Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Race track and warranty

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2016, 08:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts
Default Race track and warranty

Just read 'car and driver' article on Camaros and GM extending warranty to cover track use. I wonder if anyone knows how Jaguar would handle this for F-type? I would be livid if stock F-type that suffered drive-train failure was denied warranty coverage in such circumstances.

Old 04-12-2016, 08:45 PM
Received 100 Likes on 64 Posts

Good question. I mean a 100% stock on DOT tires - if they tried to deny anything - we'd be in court.

Old 04-12-2016, 10:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 992 Likes on 742 Posts

Race track does not mean competition. Something like HPDE can be considered a driving school, since it is not competition and instructors are present. I've heard of VINs being flagged for going to weeknight bracket drag races, but not for HPDE.

There was recent item on Jalopnik about insurance and autocross though, so it's a question worth asking.

Old 04-13-2016, 12:42 AM
Received 39 Likes on 18 Posts

It would be interesting to see given that Jaguar has a track guide showing you how to "let the F type off of the leash".

I've tracked everyone of my cars from my Z06 to my CTS to my F type. I ve always kept car stock and they have been never used for " racing ". Thankfully my mechanical issues were minor but it's always best not to mention you had the car on a track if you ever need a warranty repair.

MC

The following users liked this post:
SinF (04-14-2016)
Old 04-13-2016, 04:17 PM
Received 121 Likes on 71 Posts

I keep receiving offers to attend a track-day with my F-Type that is sponsored by Jaguar and my dealership.

I interpret this to mean Jaguar sanctions non-competitive track-day use of our cars.

Old 04-13-2016, 09:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by TheStig
It would be interesting to see given that Jaguar has a track guide showing you how to "let the F type off of the leash".

I've tracked everyone of my cars from my Z06 to my CTS to my F type. I ve always kept car stock and they have been never used for " racing ". Thankfully my mechanical issues were minor but it's always best not to mention you had the car on a track if you ever need a warranty repair.

MC
+1. Tracked my Z06, Lotus, and a couple of M3s, also completely stock w/ no issues. I agree completely w/ your advice, and it's also probably best not to talk about it too much on internet forums. ;-)

SinF (04-14-2016)
Old 04-14-2016, 11:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 374 Likes on 280 Posts

Warranty claims are when something fails before it's failure window within normal use. Typically, race tracks are not considered normal use as it will naturally accelerate wear on just about every area of a vehicle. This is the exception when the car is marketed as "a track car". Certain models of Camaro are marketed as track cars, thus GM covering those models for their marketed usage.

Old 04-14-2016, 01:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 330 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by Mahjik
Warranty claims are when something fails before it's failure window within normal use. Typically, race tracks are not considered normal use as it will naturally accelerate wear on just about every area of a vehicle. This is the exception when the car is marketed as "a track car". Certain models of Camaro are marketed as track cars, thus GM covering those models for their marketed usage.
That all sounds fine and rational, BUT;

- just because you are driving on a race course doesn't mean you are involved in racing or any other form of competition.....which should be the line in the sand as far as I'm concerned. What about using your car on a track to take some sort of driver school training? I don't see that as being a reasonable trigger for warranty denial.

- The F type may not be "marketed as a track car" but lets look at this for a second; my car is capable of 186 miles per hour. The fastest speed limit in our Province is 120km/h (75 mph) and a speed of 150 km/h (93 mph) will get your car impounded on our fastest posted highway......at some point when a manufacturer builds a car with over 500hp, capable of sub 4 second zero to 60 mph times with a 186 mph top speed, they ought to allow that in order to even use even HALF of that capacity legally, you need to do so on a closed road/course. ....to me, warranty denial of a bone stock sportscar used in such a manner is a bit absurd.

yes, yes, at the end of the day just keep your mouth shut if you take your car to a track but it's still wrong IMO.

Dave

Old 04-14-2016, 01:33 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DPelletier
What about using your car on a track to take some sort of driver school training? I don't see that as being a reasonable trigger for warranty denial.
Warranty is different than insurance. For insurance purposes, "driver training" is covered. Warranty is different and subjective to the manufacturer. I've never seen any car not explicitly billed and sold as a track car, covered when parts failed from track usage.

Old 04-14-2016, 01:51 PM
Veteran Member

Warranty is different than insurance. For insurance purposes, "driver training" is covered. Warranty is different and subjective to the manufacturer. I've never seen any car not explicitly billed and sold as a track car, covered when parts failed from track usage.
I'm only talking about warranty and I understand all that; just don't think it's right for manufacturers to build these cars with all these stuff (superchargers, turbos, brembos, carbon fibre brakes, etc. etc.) and then deny warranty coverage when they're used on any closed course.

Dave

Old 04-14-2016, 04:07 PM
Veteran Member

I'm only talking about warranty and I understand all that; just don't think it's right for manufacturers to build these cars with all these stuff (superchargers, turbos, brembos, carbon fibre brakes, etc. etc.) and then deny warranty coverage when they're used on any closed course.

Dave
Unfortunately, that's the way it's alway been. The only way to fight it, is to fight it with your wallet (i.e. don't purchase their cars if they won't support how you want to use it).

Old 04-15-2016, 12:26 PM
Veteran Member

Unfortunately, that's the way it's alway been. The only way to fight it, is to fight it with your wallet (i.e. don't purchase their cars if they won't support how you want to use it).
I understand that too, but I don't have to like it! ;-)......and there is another way (the one everyone has been using) which is to simply not mention where you were when the car broke....

Cheers,
Dave

Old 04-15-2016, 01:00 PM
Awd
Received 79 Likes on 51 Posts

Off the topic of warrantee, but the insurance / HPDE debate continues to rage. Apparently some policies read that a claim for any damage at a race facility will not be covered ....including a parking area. HPDE participants are urged to have it very clear with their agent and insurance co. that they will be covered. There is though track coverage from some insurers.

That said..the mandatory insurer in British Colunbia has been know to repair a car damaged at a HPDE.

SinF (04-15-2016)
Old 04-15-2016, 01:53 PM
Veteran Member
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Awd
Off the topic of warrantee, but the insurance / HPDE debate continues to rage. Apparently some policies read that a claim for any damage at a race facility will not be covered ....including a parking area.
This is correct. Everyone should check on their individual plans/coverage to see what is (or isn't) available for them.

Old 12-17-2019, 12:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 377 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by SinF
Just read 'car and driver' article on Camaros and GM extending warranty to cover track use. I wonder if anyone knows how Jaguar would handle this for F-type? I would be livid if stock F-type that suffered drive-train failure was denied warranty coverage in such circumstances.
Don’t ever race what you can’t afford to lose. If you blow up your engine during a race you won’t have a warranty. Yes it can and does happen.

Old 12-17-2019, 01:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 377 Likes on 275 Posts

I understand that too, but I don't have to like it! ;-)......and there is another way (the one everyone has been using) which is to simply not mention where you were when the car broke....

Cheers,
Dave
Dave most mechanics are pretty sharp and can tell when something has been raced. Once they see an indication they likely will look for the various tell tail signs. What they do, what the dealership does at that point varies.

But the basic rule applies. Don’t race what you can’t afford to lose. While you can buy insurance to cover the car on the race track that does not include a transmission or other mechanical bits.

Old 12-18-2019, 11:40 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Mguar
Dave most mechanics are pretty sharp and can tell when something has been raced. Once they see an indication they likely will look for the various tell tail signs. What they do, what the dealership does at that point varies.

But the basic rule applies. Don’t race what you can’t afford to lose. While you can buy insurance to cover the car on the race track that does not include a transmission or other mechanical bits.
This thread is over 3.5 years old and I've since sold my F type but for the sake of discussion. I agree "don't race what you can't afford to lose" but that doesn't change my position on the matter. ....and no, none of the mechanics I've known (which is alot since I worked in the automotive industry) have some secret decoder ring that tells them the car was on a track vs the street when it failed.

Dave

SinF (12-18-2019)
Old 12-18-2019, 12:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

When dealership denies warranty they have to provide justification. I know dealerships often BS and hope you don't call them out on this. I know people who don't race that had warranty claims denied due to racing.

Unless dealership manages to upload your GPS data (wipe it before going in), there is no way they can prove any of it by just looking at your car (but they will look at your social media). There are high-temperature marks on edges of tires and there are rubber streaks around leading surfaces - both can be cleaned up.

More so, cars like F-type are expected to function in race conditions. You don't buy a sports car to just commute in it, it isn't how it is advertised and having it fail due to track use (note - use, not abuse) would be huge PR nightmare for JLR. I also know JLR engineers tested F-type on the race track - because it handles it rather well in stock form.

Fundamentally, your relationship with the dealership will matter a lot. If they want your repeated business, they are not going to be looking for a ways to turn you down and void your warranty.

DPelletier (12-18-2019)
Old 12-18-2019, 01:02 PM
Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Mguar
Don’t ever race what you can’t afford to lose. If you blow up your engine during a race you won’t have a warranty. Yes it can and does happen.
I thought this was a given, I guess not. I think Jaguar will deny claims all day long. You will have to pay/fight to get them to cover a track parts failure. Don't ask, don't tell.