12-28-2016, 01:31 PM
Received 18 Likes on 5 Posts
Default ...

Originally Posted by Burt Gummer
Dragon - are you talking about this piece in front? Yes, that is normally black.

I'd say that body color is an improvement made on this particular car. Might have just been a mod by the prior owner.

Could have been a minor curb accident I guess, but in that case the prior owner would have probably replaced with same color piece in most cases.

Also note:

Insist on a Carfax report - the video ad says one is included. The lighting isn't very good, but I don't see the lower 'driveway feeler' pieces - plastic lower spoiler either.

The good news is it looks like they bumped the price down to $60k on their own Acura website.

Burt,

Thanks the part I was talking about. The dealer amd salesman didn't want negotiate so I went with the white 2015. Got it for $61.7k and I'm picking it up tomorrow morning.

Thanks for all of the feedback and advice. You guys have been very helpful in helping me make my decision!

Old 12-28-2016, 01:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 343 Likes on 256 Posts

Cool - take pics and give impressions when you get it. Even though it is an auto and the wife/gf can drive it please consider forbidding her from doing so - throw in some demeaning sexist slang terms lol (save thyself some curb rash).

Had a CTS-V for seven years. Let GF give it to grocery store ONCE. Came back with curb rash on two wheels. How? It is an open parking lot. Maybe she stopped at another BF's house who knows who cares LOL.

Old 12-28-2016, 02:04 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by freeman2344
it's about having fun in the here and now and fulfilling your childish desires.
Yes! If this were not the case the F-Type, R8, whatever are in fact pretty useless vehicles. An old Landcruiser could get me from A to B just fine.

I want fun.

Old 12-28-2016, 02:18 PM

Cool - take pics and give impressions when you get it. Even though it is an auto and the wife/gf can drive it please consider forbidding her from doing so - throw in some demeaning sexist slang terms lol (save thyself some curb rash).

Had a CTS-V for seven years. Let GF give it to grocery store ONCE. Came back with curb rash on two wheels. How? It is an open parking lot. Maybe she stopped at another BF's house who knows who cares LOL.
Haha it doesn't sound like she is the current GF

Don't think I posted the link to the car:
http://www.exoticmtrcrs.com/used/Jaguar/2015-Jaguar-F-TYPE-b85807f50a0e08bc31fa6ff354d993fd.htm

Old 12-28-2016, 02:32 PM
Veteran Member

Ahh so nice - Tornados, my fav OEM wheel - fantastic contrast, great choice on car.

Old 12-28-2016, 05:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Yes! If this were not the case the F-Type, R8, whatever are in fact pretty useless vehicles. An old Landcruiser could get me from A to B just fine.

I want fun.
From point A to B in the middle of the outback is a lot more fun in my Land Cruiser than in my F-Type. Plus it has 3 times as many gear boxes, 10 more forward speeds and 3 more in reverse. Tell me that isn't fun.

The following users liked this post:
Burt Gummer (12-28-2016)
Old 12-28-2016, 09:27 PM
Default ...

Ughhhh definitely gonna have a hard time sleeping tonight...

Is Jaguar replacing peeling Start/Stop Buttons under warranty? It seems to be the only interior issue with the car.

Old 12-29-2016, 12:46 AM
Received 92 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by dragonfire6
Yea, I'm dreading the mag shock service - luckily, the previous owner had an extended warranty that covered a new transmission and a/c compressor - $16K all said and done and I just had to pay a $100 deductible (woohoo!)

I agree with the Mercedes (but I hate the *** of the car) and the 570S and NSX are both amazing but my $200K+ will be going towards a 610-4 or 580-2 Huracan at some point in 2017.

My R8 has high mileage (64k) and I daily drive it so I'll be taking a bit of a hit. The dealer I went to today offered me $47k on trade towards a '16 CPO R but I would be coming out of pocket $51k and that's more than I want to put down to - in a sense - downgrade (the '16 is $94k). They said the wrap on my car is hurting the value since they don't know the condition of the paint underneath.

So I'm looking at a few '14-'15 V8S's in the $58-65k range and will private sell the R8 unless the dealer gave me $55k-ish.
Food for thought. You have a 2009 R8 that is roughly worth half of what it was new. I just did a KBB value of a 2009 Jaguar XKR, roughly $100,000 new using your mileage of 64k and in good condition. KBB value from $17,000 to $22,000.

I love Jaguars, but they don't hold their value at all. I don't see the F type breaking that pattern. As a used car value down the road they will be a great buy.

This is no reason not to trade, but something to think about.

Old 12-29-2016, 01:45 AM
Veteran Member

I am the second cheapest person on this forum and even I give my blessing. These days avoiding that first depreciation hit, buying what I can a semi-new car, is about as good as you can do.

Buying a new F-Type for $109k on a showroom floor and then having it be worth $89k in 30 days no thank you I will pass - not even if my mattress was stuffed with a million gold coins.

If I had been born into wealth or had gobs of $$ to blow who cares, but even though I do well I still work for every dollar.

Dragon's 'new' car is sweet and he will be rewarded with lots of FUN. Yes, it costs and NO CAR purchase really can be financially justified in the real world.

The following users liked this post:
SoCalJagS (12-29-2016)
Old 12-29-2016, 04:06 AM
Default ...

Last year, I was on the TV show Shark Tank and left with two sharks so I love getting a good deal. I'm paying about $3k more than I think I really should be paying on this car and if I waited until after the new year, I'm sure I could buy it for $59k but it has all the options I want, it's a one owner Florida car, it's the color I want and it's a 2015. In my eyes, that's reason enough to pay a little extra now, especially since there are a few 2014's listed at or above what I'm paying.

The silver CPO or the Firesand in Cali is probably the smarter buy but I would probably be wrapping them within a month which is $3-4k by itself. The CPO is in Dayton, OH and I know I could almost name my price on it since it can't be easy selling a RWD convertible with close to 500hp when your dealership is covered in snow. Today I went to the garage where Orlando Jag keeps their inventory and looked at each color from every angle and I truly feel like I could keep the car white and be happy (I'm justifying the purchase to myself - I do this with everything.)

I can deal with the depreciation as long as I'm happy with the car - it's why I DD the R8. I smile every time I drive it, walk up to or away from it but the feeling has been a little tarnished since being out of warranty. The car has been extremely reliable - besides the A/C compressor and the transmission (which the dealer said really didn't need to be replaced at that moment but since the extended warranty was going to expire in a few months, did me a solid and pushed for replacement). If I had had to pay the $13k for it to be fixed out of pocket, I would probably be keeping the car another year and would probably be driving my Explorer daily and bringing out the R8 for weekends and date night.

I'm getting the F-Type because I think it is almost better looking than my R8, has a warranty, has nearly 500hp (which is near R8 V10 territory), has that amazing exhaust and it's a convertible that I can drive everyday without worrying about the next big repair bill.

I am curious to see if the year tick over has a dramatic & immediate effect to the car's value on KBB/NADA?

Old 12-29-2016, 10:23 AM
Received 92 Likes on 73 Posts

It looks like F type sales are going to be way down from 2015 for some reason. So there should be more inventory out there and some good deals soon.

Jaguar F-Type Sales Figures - GOOD CAR BAD CAR

Old 12-29-2016, 01:20 PM
Default ...

She's all mine!! It is faster than my R8 but about even with the Chevy Cruze I rented to get to Tampa this morning hahaha seriously, this car is a beast. It pulls like my R8 does but a gear - probably two gears lower and there's torque everywhere. I can see why some have said the V6 might be better matched for the car but I made the mistake of buying the smaller engine before and found myself longing for the larger one months into ownership. Dealer is replacing the start button next week under warranty - It looks like crap now but I'm glad it's covered.

I had the top down most of the drive back from Tampa and I did catch people looking at the car. Not as much as the R8 but it was getting a good amount of attention just from looks alone. It's funny that I've only seen one F-Type in the wild in the past 3 months but less than a mile from the dealer I pass one and saw three more on the way home.

Again, thanks for the info and advice. You guys really helped me make my decision and the information you provided to other members in their posts convinced me that the F-Type would be my next car.

The following 2 users liked this post by dragonfire6:
Burt Gummer (12-29-2016), F12guy (12-29-2016)
Old 12-29-2016, 03:18 PM

She's all mine!! It is faster than my R8 but about even with the Chevy Cruze I rented to get to Tampa this morning hahaha seriously, this car is a beast. It pulls like my R8 does but a gear - probably two gears lower and there's torque everywhere. I can see why some have said the V6 might be better matched for the car but I made the mistake of buying the smaller engine before and found myself longing for the larger one months into ownership. Dealer is replacing the start button next week under warranty - It looks like crap now but I'm glad it's covered.

I had the top down most of the drive back from Tampa and I did catch people looking at the car. Not as much as the R8 but it was getting a good amount of attention just from looks alone. It's funny that I've only seen one F-Type in the wild in the past 3 months but less than a mile from the dealer I pass one and saw three more on the way home.

Again, thanks for the info and advice. You guys really helped me make my decision and the information you provided to other members in their posts convinced me that the F-Type would be my next car.
All the best to you and enjoy the car!
For me, it was the same situation. My previous 997 was just a Base Carrera and though an S would not really have been much faster, it always annoyed me - it's more of a psychological issue. This time, I was going to get the "biggest" one available - and so I did.

Old 12-29-2016, 04:10 PM
Default ...

Thanks Freeman, even though you hate my R8 haha

Old 12-29-2016, 04:14 PM

Thanks Freeman, even though you hate my R8 haha

Haha, I totally don't HATE it. As I said, I may be looking at the new one next year - sorry if it came across that way in some of my posts. I was more trying to support you in your choice, as many people were telling you to stick with the R8. I know this situation very well as I had faced the same one earlier this year - people didn't want me to trade in my 911 either, but it was definitely the right choice.

They look great together though, maybe you should keep both

Nice house/garage as well - wish I could find something like that in Europe.

Old 12-29-2016, 05:21 PM
Default ...

Originally Posted by freeman2344
Haha, I totally don't HATE it. As I said, I may be looking at the new one next year - sorry if it came across that way in some of my posts. I was more trying to support you in your choice, as many people were telling you to stick with the R8. I know this situation very well as I had faced the same one earlier this year - people didn't want me to trade in my 911 either, but it was definitely the right choice.

They look great together though, maybe you should keep both

Nice house/garage as well - wish I could find something like that in Europe.
I was just giving you a hard time and thank you - I need a 4-car garage ASAP! Mrs. Dragonfire is only letting me keep the R8 until the car show (February) and then she has to go. It will be a sad dad but I already found my rebound.

Old 12-29-2016, 05:37 PM
Veteran Member

Hard life there DragonFire. Florida palm trees and sun + hmm which one do I drive today lol. Being in a no front plate required state is just the icing.

Old 12-29-2016, 06:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,579 Likes on 1,419 Posts

dragonfire6,
Wow, congratulations on a beautiful new car. Enjoy. 80F today in L.A., seeing your top down made me want to take my 'vert XKR out for a spin. Have a lot of fun!

Old 12-29-2016, 08:36 PM
Default ...

Hard life there DragonFire. Florida palm trees and sun + hmm which one do I drive today lol. Being in a no front plate required state is just the icing.
Times are definitely tough 'round these parts. I work pretty hard and I really don't spend a lot of money on anything for myself besides cars & paintball - granted those things are pretty expensive when I do buy something but if you work hard , your family is taken care of and you have a little extra at the end of the day - I say splurge!!

Originally Posted by tberg
dragonfire6,
Wow, congratulations on a beautiful new car. Enjoy. 80F today in L.A., seeing your top down made me want to take my 'vert XKR out for a spin. Have a lot of fun!

It was 80ish here too and sunny all the day. I could not have picked a better day to pick up the car, it was perfect! It's supposed to be in the 60s tomorrow then back up to the 80s but we are visiting friends for the new year so I won't be doing any top dropping until Monday.

​​​​​​Just detailed the inside of the car and the start button is killing me! Everything else is so nice and then that button looks like someone put a cigarette out on it a 10 times.