F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Fog Lights

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2015, 07:31 PM
Received 114 Likes on 77 Posts
Default Rear Fog Lights

Was on my way to Napa and hit very dense fog near Carquinez Straits. Put on my lights and rear fog lights for the first time any NO ONE PLOWED INTO ME

Old 10-11-2015, 09:48 PM
Received 178 Likes on 87 Posts

I used this feature a few times earlier this year while driving during the day in very heavy fog. I live one town over from Napa and we get some seriously dangerous fog at times. Having a black car, it definitely added some peace of mind and did a good job of keeping people back. The visibility was so bad that I wished I had radar to see cars in front of me. Not a fun situation.

Old 10-11-2015, 09:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by jmfan
The visibility was so bad that I wished I had radar to see cars in front of me. Not a fun situation.
That's what the "P" button is for that comes with the visibility pack.

Old 10-11-2015, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by lhoboy
I have this feature and use it all the time when parking. I never thought about using it while driving in low visibility situations, which could be helpful up to 10 mph before it turns off.

Old 10-12-2015, 06:47 AM
Veteran Member

I have this feature and use it all the time when parking. I never thought about using it while driving in low visibility situations, which could be helpful up to 10 mph before it turns off.
I was just joking. It only begins detecting things when you are about 5 or 6 feet away. If your visibility is less than that, you ought to seriously think about pulling off and parking it.

Old 10-12-2015, 10:17 AM

I was just joking. It only begins detecting things when you are about 5 or 6 feet away. If your visibility is less than that, you ought to seriously think about pulling off and parking it.
I fully understand and the sensors do definitely have limitations. Your comment got me thinking that this might have been helpful in one of the situations where I feared for my life.

Old 10-12-2015, 11:28 AM
Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

While I know you are joking, I've actually used the intelligent cruise control in my BMW in dense fog for this purpose. The radar can "see" the cars ahead of me even if I cannot and insures that I don't get too close.

Its one of the things I miss in the FTR, but I try to avoid driving in dense fog so hopefully it won't come up.

Old 10-12-2015, 02:04 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Merlin
While I know you are joking, I've actually used the intelligent cruise control in my BMW in dense fog for this purpose. The radar can "see" the cars ahead of me even if I cannot and insures that I don't get too close.

Its one of the things I miss in the FTR, but I try to avoid driving in dense fog so hopefully it won't come up.
That sounds like a useful application of that technology.

Old 10-21-2015, 09:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts

I used this feature a few times earlier this year while driving during the day in very heavy fog. I live one town over from Napa and we get some seriously dangerous fog at times. Having a black car, it definitely added some peace of mind and did a good job of keeping people back. The visibility was so bad that I wished I had radar to see cars in front of me. Not a fun situation.
I guess I should put this in the "what I learned today". I was always wondering why I couldn't see any difference in forward lighting. LOL

Old 10-21-2015, 06:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 724 Likes on 499 Posts

The only downside to the fog light feature is the placement of the switch. its just below the truck release on my vert and when not being extra careful its easy to hit the wrong button inadvertently.

Old 10-21-2015, 06:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 295 Likes on 233 Posts

I can say that I have never previously owned a vehicle with rear fog lights. I imagine that it might be a safety feature for any vehicle BEHIND you in foggy conditions, but it certainly does nothing for my view (front or rear)

Old 10-21-2015, 06:58 PM
Veteran Member

I had a rear fog light in my old Volvo and i liked having just the slightly increased visibility to cars coming up behind me. As for front fogs Ive never had any that I thought really helped much. Until they put real laser range finding or radar with a heads up visual of the road and surroundings I'm always going dread driving in very foggy conditions.

Old 10-21-2015, 07:00 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by TXJagR
I can say that I have never previously owned a vehicle with rear fog lights. I imagine that it might be a safety feature for any vehicle BEHIND you in foggy conditions, but it certainly does nothing for my view (front or rear)
I've used it to ward off tailgaters without having to tap the brakes on my MINI , but the switch on the F-Type is inconveniently located (right next to the trunk switch on the coupe). It does , however,give a sense of security in heavy rain and fog that the car behind you can see you.

Old 10-21-2015, 07:02 PM
Veteran Member

trunk not "truck" but then again I should have typed "boot". Silly American I am

Old 10-21-2015, 07:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

In my experience, front fog lights have always been next to worthless in terms improving vision enough to avoid rear-ending someone or something.

Audi, among others, have had rear fogs for years. They are very bright and effective for allowing someone to see you ahead. They really are an important safety innovation, but most drivers are too clueless to turn them on.

Old 10-21-2015, 07:13 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Foosh
In my experience, front fog lights have always been next to worthless in terms improving vision enough to avoid rear-ending someone or something.

Audi, among others, have had rear fogs for years. They are very bright and effective for allowing someone to see you ahead. They really are an important safety innovation, but most drivers are too clueless to turn them on.
I totally agree about too many drivers being clueless. (I was one of them) Perhaps there should be a connection between rear fog lights and wipers? (might not always help for just fog, but quite often I use my wipers in foggy condition) I think many drivers simply don't think about rear fog lights because they make no discernable difference for the driver, who should be most frequently looking forward!

Old 10-21-2015, 07:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

I totally agree about too many drivers being clueless. (I was one of them) Perhaps there should be a connection between rear fog lights and wipers? (might not always help for just fog, but quite often I use my wipers in foggy condition) I think many drivers simply don't think about rear fog lights because they make no discernable difference for the driver, who should be most frequently looking forward!
They make a discernible difference to this driver and my preference to not be rear-ended in poor visibility. I use them all the time in the rain.

Old 10-21-2015, 07:37 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Foosh
They make a discernible difference to this driver and my preference to not be rear-ended in poor visibility. I use them all the time in the rain.
If you drive fast enough you won't be rear ended!

Old 10-21-2015, 07:50 PM
Received 101 Likes on 71 Posts

Fog lights are for just that, the FOG.
People who use them in the rain just blind everyone and that includes you Foosh

Old 10-21-2015, 07:54 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Timbo
Fog lights are for just that, the FOG.
People who use them in the rain just blind everyone and that includes you Foosh
Frequently fog and rain occur together. (At least a light mist) Also, many fog lights have a slightly yellow tint to prevent the blinding of other drivers.

(Of course, if we're talking about REAR fog lights, blinding the guy behind me might not be a bad idea if it forces him to drop back a little ways and stop tailgating me!)

Quick Reply: Rear Fog Lights