F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rain intrusion over night, likely no biggie, I hope...

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2016, 11:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts
Default Rain intrusion over night, likely no biggie, I hope...

I admit, something is wonky with these windows, or me... as they are randomly open at times I don't remember having them open. Whatever the case, usually operator error....

I don't have a garage, park under cover most of the time, but was on the street last night and somehow the passenger window was down about 1/4 of the way. It rained pretty bad in the Bay Area last night...

It could have been a lot worse... no real puddling, but vertical rain drops everywhere. Obviously the carpet / floor runners got some rain / damp.

Have any of you dealt with water intrusion, and what was the aftermath for the systems, the leather, etc? I imagine the convertible's window buttons are made to withstand a moment of weather, but should I take it the dealer for them to do anything? Should I be out there with a hair dryer? It's basically dry everywhere, but I can see where the weather got moist, etc. I think I am most worried about the floor being damp and whether that will dry normally or I should be more aggressive because of mold, etc?

Thanks. Sorry for the "dumb user" question. =)

Old 01-19-2016, 12:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 179 Likes on 153 Posts

This is not a problem, but an opportunity:

Turn the temperature on the climate control to maximum, direct it at the foot wells, and go for a long drive...

The following users liked this post:
Uncle Fishbits (01-20-2016)
Old 01-19-2016, 01:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 981 Likes on 732 Posts

I suggest a wet/dry shop-vac. Vacuum the carpet thoroughly to get as much water as you can from it, then lay down dry towels on all the places that got exposed. As they draw water into themselves, rotate them for dry.

A long drive might not hurt either, for a couple of reasons.

And yes, we did get some rain, didn't we?

Old 01-19-2016, 08:57 PM
Received 89 Likes on 57 Posts

My daughter left the windows open on the s-it Saturn Ion I bought for the kids 2 days before her driving test. It rained heavily over night, the interior was very damp.
We put a home A/C powered dehumidifier in the car, set up on the passenger seat with a piece of plywood for a base and some wood blocks to level the unit. Ran the cord out the window which was open about 1/2", let the dehumidifier run all night. The next morning the dehumidifier was full of water and the interior was bone dry.
My old convertible used to leak all the time in the rain, took ages to totally dry out. The dehumidifier did the trick in a matter of hours....

Old 01-19-2016, 09:42 PM
Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

The dehumidifier sounds like a great idea. You might also try "damp-rid" containers left in the car for a few weeks (changed out as they get used up).

As far as windows rolling down, my wife's BMW started doing that when the battery was near end of life (windows would roll down randomly on their own while car was parked). Very strange symptom, but it stopped once the battery was replaced.

Old 01-20-2016, 04:00 AM
Tel
Received 233 Likes on 143 Posts

I had two 1.5'' holes in the floor pan of my old Triumph Spitfire to let the water run out!

Not suggesting to drill drain holes in your F, but I would use a large Microfibre cloth to remove the excess, then as others have said, either leave a portable dehumidifier in the car overnight (this works very well) or leave the ac on say at 21C for a while and go for a drive.

Old 01-20-2016, 09:16 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by F-typical
This is not a problem, but an opportunity:

Turn the temperature on the climate control to maximum, direct it at the foot wells, and go for a long drive...
THANK YOU ALL. I got most out with towels, then blow dried light heat on the controls, etc... as for the above idea....

Superb. I did this. I also didn't have heat on max... so it would make it too warm for the leftover water. I also put down odor eaters with charcoal and baking powder in them, and that did a lot. I also took the opportunity to clean the leather.... and all seems totally fine today.

Always a silver lining. Worst case scenario I but a new one. lol

YES WE GOT SOME RAIN. Holy cow, I forgot what a good El Nino was like. I LOVE IT... for now. If this goes through March like they say, it's going to be a bit much. At least we can't complain about the drought.. as much. Winter green everywhere.

FtypeRRR (01-20-2016)
Old 01-20-2016, 09:18 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Tel
I had two 1.5'' holes in the floor pan of my old Triumph Spitfire to let the water run out!

Not suggesting to drill drain holes in your F, but I would use a large Microfibre cloth to remove the excess, then as others have said, either leave a portable dehumidifier in the car overnight (this works very well) or leave the ac on say at 21C for a while and go for a drive.
My other car is a 95 Wrangler with said holes. Which is funny, because *that* is getting the covered parking spot right now because it leaks like a nervous kid during a nightmare. LOL Pushing the Jag out on the street.

Old 01-20-2016, 09:19 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by TR64ever
My old convertible used to leak all the time in the rain, took ages to totally dry out. The dehumidifier did the trick in a matter of hours....
I am grabbing one of those little portable ones just for this situation, and ones in the future. It's rainy enough the slicker and shoes are getting damp in this car all the time. =) Great idea. Thank you.

Old 01-20-2016, 09:47 AM
Received 92 Likes on 73 Posts

Do yourself a huge favor, get the Superweave, it's extremely light weight, virtually waterproof and dust proof. A must for a high end car kept out doors.

California Car Cover Company - Car Cover Materials

Old 01-20-2016, 10:08 AM
Veteran Member

My dealer suggested that most car covers that are kept on in high winds, rain, elements will end up with friction / paint damage / orange peel or some effect from the constant brushing? Is that material something that doesn't damage, then? THANKS!!

Old 01-20-2016, 12:21 PM

I have 2 of these covers on cars I have to keep out doors for several years. I have not noticed any burnishing on the paint of either. But as you know not a lot of rain or wind here. But it's amazing how clean it will keep your car. In really high wind I would take it off, it could blow off. But no the material will not scratch your finish.

Old 01-20-2016, 12:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Yes, these may be practical in places like CA, where severe weather is a rare occurrence. However, in the vast majority of the country, where severe storms are frequent and materialize quickly, they just aren't very practical for outdoor storage.

Old 01-20-2016, 12:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 179 Likes on 153 Posts

Plus, the bodywork needs to be spotless if you're to avoid scratches due to dust and grit.

Old 01-20-2016, 01:05 PM

Yes and if you store your car outside with no protection it will always be dirty. Just a suggestion, you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink. It's your car, it's your decision.

Old 01-20-2016, 01:33 PM
Veteran Member

Oh I tried them years ago. I gave up after finding them wadded up and blown off cars more than a few times after a sudden storm.

However, it hasn't been a issue for me in many years. All my vehicles are now in my heated barn or garage.

Old 01-20-2016, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by Foosh
Oh I tried them years ago. I gave up after finding them wadded up and blown off cars more than a few times after a sudden storm.

However, it hasn't been a issue for me in many years. All my vehicles are now in my heated barn or garage.
Good for you, but if you read, his car has to be kept outside.

Old 01-20-2016, 02:16 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by SoCalJagS
Good for you, but if you read, his car has to be kept outside.
And if you read, that's where mine were kept before I had the luxury of 2 large climate controlled spaces. I tried many expensive covers, and they didn't work well

Sorry if it upsets you that someone has an opinion which differs from yours.

Old 01-20-2016, 02:24 PM

And if you read, that's where mine were kept before I had the luxury of 2 large climate controlled spaces. I tried many expensive covers, and they didn't work well

Whatever..

Old 01-21-2016, 01:00 PM
Veteran Member

This is just offhanded, friendly, polite conversation where no one is ever able to reach intonation. So no harm, no foul, we're all friends. =) Cheers.

I honestly don't care about dirt. I drive down the 1 for work a lot, I drive it almost daily commuting to different work spots or my office. If it's clean, it's not being driven, I assume, and that's not my thing. =) I've always been known for dirty fun. Take that as you will. =)

Yeah.. live in Marin and lucky in many ways, but no garages around her, really. mostly open and covered.

The point, however, is that I am buying one of those weather proof ones for my Jeep. I can park it and forget about it for a few months as it will blend into the concrete color. =)

Thanks all! =) I'm not too jealous about the garage. I'll get there. =)

Thanks SoCal. Great stuff.

Quick Reply: Rain intrusion over night, likely no biggie, I hope...