Sponsored by:

Rattle fix #1

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2017, 06:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,226 Likes on 2,380 Posts
Default Rattle fix #1

I hate rattles and squeaks in the car.
A couple of weeks ago I removed then replaced the rear hatch privacy cover (coupe).
It started rattling, and straight away I found that I hadn't slotted one of the catches in, and it was merely sitting on top of the locating "peg" instead of around it. OK, put it in properly, all fixed.
Noooo, the rattle was still there and in some situations even worse!
Packed out some of the panel gaps where the cover attaches and sits with bits of rubber and/or velcro - no change.
Wrapped the "pegs" in some electrical tape (to get a tighter fit) - no change.
By this point the constant rattle was driving me beresk!
Had my son sit in the passenger seat and apply downward pressure on the cover, reduced the rattle by about 75%.
So this morning I re-wrapped the pegs with insulation tape, but this time I went crazy, around 10 or 12 winds around each peg.
This made it a bit difficult to refit the cover, as it was now a very tight fit around the pegs.
But it worked, no more damned rattles!
Time will tell how long this fix lasts.

The following users liked this post:
jaguny (01-29-2017)
Old 01-28-2017, 06:53 PM
Received 46 Likes on 24 Posts

I hate rattles and squeaks too, I'm surprised you don't have any other issues with it. Or did you get them resolved?

Old 01-28-2017, 07:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,226 Likes on 2,380 Posts

Originally Posted by pistol
I hate rattles and squeaks too, I'm surprised you don't have any other issues with it. Or did you get them resolved?
This was pretty much the only interior rattle, squeak or buzz.
And that is on a two year old car.
There is the occasional minor rattle/buzz from the glove box area but it's rare, impossible to track down and probably very difficult and/or massively expensive to fix, so I'm resigned to living with it.
The more I read about issues and problems with F-Types the more I think I was lucky and I got a good'un with almost zero problems.
Either that or all the problems were fixed when it was a dealer demo, as it was for the first few months and around 3,000 km.

Old 01-28-2017, 08:57 PM
Received 46 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by OzXFR
There is the occasional minor rattle/buzz from the glove box area but it's rare, impossible to track down and probably very difficult and/or massively expensive to fix, so I'm resigned to living with it.
I've had this issue and they took the dash apart, was fixed for a while but some variation of it is now back again. The car's in the shop again for them to fix alongside a bunch of other items.

Old 01-29-2017, 08:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

Pistol, you seem to have a problem child car. Hope your issues get resolved. You have been most helpful to us on the forum.

Old 02-07-2017, 10:05 PM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by pistol
I've had this issue and they took the dash apart, was fixed for a while but some variation of it is now back again. The car's in the shop again for them to fix alongside a bunch of other items.

Sadly, the more you mettle with it, the more chance the gaps proliferate. Mine Meridian is "fixed" and now a cacophony of squeaks and vibrations come out to play.

I don't know, still sounds better than an ex gf nagging next to me!