F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Raced a 1,000+rwhp Challenger SRT last night from a dig...

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2022, 12:46 AM
Received 136 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by datriani
Hey man thanks for sharing that quick story and sorry you've got everyone dissecting every word and detail you mentioned. I think you were pretty clear this was a friendly race and a chance for him to get acquainted with his car under pretty rough conditions. Hope when things warm up he has a chance to adjust his driving style to maximize his car's capabilities but glad he was able to keep it in a straight line (an assumption on my part) in this scenario.

I had a Scat Pack Charger race me from a dig and he ended up taking it lateral with his rear wheels jumping the curb...not a pretty site. Luckily I was already in front and watched it from my rear view. Stay safe brotha
No problem and ya I'm working with him to try and get him to start hooking better with the car. I'm sure he'll get it all figured out soon but a lot of it is just seat time and learning the car for the conditions.

Hope everyone was okay with that mishap!

Old 02-23-2022, 08:31 AM
Received 141 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by TT_6SPD_95
No problem and ya I'm working with him to try and get him to start hooking better with the car. I'm sure he'll get it all figured out soon but a lot of it is just seat time and learning the car for the conditions.

Hope everyone was okay with that mishap!
Yeah, he suffered from a severely bruise ego and a sore wallet for a bit but nothing he couldn’t recover from.

Just curious, what kind of car was your buddy coming from before this ride? I have another buddy who had a 400hp mustang before his relatively new 1000hp+ challenger and he struggled on the drag strip a few weeks ago. He’s not really a racer, just had the car built for bragging rights and for car meet ups….Nothing wrong with that.

I was at a car meet up the other day and chatting with a guy about how we cut our teeth on cars from the 80’s/90’s and it gives us a different understanding/skill with handling a car. But a 1000hp+ is on another level. Kind of makes me worried that anyone can have their car built to that level without any type of training. That’s like giving a kid a gun without any guidance or supervision…. Just seems dangerous.

Hope you’re able to help him work out his driving approach and able to keep it safe.

Old 02-23-2022, 09:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,348 Likes on 1,849 Posts

Your right about that but even worse are the massive super bikes. So much power and performance stock that they almost require a professional drag racer license to drive them safely!

Old 02-23-2022, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by clubairth1
Your right about that but even worse are the massive super bikes. So much power and performance stock that they almost require a professional drag racer license to drive them safely!
I live in the mid Atlantic area where the roads are horrible and the drivers are even worse so not too many performance bikes running around. But my days (80’s-2000’s) in LA and Dallas and the few biker friends I had back then gives me a glimpse of where bikes might be today if that market mirrors the car market. Back then a 300hp car was the standard and now we have the 707hp factory cars….crazy but awesome, ha

Old 02-23-2022, 10:36 AM
Received 222 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by datriani
I live in the mid Atlantic area where the roads are horrible and the drivers are even worse so not too many performance bikes running around. But my days (80’s-2000’s) in LA and Dallas and the few biker friends I had back then gives me a glimpse of where bikes might be today if that market mirrors the car market. Back then a 300hp car was the standard and now we have the 707hp factory cars….crazy but awesome, ha
so true; funny how 400 HP used to be a huge deal and now people ask, "okay, so which model is the fast one" - knowing full well, they have no practical application for that power or the ability and environment to use it - me included. If some is good, more is better!

Old 02-23-2022, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by gg2684
so true; funny how 400 HP used to be a huge deal and now people ask, "okay, so which model is the fast one" - knowing full well, they have no practical application for that power or the ability and environment to use it - me included. If some is good, more is better!
The average age of a new corvette owner is 61 and I would go out on a limb and say most of them hadn’t previously driven or owned a car with that much power. Prior to the C8, that was just insane and uncontrollable for most. I had 2 older buddies who went out and bought brand new Vettes when they retired and within 2 years sold them saying it was too much for them. I actually applaud them for making that decision before it was made for them.

This is no slight on the older forum members, I’m about a decade away from being in this group. My point is that putting a 400, 500, 600, 700hp+ car in the hands of a newbie to the high HP world is just insane…. Especially if it’s RWD.