F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rattling rear hatch cover

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2015, 08:43 PM
Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Rattling rear hatch cover

Does anyone have this problem? It's driving me crazy... Already had it replaced with the "new" 2016 design....

It rattles and squeaks....awful. If I jam a t-shirt between the cover and hatch trim...it's better. It seems so loose laterally....poor design.

Old 08-30-2015, 08:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by XFactoR
Does anyone have this problem? It's driving me crazy... Already had it replaced with the "new" 2016 design....

It rattles and squeaks....awful. If I jam a t-shirt between the cover and hatch trim...it's better. It seems so loose laterally....poor design.
2000 miles. No problems with the hatch so far.

Old 08-30-2015, 10:14 AM

Mine started to creak at about 500 miles. It was light, but noticeable only on lateral type transitions, like exiting a pitched driveway . . .it got worse and worse.

This is where Jaguar drives me crazy. It's the little rattles and trim pieces that belie the price of the car.

Old 08-30-2015, 11:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

No rattles of any kind in the convertible after 15 months. That's the first time I've been able to say that about any of the many convertibles I've owned including several BMWs.

Sounds like a bad part design in the coupe.

Old 08-30-2015, 04:24 PM
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I've found that it rattles a lot if this guy is slack, meaning the lid hasn't aligned itself correctly. It's usually better if I open and re-close the hatch.

Last edited by bwco; 08-30-2015 at 07:08 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 08-30-2015, 06:50 PM

Maybe...but if you move the cover from side to side...it's astounding how much travel there is...

Old 08-30-2015, 06:56 PM
Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

I am wondering if I could have the same rattle as you XFactoR? But my car is a convertible, so my rattle is obviously not from the rear hatch cover cause I don't have one. The rattle I have is not loud, but it is quite noticeable when I have the top up - and sounds like it's coming from behind my left ear. But I don't think the rattle is in proximity to my left ear, but rather that the sound travels that way and end right in my left ear because in a convertible there is a "hole" there from towards the rear, wheel well, trunk, door whatever.

The rattle is also there when I have the top down, but now it's easier to hear when I open the door while driving and sticking my ear outside the car.

- It sounds like small pebbles dropping on plastic (it's always challenging for me to describe a sound!) but slightly more squeaky or plastic
- The sound is not caused by pebbles, it is always coming from left even when you sit in the right seat - and there are no pebbles on the road
- It is there whether I have top up or down, but easiest to hear when top is up
- In a full blown OCD attack, I stuck towels in many places, including the mechanism that opens and closes the top, I don't think anything in there is responsible
- I also stuck towels in various places in trunk, didn't make a difference
- It is about as loud as a squeaking seat - as when you make turns, so it's not all that loud, but it's persistent and occurs with the slightest bumps on a normal road

I made a recording of the sound, hoping it helps anyone recognize it.

Finally, this sound is not all that irritating, if I play music or put the exhaust on, I don't really notice it. It is borderline one of those funny noises that I can ignore completely for weeks/months - but let me know if you have an idea or suggestion.

Attached Files
File Type: mp3
Jag Rattle Squeaking 1.mp3 (908.5 KB, 576 views)

Last edited by jm717; 08-30-2015 at 08:00 PM.
Old 08-31-2015, 08:41 AM
Received 71 Likes on 40 Posts

Ok, so I thought I had a rattle as well, but found a way to eliminate it in my car. The rattle and squeak was omnipresent when going over bumps, any sort of vigorous turns, even at times pulling out of my driveway.

I checked and re-checked the hatch, the hinge, the little lanyards that haul the cover up and down, and it all seemed solid. So I took a guess it was coming from the seat.

I had the seat all the way rear, and some part of the seat was rubbing against some part of that center structural element. Moving the seat forward just a tiny amount, and the car returned to quiet. May not help you, but it fixed me.

Orkney

The following users liked this post:
IRRBrogue (10-13-2015)
Old 08-31-2015, 06:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

Could it be passenger seat belt rattling against door?

Old 09-01-2015, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by jaguny
Could it be passenger seat belt rattling against door?
Not the seat belts or seats themselves for me. I can move the seats around while driving and I can trap seat belts and keep tension on them - and the sound is still there. I'll ask dealer if he can pinpoint the sound at next scheduled service visit.

Old 10-13-2015, 10:36 PM

Just got my car back from dealer today, and they fixed this issue for me. All done as a warranty repair and I am happy to report that my squeaking/tapping sound is gone. What was done is below (excerpt from $0 invoice):

22293 BODY FLEX AT LEFT LOWER B PILLAR TO STRUCTURE FASTENERS TEST DRIVE WITH CHASSIS EARS ON LR SPRING, SWAY BAR, SHOCK, LOWER CONTROL ARM, & ROCKER PANEL, REMOVE TRUNK INTERIOR PANELS TO ACCESS SHOCK, REMOVE LOWER DOOR SILL CLADDING AND TEST DRIVE, LOOSEN B PILLAR FASTENERS AND INSTALL STRIP CAULK BETWEEN PANELS TO ISOLATE NOISE, TORQUE FASTENERS TO SPECS, TEST DRIVE, REPLACE LEFT DOOR WEATHERSTRIP

They located the problem and fixed it, so I'm a happy camper. I think it was in the area where b-pillar meets rocker panels. Just wanted to let you know that in case someone else experiences something similar.

The following 2 users liked this post by jm717:
Foosh (10-14-2015), offers1 (07-29-2018)
Old 11-14-2015, 07:28 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The clunk noise is only with the top up. It is more frequent with the passenger window down which makes me suspect the window in the up position pushers against the top. Remember, this is only on the passenger side of the vehicle, no problem with the drivers side. By the way, even though the problem was not solved, meaning in automobile service department could not duplicate, I have become the problem because I questioned why they didn't contact Jaguar or do anything else since there is no adjustment; just accept the fact the body flexes over undulations in the road, etc. They want their 10s under their terms.

Old 10-26-2017, 03:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just bought a 2016 type S coupe w/2,400 miles. I removed the hatch cover and it got louder so it was actually muffling some of the rattling/noise. I have the same noise in your recording right behind the seat/passengers right shoulder. Now there is a new one which sounds like a Styrofoam cooler lid squeaking on the body. There a couple flimsy pices of plastic that cover the area between the hatch cover and the small opera window that I thing are the problem as I can move them flex up and down when I pres/pull on them. Going to try securing them and see if that takes care of it.

Old 10-26-2017, 08:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by Prewdent
Just bought a 2016 type S coupe w/2,400 miles. I removed the hatch cover and it got louder so it was actually muffling some of the rattling/noise. I have the same noise in your recording right behind the seat/passengers right shoulder. Now there is a new one which sounds like a Styrofoam cooler lid squeaking on the body. There a couple flimsy pices of plastic that cover the area between the hatch cover and the small opera window that I thing are the problem as I can move them flex up and down when I pres/pull on them. Going to try securing them and see if that takes care of it.
Sounds symptomatic of a loose body seam. One of the glue joints may not have been fused properly. Take it to the dealer.