F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rain water collecting in trunk lid

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2020, 05:43 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Rain water collecting in trunk lid

My 2018 F Type has a problem collecting rain water in the lid every time it rains. When I open the trunk and lift the lid you can hear water sloshing. It hasn't entered the trunk area until yesterday. The trunk itself was dry, but yesterday when I opened the trunk, there was so much water inside the lid that it started dripping into my trunk. Previously, I would only hear the water sloshing around, but now water dripping into the trunk area. We have had quite a bit of rain so the lid has a lot of water in it.

Last year I brought the car into the dealer twice for this problem. The first time they stated they cleaned some drain holes, but when I received the car back, the water wasn't even removed. When I brought it back, they told me that it was normal and rain was collecting in the lid when my car is possibly parked on an incline in my driveway. They told me after driving the car it should come out. This doesn't sound right to me and even after driving if for long periods, it doesn't come out.

I have google it to try to find some answers, but I have only been able to find examples of people that have their entire trunk wet. I am only getting it in the lid and my trunk is completely dry, except for the over spillage yesterday when I opened the trunk. Any ideas? I want to bring it back in to the dealer with some possible answers and demand that they fix it. I am worried about eventually have some real rust problems in the lid.

Old 05-04-2020, 12:17 PM
Tel
Received 233 Likes on 143 Posts

Manually raise the rear spoiler whilst parked. There are two drain areas with mesh over them. These over time can fill with debris and block. Park the car uphill to see if that makes any difference, i.e boot lower than the front of the car.

To prove that it is good, grab an empty soda bottle, fill it with water and slowly pour the water down either/both the soak areas and see if it comes out of the two 'spouts' on the underside of the boot lid.
If it doesn't, then a quick probe with a long 3mm cable tie might dislodge whatever is blocking the channel.

Old 05-05-2020, 07:16 AM
Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

What I found interesting is the trunk lid area.

this is the dirtiest area of the car. Every time I open the trunk I feel like getting a rag and cleaning the trunk lid area.

always dirty!