Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear brake light wire

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2020, 04:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 319 Posts
Default Rear brake light wire

So want to tap into the rear brake light wire on my f type, don't want to go down the route of taking off the bumper to take out the light, going to try and access it from inside the boot, just got an example picture of the rear light unit seems the part i have highlighted with the arrow seems to be a twist type fitting , for the brake light bulb I would say. Has anyone ever done this,

Old 04-03-2020, 11:57 AM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I looked around the forums for an answer this is and couldn't. Been hoping for an answer to install a aftermarket rear camera

Old 04-03-2020, 01:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 319 Posts

Got this from a F-type owner on another fourm and The arrow does point to a twist off part BUT it's not for the brake light bulb. The whole unit is LED lights and a sealed unit There are no bulbs you can change.The violet/orange wire is brake light for the left as, grey/brown for right, will see can I get through by means of the boot,
devmen to gain easy access to the rear lamp you need to take of the bumper to take it off, im going to try the inside route.

Last edited by powerhouse; 04-03-2020 at 01:32 PM.
Old 04-03-2020, 02:35 PM
Received 134 Likes on 74 Posts
Default Backup camera

Frank here, my16 s coupe, I wanted a backup camera and chose a TypeS (,no pun intended). It's solar powered, wireless (no drilling or splicing wires) and power is by cigarette lighter on center panel. It has a viewing monitor that automatically pairs with license plate frame. I usually don't need it but when necessary it's there for viewing. I just take the monitor from my side door compartment plug in the connection put monitor on ledge of info center and voila I can see what's behind me. Rear view is very good. They claim solar will recharge battery (,in license plate frame,) in two hours of sun light. Installed in December so? I can say that after start up charge of 4 hours, my battery lasted 4 months without daily use and with being out in the sun. For my limited use it fits my purpose. It's on YouTube. Good luck with whatever you decide.
Frank my16 s storm grey coupe, brogue performance seats and ivory stitching

Old 04-04-2020, 02:27 PM

Thanks Frank, I will definitely take a look into the Type S product lines. I was thinking about accessing the brake lights to power a rear camera, but I think if I can access the reverse lights (in the valance) that would be better .

Old 04-04-2020, 05:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 263 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by devmen
Thanks Frank, I will definitely take a look into the Type S product lines. I was thinking about accessing the brake lights to power a rear camera, but I think if I can access the reverse lights (in the valance) that would be better .
You may want to make sure you get 12 volts to the brake lights as it may be a ground instead. I seem to remember a few years ago we had to install a relay to give the camera a 12 volt feed.

Old 04-04-2020, 07:59 PM
Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by devmen
I bought one of the Type S solar cameras. It worked well, but I just couldn't get past two things, 1) the rather bulky, awkward solar panel you have for a rear licence plate holder, and 2) I could live with #1 but the whole extra monitor thing bugged the crap out of me. I already have my cell phone in the car for easy viewing for everything else, why couldn't they just develop an app for the phone that does the blue tooth connection to the rear solar camera? Why do I need to hook up an extra monitor every time I want to back up the car?

Good luck devman, I hope you can share if you have success.

Old 04-04-2020, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by rbsj
I bought one of the Type S solar cameras. It worked well, but I just couldn't get past two things, 1) the rather bulky, awkward solar panel you have for a rear licence plate holder, and 2) I could live with #1 but the whole extra monitor thing bugged the crap out of me. I already have my cell phone in the car for easy viewing for everything else, why couldn't they just develop an app for the phone that does the blue tooth connection to the rear solar camera? Why do I need to hook up an extra monitor every time I want to back up the car?

Good luck devman, I hope you can share if you have success.
They have a App View version, it's still a rather bulky camera as well. I have actually use an iPad pro instead of my infotainment system (except when I need to change devices) so I'm looking for something to connect to the iPad. So the criteria are 1. iOS view 2. Engages when I put it into reverse. Might be a tough find.