F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear diff fluid leak?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2016, 08:15 PM
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I have the same exact drops in the same spot. From this thread alone seems to be a fairly common occurrence. My exhaust was also replaced a few thousand miles ago due to a squeak but I'm pretty sure I remember the same spots before and after.

Old 09-08-2016, 09:01 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine is definitely not water as I checked it after being away all day and the drops are still wet on the ground. Water would have long evaporated.

Dealer said they are ordering parts but didn't specify which parts so I'll have to get another appointment when the parts arrive.

Old 09-09-2016, 06:48 AM
Received 176 Likes on 132 Posts

When I took auto mechanics in high school a couple hundred years ago, our teacher made us taste every one of the fluids in a car. After that, I can tell by taste what it is and if it's still good. Try it for your leak. I likely won't kill you. Oil tastes very different than water.

The following users liked this post:
Burt Gummer (07-24-2017)
Old 09-09-2016, 10:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by Dogbreath!
When I took auto mechanics in high school a couple hundred years ago, our teacher made us taste every one of the fluids in a car. After that, I can tell by taste what it is and if it's still good. Try it for your leak. I likely won't kill you. Oil tastes very different than water.
Just touch a drop to the tip of your tongue. Very easy to distinguish between water, coolant, oil, gear lube, battery acid, washer fluid. More difficult to tell the difference between brake fluid and motor oil, but the color usually gives it away. My dad taught how to do this without killing myself: DON'T SWALLOW!

lol

Old 09-09-2016, 10:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 984 Likes on 735 Posts

Originally Posted by Dogbreath!
I cannot recommend this approach. Some of these fluids are toxic.

See what color it is, touch it and rub it between your fingertips, and try to rinse it away with water.

Water is, or course, water soluble.
Brake fluid is water soluble, and feels slippery.
Coolant is water soluble, and probably the same color as the coolant still in the system
Oil is not water soluble.

Of the oils, note where the leak is. There is engine, transmission, and differential oil. The location of the leak is usually instructive, although it may be from somewhere above or forward of where it drops to the ground.

Water leaking from an exhaust system will typically either be blackish (soot) or reddish (rust). Stainless exhaust systems won't show the rust. The sooty water is from startup. Once the pipes are hot that will stop.

Old 09-13-2016, 10:18 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Today i was by the dealer and he said this leaking is normal. It is water and soot. Everyside has a small whole in the pipe.

JagAlb (12-17-2017)
Old 10-04-2016, 11:04 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Update...

Parts came, service completed. Dealer found that pinion seal was leaking. Replaced defective pinion seal and refilled with fresh gear oil.

QTY FP-NUMBER DESCRIPTION
1 C2C41650 SEAL-OIL PINION
2 C2D3650 OIL-FINAL DRIVE

Will need some time to see if it is fixed.

Last edited by nonsns3; 10-04-2016 at 11:17 PM.
Unhingd (10-05-2016)
Old 06-26-2017, 07:23 PM
Received 85 Likes on 51 Posts

Heyyyyyy, I got that same spot in the same place
As long as its not the differential, I'll have it looked at next time its in the air.

Old 12-12-2017, 04:33 PM
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

I just pulled her out of the garage for a clean up and noticed an oil spot. Yes its oil, I smelled it and rubbed it between my fingers. Definitely the stink of differential oil, I also crawled under her and found the leak. Its differential fluid leaking around what looks to be around the pumpkin. 5k miles, and it was just in for service...not that I am suspicious but...

Old 12-12-2017, 06:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,383 Likes on 1,609 Posts
Old 12-14-2017, 06:49 AM
Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts

I had the same leak about a year ago at 8k miles. I to thought it was just exhaust sut but it ended up being my rear end. They fixed it under warranty and no more leaks since.

Old 12-19-2017, 09:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 157 Likes on 129 Posts

It sounds like about 50% of these are exhaust soot and condensation and 50% appear to have been the more serious leaking differential. I noticed a similar spot under the rear of my car with less than 1,100 miles on it. I also just happened to have needed to have taken it in for that issue. Did so and the SA confirmed that the rear differential on mine showed no signs of any leaks so he stated that mine are due to exhaust condensation. He stated that this is likely due to "short trips" where the exhaust doesn't have time to fully heat up and evaporate.

Old 12-19-2017, 11:40 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ndabunka
It sounds like about 50% of these are exhaust soot and condensation and 50% appear to have been the more serious leaking differential. I noticed a similar spot under the rear of my car with less than 1,100 miles on it. I also just happened to have needed to have taken it in for that issue. Did so and the SA confirmed that the rear differential on mine showed no signs of any leaks so he stated that mine are due to exhaust condensation. He stated that this is likely due to "short trips" where the exhaust doesn't have time to fully heat up and evaporate.
There is actually a small hole in each of the pipes leading to the muffler where sooty water is expected to drain.

Old 12-20-2017, 09:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 157 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
There is actually a small hole in each of the pipes leading to the muffler where sooty water is expected to drain.
I would have thought that an exhaust system would have gotten so hot that drainage of "water" would not be an issue. The car is parked 100% of the time within a climate-controlled garage so it's not like there is a ton of moisture from the outside seeping into the exhaust system. I also would have expected that a 5 minute "grocery run" would have heated the catalytic converter as well as the balance of the exhaust to the point where no water vapor could have been retained to "drain" through such a hole. I guess I am still learning what is what on this one

Old 12-20-2017, 03:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,383 Likes on 1,609 Posts

I also would have expected that a 5 minute "grocery run" would have heated the catalytic converter as well as the balance of the exhaust to the point where no water vapor could have been retained to "drain" through such a hole. I guess I am still learning what is what on this one
As Click&Clack would often say, if you buy a car from an old lady who only drove it to the grocery store, the first thing you will want to do is replace the entire exhaust.

No 5 minutes is not enough, worse its adding to the problem, thus compounding.

Jaguar's research must have shown that most of us drive like grandma.

Old 12-20-2017, 06:06 PM
Veteran Member

I would have thought that an exhaust system would have gotten so hot that drainage of "water" would not be an issue. The car is parked 100% of the time within a climate-controlled garage so it's not like there is a ton of moisture from the outside seeping into the exhaust system. I also would have expected that a 5 minute "grocery run" would have heated the catalytic converter as well as the balance of the exhaust to the point where no water vapor could have been retained to "drain" through such a hole. I guess I am still learning what is what on this one
One of the byproducts of an internal combustion engine is water. If you don’t get the exhaust system heated red hot, water will accumulate in the exhaust system.

ndabunka (12-21-2017)
Old 01-03-2018, 04:35 PM

Just got word, pinion seal was leaking. The new one includes a flange, so there must have been knowledge that the basic seal wasnt going to cut it.

Old 01-29-2018, 09:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leaking differential

Mine is in the workshop now with the Seal gone between the prop shaft and the diff,, only done 17k miles,, bit of a worry as may have been leaking a month or two.

Anyone know if there is a low level sensor for the Diff oil,,, any one else suffering with warranty work like this ?

Old 01-29-2018, 10:59 AM

There is no sensor for diff fluid, at least none that I am aware of. I do know when my was replaced, I was concerned as well about the lack of fluid in the diff. If yours is anything like mine, it leaked and then it seemed to stop. Which indicated to me it was low, but not empty.

I would assume if there was a failure in the future, we could refer to this event and have JLR pay for any damages.

Old 01-29-2018, 03:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Type R leaking different,

Originally Posted by mwinner
I just pulled her out of the garage for a clean up and noticed an oil spot. Yes its oil, I smelled it and rubbed it between my fingers. Definitely the stink of differential oil, I also crawled under her and found the leak. Its differential fluid leaking around what looks to be around the pumpkin. 5k miles, and it was just in for service...not that I am suspicious but...
Mine was serviced recently too, is any work done to the diff I wonder,,

Quick Reply: Rear diff fluid leak?