Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rattling sound and JLR denying a problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2023, 02:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rattling sound and JLR denying a problem

Hey guys,

My 400 started making a weird sound 2 weeks ago. I told JLR to check it. I don't know much about mechanics so I just explained to them the rattling sound and to just start it to hear it. They said they couldn't see anything wrong and that it was probably the injectors. I refused to take back the car. I told them there's clearly something wrong and to check again. They did, and they said there was nothing they could see or hear.

Videos:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/tAxYPgVAoeo8BU457
https://photos.app.goo.gl/XEHdUBjDQyaMi1s88

aaaand now my check engine is on.

Idk for you guys but I can very clearly hear a weird sound. I'm not sure if they're not taking me seriously because I'm a women or if they are trying to save themselves from the extended warranty? I have another appointement on Monday to hopefully fix it.

I just want to prevent issues on that car. That's why I bring it in for them to check is ASAP. Now driving this around for weeks probably made things worse.

What do you guys think? is there anything I should do so I don't have major issues down the road? I don't trust them to maintain the car properly.

Old 03-31-2023, 03:20 PM
Received 151 Likes on 113 Posts

Listening to the clips on my laptop I can't hear anything, that is no doubt due to the tiny speaker on the laptop though. You could try another trip to the dealer and ask to meet with the mechanic and point out the noise you are hearing to them. Also ask them to check what is causing the check engine light. That will tell them something. If you still get nowhere with them the next step after that is to ask to speak with the service manager about it.

Having no real idea what it could be, you might also try checking all the fluid levels to make sure everything is full - especially the oil. That is just a wild guess, but it is easy enough to do.

Good luck.

Last edited by cpq100; 03-31-2023 at 03:26 PM.
Old 03-31-2023, 05:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,226 Likes on 2,380 Posts

Sounds pretty normal for the V6 to me, but maybe just maybe there is some worn coupler rattle.
Hard to tell coz it sounds just like mine and I'm fairly sure my coupler is worn (again!).
Obviously not anything that can be seen without tearing down the SC.
Search the forum for "coupler" and "torsion isolator", heaps of info on this.
But the CEL being on is worrying, a worn coupler just rattles (and "clonks" on shut down) and doesn't throw any codes or a CEL.
Get yourself a decent code reader and it should show what is causing the CEL, a code reader is a must for the F-Type and will save you squillions in unnecessary trips to the dealer.

Old 03-31-2023, 07:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 992 Likes on 742 Posts

Definitely find out the code behind the CEL.

Originally Posted by OzXFR
Get yourself a decent code reader and it should show what is causing the CEL, a code reader is a must for the F-Type and will save you squillions in unnecessary trips to the dealer.
If you do get a reader, depending on which one you may need to become familiar with the "battery reset" procedure. It's easy once you know the drill.

Old 04-01-2023, 03:41 AM
Received 136 Likes on 84 Posts

You definitely need to get them to stick their laptop on to find out why the check light is on, but the rattle needs listening to live by a mechanic. It could just be a loose bafffle in the exhaust (I have one and it rattles when I start it)

Old 04-03-2023, 01:10 PM

Update!

Thanks to everyone who answered. I went to see JLR today and they seemed motivated to find the issue. I didn't need to press them. They got back to me a few hrs later saying the catalytic converter is broken. It's under extended warrenty so they'll fix it this week.

@dibbyandco I made sure to point out it could either be the engine or the exhaust this time.

I'm not sure how come they did not mention it last time, but I'm glad it's going to get fixed.

Once I get the car back I'm going to make sure the noise is gone and that it's not the coupler. I'm also getting myself a code reader.

That supercharger issue is worrying. My friend that knows a bit of mechanic said something was definitely wrong because it sounded like a diesel engine. That thread starts by mentioning the exact same thing.

Old 04-03-2023, 02:09 PM

@OzXFR Funny, I'm looking at which OBD2 to buy and you show up. I ended up buying an ELM327. Thanks

Old 04-03-2023, 09:43 PM
Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

In general, these are noisy engines, and many of the noises do get louder over time. I just turned 30K miles and the underhood rattles are in full swing! It makes finding real problems that much more difficult.

The following users liked this post:
OzXFR (04-03-2023)
Old 04-04-2023, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by cujet
In general, these are noisy engines, and many of the noises do get louder over time. I just turned 30K miles and the underhood rattles are in full swing! It makes finding real problems that much more difficult.
Makes sense. I just hit 31k myself.

Old 04-11-2023, 03:08 PM

A quick update if anyone has the same issue one day. I wanted to confirm it was indeed the cat. JLR changed it under CPO. No more issues.

Old 04-11-2023, 03:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,261 Likes on 1,366 Posts

Originally Posted by Rosath
A quick update if anyone has the same issue one day. I wanted to confirm it was indeed the cat. JLR changed it under CPO. No more issues.

Good…thanks for reporting this. It would be a good idea to put SOLVED in the thread title, because the existing title is no longer accurate, and unfairly discredits your dealer/JLR. Does the moderator look after title changes?

Old 04-11-2023, 04:04 PM

I'm willing to do that, however, I can no longer edit my thread. Maybe a mod can do so.