F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Raced a 1,000+rwhp Challenger SRT last night from a dig...

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2022, 02:33 PM
Received 136 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Raced a 1,000+rwhp Challenger SRT last night from a dig...

Last night got to race a really cool SRT Challenger owner that was a little over 1,000rwhp and 850rwtq from a dead stop. Granted he would definitely beat me from a higher roll but just for fun went from a dead stop at the race spot last night that we were both at and I was ahead by a good margin both times. First time i forgot to turn traction control off. Was helping him work out his car to get it to hook but I'm sure he'll get there sometime when he learns the car more...it was around 40 degrees last night too which didn't help either. He's on Mickey Thompson R radials and then skinnies up front.

Just at a little car show today as it's soo nice out!

The following 2 users liked this post by TT_6SPD_95:
datriani (02-22-2022), djyankees31 (02-22-2022)
Old 02-20-2022, 02:54 PM
Received 222 Likes on 165 Posts

Interesting, so you beat the challenger twice? What distance?

Old 02-20-2022, 04:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,166 Likes on 676 Posts

Yeah we need more info, as that seems to be a stretch?

Jack

Old 02-20-2022, 04:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 984 Likes on 565 Posts

If your car is stock(or even tuned), he must not know how to drive his, or he is vastly exaggerating his power/TQ (by about 100%). If this was a street race you may get the jump with AWD, but even tuned, It is hard to believe you are going to beat 1000 WHP car with a ~440 WHP. He is a little over 500 Lbs. heavier and over twice the HP (unless he is lying...or a really bad driver)??

DC

The following users liked this post:
89 Jacobra (02-20-2022)
Old 02-20-2022, 05:10 PM

Indeed, I actually own both an f-type R and a challenger that is built to over 1000hp. Currently, I have it tuned to a neighborhood friendly 810hp using only 12 pounds of boost and 93 octane pump gas and it will walk the f-type on the Mickey Thompson’s or the Michelin AS4’s. The R is fast, the challenger is legitimately scary. It was previously making a little over 950hp on 100 octane and 16 pounds of boost and the biggest issue is traction, but even easing into the throttle to keep it planted, it would pace the R by 1.5 - 2 seconds in a quarter mile.

Last edited by gg2684; 02-20-2022 at 06:38 PM.
89 Jacobra (02-20-2022)
Old 02-20-2022, 09:18 PM

You guys all seemed to have skipped right over the part where he didn't have traction and it was a cold 40 degrees out too. He already knew that he wasn't going to have traction going into the race, but thought we would do it for fun. He has literally never raced the car against anyone from a stop before. He's still learning the car and it was just built not that long ago.

This was only an 1/8 mile race. Just a fun couple hits but he has no traction.

I obviously know that my car can't beat a 1,000hp car that was actually putting power down. LOLOL Yes it was actually a 1,000hp car...I know who built it, know what it makes and see the dynosheet. He just has major traction issues right now and it's also a manual transmission. Lots of driving for sure!!

The following 2 users liked this post by TT_6SPD_95:
89 Jacobra (02-21-2022), datriani (02-22-2022)
Old 02-20-2022, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by gg2684
Interesting, so you beat the challenger twice? What distance?
One of the 1/8 mile spots everyone races at. Yes, twice but he has major traction issues and is trying to figure out out. After the races I tried helping him a bit with the tire pressure and such but it was cold too and we also just had snow not too long ago and there was salt all over too.

Like I said...traction was a big problem for him.

Old 02-20-2022, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by 89 Jacobra
Yeah we need more info, as that seems to be a stretch?

Jack
The info is all in the original post. Traction was a big problem for the Challenger. Just having fun enjoying the car and thought I would post about it is all. I'm helping him sort out the traction issues. I'm going to try to get him to go to the same tires I use on my built Viper.

Old 02-20-2022, 09:32 PM

Indeed, I actually own both an f-type R and a challenger that is built to over 1000hp. Currently, I have it tuned to a neighborhood friendly 810hp using only 12 pounds of boost and 93 octane pump gas and it will walk the f-type on the Mickey Thompson’s or the Michelin AS4’s. The R is fast, the challenger is legitimately scary. It was previously making a little over 950hp on 100 octane and 16 pounds of boost and the biggest issue is traction, but even easing into the throttle to keep it planted, it would pace the R by 1.5 - 2 seconds in a quarter mile.
Of course it will if it hooked, but this one didn't and we're trying to get his traction problems all sorted out. Just having fun enjoying the car. The car works very well in like almost all conditions it seems. I'm still getting used to it.

Old 02-20-2022, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by TT_6SPD_95
You guys all seemed to have skipped right over the part where he didn't have traction and it was a cold 40 degrees out too. He already knew that he wasn't going to have traction going into the race, but thought we would do it for fun. He has literally never raced the car against anyone from a stop before. He's still learning the car and it was just built not that long ago.

This was only an 1/8 mile race. Just a fun couple hits but he has no traction.

I obviously know that my car can't beat a 1,000hp car that was actually putting power down. LOLOL Yes it was actually a 1,000hp car...I know who built it, know what it makes and see the dynosheet. He just has major traction issues right now and it's also a manual transmission. Lots of driving for sure!!
I may have ADHD, but I don’t skip over anything. I factored in slippage etc, but still couldn’t reconcile; hence the question. Thanks for the presumption of ignorance and clearing up the confusion.

Old 02-20-2022, 09:41 PM

I may have ADHD, but I don’t skip over anything. I factored in slippage etc, but still couldn’t reconcile; hence the question. Thanks for the presumption of ignorance and clearing up the confusion.
Okay, so you read the part in the original post where I specifically said I was trying to help him to get his car to hook and then also about the part of it being 40 degrees and that didn't help him either. It was obviously all about him not hooking and that's what I said in the original post so yes it looks like some may of skipped right over this part.

Old 02-21-2022, 12:02 AM
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

With normal tires and not a perfect road, you can have all the power oh the world, but RWD cant beat an AWD from a stop, awd is the right choice for a car with over 500hp. Awd wins in almost every kind of race exept from a roll race in a straight road.

Old 02-21-2022, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by spegor
With normal tires and not a perfect road, you can have all the power oh the world, but RWD cant beat an AWD from a stop, awd is the right choice for a car with over 500hp. Awd wins in almost every kind of race exept from a roll race in a straight road.
RWD can work with the right tires, tire pressures, 2-step and a lot of driving/experience to make it all work together in the situation at hand but ya, if you're not putting down the power then it doesn't do much good. Just a fun night of racing and then last night got to do a lot of racing with the bike guys from dead stops and rolls too. So much fun and a really nice day out but it was way too windy!

I'm helping the Challenger get the power down like I do in my Viper which makes 1,007rwhp and over 1,000rwtq at well. I'm sure he'll be doing better dead stops soon...its all trial and error to get it right.

89 Jacobra (02-21-2022)
Old 02-21-2022, 09:56 AM
Veteran Member

And, Yes I did read the post and noted the 40 degree temps, and the fact he's new to the car. The Info you left out was 1, it was a stick, and 2 that you only ran 660, Those 2 factors there, slant the advantage in your direction, as the Challenger had no room to run you down, once it did find some traction. A 1000HP anything is hard to hook on the street no matter what, let alone being a stick.

Good luck.

Jack

Last edited by 89 Jacobra; 02-21-2022 at 04:12 PM.
Old 02-21-2022, 10:57 AM

And, Yes I did read the post and noted the 40 degree temps, and the fact he's new to the car. The Info you left out was 1, it was a stick, and 2 that you only ran 680, Those 2 factors there, slant the advantage in your direction, as the Challenger had no room to run you down, once it did find some traction. A 1000HP anything is hard to hook on the street no matter what, let alone being a stick.

Good luck.

Jack
Stick or auto....I said traction was a huge problem and didn't know I needed to go over the specs of his entire car as ultimately traction was the culprit as i originally stated in the first place. This was a 660 race...little more actually, but he wouldn't of ran me down in the 1/4 either as he was way too far back and I had too much momentum on him...traction was a HUGE problem for him. He'll get it sorted out and I'm actually helping him with it. The Jaguar AWD just doesn't care about the conditions too much, it just goes and that's all this post was about. No Prep, no burnout, just hit it and go. This post was not supposed to be like this at all. Lol It's not that big of a deal...traction was simply a huge problem and that's it.

This was not a grudge race, etc...just a friendly hey we don't have anything else to do race so let's have some fun here at the race spot and the Jag is very forgiving of the race conditions at hand.

Last edited by TT_6SPD_95; 02-21-2022 at 01:15 PM.
89 Jacobra (02-21-2022)
Old 02-21-2022, 03:50 PM

And, Yes I did read the post and noted the 40 degree temps, and the fact he's new to the car. The Info you left out was 1, it was a stick, and 2 that you only ran 680, Those 2 factors there, slant the advantage in your direction, as the Challenger had no room to run you down, once it did find some traction. A 1000HP anything is hard to hook on the street no matter what, let alone being a stick.

Good luck.

Jack
This is kind of where I was headed. I have launched mine (auto) in similar temperatures and easing into the pedal is an easy way to beat the slipping - that said, it only takes about 1.5 seconds to get to full throttle and the car is a straight up rocket when you’re in it. I am unable to race my cars against each other, but I can’t imagine the f type launching well enough to hold off the challenger.

To be clear, I read all the responses about traction, temps etc. also. I am simply saying that I could run down my f type in a 1/8th mile and outrace it in a 1/4. In addition to traction, that dude could sounds like he needs to learn how to drive a stick. Okay know manuals are fun, but there is a reason that many types of race cars are automatics or some form of an auto. The auto in the challenger has line lock and customized launch controls as well as onboard Telemetrics, 1/4 and 1/8 mile timers, advanced gauges for everything and a Dyno. As well as being just plain cool, the tools can be very helpful to get the car figured out. Side note, the dyno in mine goes to 500hp since the factory motor is rated at 485 - it’s funny to watch the line go beyond the limit of the screen and disappear for a few sconces until you back off the throttle.

89 Jacobra (02-21-2022)
Old 02-21-2022, 04:16 PM
Veteran Member

OOOPPPPPSSSS I meant 660, I never meant to be sinical. I just knew there was more to the story. Kinda like Paul Harvey. "And Now you know the REST of the story" LOL.

Jack

Old 02-21-2022, 04:22 PM

This is kind of where I was headed. I have launched mine (auto) in similar temperatures and easing into the pedal is an easy way to beat the slipping - that said, it only takes about 1.5 seconds to get to full throttle and the car is a straight up rocket when you’re in it. I am unable to race my cars against each other, but I can’t imagine the f type launching well enough to hold off the challenger.

To be clear, I read all the responses about traction, temps etc. also. I am simply saying that I could run down my f type in a 1/8th mile and outrace it in a 1/4. In addition to traction, that dude could sounds like he needs to learn how to drive a stick. Okay know manuals are fun, but there is a reason that many types of race cars are automatics or some form of an auto. The auto in the challenger has line lock and customized launch controls as well as onboard Telemetrics, 1/4 and 1/8 mile timers, advanced gauges for everything and a Dyno. As well as being just plain cool, the tools can be very helpful to get the car figured out. Side note, the dyno in mine goes to 500hp since the factory motor is rated at 485 - it’s funny to watch the line go beyond the limit of the screen and disappear for a few sconces until you back off the throttle.
Sounds like you have your car figured out pretty well and you are definitely ahead of this guy that is just getting seat time in his with terrible traction conditions, etc. I could run down my Ftype with my Supra or Viper (definitely wouldn't be much running down though) but that's because they are setup and I am very familiar with the cars and racing 6 speed manuals in general. He'll learn his car soon enough though and make it work even in not so good conditions. Takes a lot of trial and error. He literally just got his car done like a month ago.

Old 02-21-2022, 04:24 PM

OOOPPPPPSSSS I meant 660, I never meant to be sinical. I just knew there was more to the story. Kinda like Paul Harvey. "And Now you know the REST of the story" LOL.

Jack
I just thought bad/terrible traction was enough since that's what the major culprit was. Didn't want to go into his entire setup on his car. I mean i can tell you why he wasn't getting traction but that's another thread in itself. 😀

Old 02-22-2022, 06:01 PM
Received 141 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by TT_6SPD_95
I just thought bad/terrible traction was enough since that's what the major culprit was. Didn't want to go into his entire setup on his car. I mean i can tell you why he wasn't getting traction but that's another thread in itself. 😀
Hey man thanks for sharing that quick story and sorry you've got everyone dissecting every word and detail you mentioned. I think you were pretty clear this was a friendly race and a chance for him to get acquainted with his car under pretty rough conditions. Hope when things warm up he has a chance to adjust his driving style to maximize his car's capabilities but glad he was able to keep it in a straight line (an assumption on my part) in this scenario.

I had a Scat Pack Charger race me from a dig and he ended up taking it lateral with his rear wheels jumping the curb...not a pretty site. Luckily I was already in front and watched it from my rear view. Stay safe brotha

Quick Reply: Raced a 1,000+rwhp Challenger SRT last night from a dig...