Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RaceChip Install Questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2020, 05:27 PM
Banned
Received 425 Likes on 291 Posts
Default RaceChip Install Questions

I received my RaceChip today and would like some input from anyone familiar with installing the unit.
First off, the connection at the back of the engine. What sensor is that, the MAP or the supercharger boost? Those two connections are the only ones necessary to install the unit. The one on the front of the engine looks very accessible and shouldn't be too hard to connect.
The one on the back of the engine, on the other hand, is in a bit of a tight spot and even given being able to disconnect it there seems very little room to remove the connector after it's free.
My question with the rear connector is: Would it be not be simpler to simply disconnect the sensor itself (whichever one it is) from the engine block (with connector in place), make the connections, then reattach the sensor to the engine block? The sensor is held in place with one screw, but I have no idea what's underneath.
Thanks in advance to anyone who can shed any light on this procedure.

Old 05-20-2020, 06:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 380 Likes on 257 Posts

I seem to recall that a banned member named RacerX did a write up on installation. Search for his old posts.

Old 05-20-2020, 06:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,267 Likes on 2,411 Posts

Try this post: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...3/#post2120366
I don't think anyone has successfully disconnected the MAPT sensor, plugged in the RC, then reconnected the sensor.

Old 05-21-2020, 07:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 986 Likes on 566 Posts

Originally Posted by fujicoupe
I received my RaceChip today and would like some input from anyone familiar with installing the unit.
First off, the connection at the back of the engine. What sensor is that, the MAP or the supercharger boost? Those two connections are the only ones necessary to install the unit. The one on the front of the engine looks very accessible and shouldn't be too hard to connect.
The one on the back of the engine, on the other hand, is in a bit of a tight spot and even given being able to disconnect it there seems very little room to remove the connector after it's free.
My question with the rear connector is: Would it be not be simpler to simply disconnect the sensor itself (whichever one it is) from the engine block (with connector in place), make the connections, then reattach the sensor to the engine block? The sensor is held in place with one screw, but I have no idea what's underneath.
Thanks in advance to anyone who can shed any light on this procedure.
I do not think removing the sensor is the way t go, or any easier (but do what works for you). The trick is getting the right angle to remove and uninstall. Once you get that, it is not too bad. A couple of pics for you from my install that may help?
DC

Old 05-21-2020, 07:54 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by RGPV6S
I seem to recall that a banned member named RacerX did a write up on installation. Search for his old posts.
Yes, I was familiar with that member and his post. I was sorry he got booted before I could pick his brain.

Old 05-21-2020, 07:58 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by OzXFR
Try this post: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...3/#post2120366
I don't think anyone has successfully disconnected the MAPT sensor, plugged in the RC, then reconnected the sensor.
Thanks for that link. I remember that presentation now that I've reread it. I had actually forgotten it due to advancing years I guess, but I'll go back over it several times before I embark on the task.

Old 05-21-2020, 08:00 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Therock88
I do not think removing the sensor is the way t go, or any easier (but do what works for you). The trick is getting the right angle to remove and uninstall. Once you get that, it is not too bad. A couple of pics for you from my install that may help?
DC

Thanks for the pics and the advice. I'll give it a try the conventional way before doing anything drastic.
BTW, have have you noticed any gains in acceleration or torque?

Last edited by fujicoupe; 05-21-2020 at 08:00 AM. Reason: old age
Old 05-21-2020, 09:17 AM
Banned

Question for anyone who has installed RaceChip:
The first step in installing the RaceChip is to open the bonnet and lock the vehicle. My vehicle will not lock with the bonnet open and I don't want fiddle with both latches to fool the car into thinking it's locked.
Will it be okay to proceed with bonnet open and vehicle unlocked?

Old 05-21-2020, 09:40 AM
Veteran Member

The first step in installing the RaceChip is to open the bonnet and lock the vehicle. My vehicle will not lock with the bonnet open and I don't want fiddle with both latches to fool the car into thinking it's locked.
Yes...It will be fine. And you are correct. No lock with Bonnet open. On your previous question about noticing a change in performance. I have posted DYNO results posted by another user. More factual than a guess at butt DYNO.
DC

Results: (Note these are on a V8 - R)

Stock = 487 WHP / 460 Torque
SC Pulley no tune (WHP) = 506 WHP / 480 Torque
Stock + Racechip GTS Black Map = 535 WHP / 505 Torque
Racechip GTS Black Map 7 + SC Pulley = 555 WHP / 520 Torque

Peak WHP gain anywhere across the RPM band w/Racechip is about 70 HP eyeballing it.

Assuming 10% drivetrain loss, Racechip nets you 594 HP / 561 Torque
Assuming 10% drivetrain loss, Racechip + SC Pulley nets you 616 HP / 578 Torque

Assuming 15% drivetrain loss, Racechip nets you 629 HP / 594 Torque
Assuming 15% drivetrain loss, Racechip + SC Pulley nets you 653 HP/ 612 Torque

Assuming 20% drivetrain loss, Racechip nets you 669 HP / 631 Torque
Assuming 20% drivetrain loss, Racechip + SC Pulley nets you 694 HP / 650 Torque

Old 05-21-2020, 10:52 AM
Banned

That back connector is kicking my behind. The front one came apart no problem, but the back one seems cemented in place. Is there a locking clip and if so which way does it need to be moved to maybe get the connector apart? I tried removing the sensor but there seemed to be a fairly long probe that I didn't think it wise to take out.

Old 05-21-2020, 12:19 PM
Banned

Got it! Using a hook from a small hook and pick set, and two blade screwdrivers it came right off. These old eyes had a hard time seeing the clip that was holding the connectors together, but once I saw it I was able to hook it and lift up while I pried the connector enough with one screwdriver to get by the tab that keeps it from coming loose, then grab the other screwdriver to slide it on off.
Thanks everyone for your patience and assistance.

The following users liked this post:
scm (05-21-2020)
Old 05-21-2020, 12:29 PM
Veteran Member

Got it! Using a hook from a small hook and pick set, and two blade screwdrivers it came right off. These old eyes had a hard time seeing the clip that was holding the connectors together, but once I saw it I was able to hook it and lift up while I pried the connector enough with one screwdriver to get by the tab that keeps it from coming loose, then grab the other screwdriver to slide it on off.
Thanks everyone for your patience and assistance.
Yes. You can see the whole connector in the picture I posted above. It has a clip on top (see picture). Lift up as you are pulling/pushing back.

DC

Old 05-21-2020, 01:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Why would you need to lock the vehicle?

Old 05-21-2020, 01:37 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Exactly I was not too concerned. Only thing I could imagine RC was thinking is maybe when you lock it, it goes in to sleep mode....But that is just an unsubstantiated hypothesis (guess).

DC

Old 05-21-2020, 02:35 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Only because that is the first instruction: "Open bonnet and lock vehicle before beginning installation"
It's all installed and car is running fine with no codes or glitches that I can tell. It does seem a tad stronger after one short test drive (some under full throttle, but only in a straight line as the roads are wet).
Except for that stubborn rear connector (MAFT sensor), very easy.
Downloaded the app and registered the unit, played with settings, etc. with no issues.
I'll post impressions after some experience, esp. on dry pavement.
Thanks again everyone, esp. Rock for the assistance.

The following users liked this post:
JagRag (05-21-2020)
Old 05-27-2020, 05:27 PM
Received 101 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Therock88
Yes...It will be fine. And you are correct. No lock with Bonnet open. On your previous question about noticing a change in performance. I have posted DYNO results posted by another user. More factual than a guess at butt DYNO.
DC

Results: (Note these are on a V8 - R)

Stock = 487 WHP / 460 Torque
SC Pulley no tune (WHP) = 506 WHP / 480 Torque
Stock + Racechip GTS Black Map = 535 WHP / 505 Torque
Racechip GTS Black Map 7 + SC Pulley = 555 WHP / 520 Torque

Peak WHP gain anywhere across the RPM band w/Racechip is about 70 HP eyeballing it.

Assuming 10% drivetrain loss, Racechip nets you 594 HP / 561 Torque
Assuming 10% drivetrain loss, Racechip + SC Pulley nets you 616 HP / 578 Torque

Assuming 15% drivetrain loss, Racechip nets you 629 HP / 594 Torque
Assuming 15% drivetrain loss, Racechip + SC Pulley nets you 653 HP/ 612 Torque

Assuming 20% drivetrain loss, Racechip nets you 669 HP / 631 Torque
Assuming 20% drivetrain loss, Racechip + SC Pulley nets you 694 HP / 650 Torque
I'd take these figures with a pinch of salt along with anything racerx said.

Old 05-28-2020, 08:13 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Timbo
I'd take these figures with a pinch of salt along with anything racerx said.
No Idea about RacerX. He posted Dyno graphs as well, so maybe he uses Photoshop or Illustrator? At any rate, this is what is posted on RaceChip site also... For the OP who asked about it.

Only real way to know on your car is to Dyno it on an AWD Dyno. Even then, the numbers will vary based on the Dyno machine, temps, humidity etc..
So all you can hope for is to be directionally correct...

DC

Old 06-02-2020, 09:48 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hey mate, thanks for the posts. I just got a F-Type SVR and thinking about getting this, mainly for some extra pops and crackles. Did you notice a difference in pops and crackles? also any feedback on performance feeling?

Old 06-02-2020, 09:51 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Only because that is the first instruction: "Open bonnet and lock vehicle before beginning installation"
It's all installed and car is running fine with no codes or glitches that I can tell. It does seem a tad stronger after one short test drive (some under full throttle, but only in a straight line as the roads are wet).
Except for that stubborn rear connector (MAFT sensor), very easy.
Downloaded the app and registered the unit, played with settings, etc. with no issues.
I'll post impressions after some experience, esp. on dry pavement.
Thanks again everyone, esp. Rock for the assistance.

hey mate, thanks for the posts. I just got a F-Type SVR and thinking about getting this, mainly for some extra pops and crackles. Did you notice a difference in pops and crackles? also any feedback on performance feeling?

Old 06-03-2020, 06:26 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Yaseen Abbas
Performance does seem better, and cannot say there are "more" pops/crackles.....but there are plenty for sure.

DC