F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear License Plate Light Change

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2022 | 08:19 AM
|
Default Rear License Plate Light Change

Hi all. As title suggests, I need some advice (or even a tutorial) on how to change the rear licence plate light as the left one has suddenly died. The only guides I can currently find are for the XF where they have a gap for you to insert a tool and maniupulate the 'spring clip' and remove the light without any disassembly. For the F-type no such gap exists and the space between the trim and the light is too tight to fit any tool. Do you need to pop the 4x screw covers and remove the whole trim/setup to get access to the spring clip to replace the light?

Thanks in advance.

Old 01-11-2022 | 11:43 AM

Yes you have to remove the 4 torx under the caps and remove the whole trim/setup then you can depress the spring from the inside to remove the light from the outside of the trim. Incidentally I could not find an OEM replacement light, Jaguar only sells the whole trim piece with the two lights and trunk switch for $115 if I remember. Some OEM websites show just the light part number but when I went to order just the light, the order sat forever, and I was told it was en route, then not, then, they don’t sell just the light anymore. On the positive side I removed the light that had water in it, it dried out and started working again. It seems it is an LED so I was not sure moisture would have ruined it like it would burn out an incandescent bulb. It’s been working ever since.
Just be cautious if you remove that trim, and shut the boot, without the boot switch attached who knows if the car will be unhappy and not let you pop the boot from the inside.

There may be after market replacements available, I didn’t try.

Old 01-12-2022 | 07:01 AM
|

Originally Posted by SS4PK
Yes you have to remove the 4 torx under the caps and remove the whole trim/setup then you can depress the spring from the inside to remove the light from the outside of the trim. Incidentally I could not find an OEM replacement light, Jaguar only sells the whole trim piece with the two lights and trunk switch for $115 if I remember. Some OEM websites show just the light part number but when I went to order just the light, the order sat forever, and I was told it was en route, then not, then, they don’t sell just the light anymore. On the positive side I removed the light that had water in it, it dried out and started working again. It seems it is an LED so I was not sure moisture would have ruined it like it would burn out an incandescent bulb. It’s been working ever since.
Just be cautious if you remove that trim, and shut the boot, without the boot switch attached who knows if the car will be unhappy and not let you pop the boot from the inside.

There may be after market replacements available, I didn’t try.
Thanks for the advice. I manned-up and went at it. Popping the 4x screw covers was scary due to the plastic trim being stupidly soft. Once they were out, dropping the torx screws was easy. The most difficult part about the job was removing the power 'plug' from the old light and getting it back into the new one! I don't know who decided to make it that tight! I had to use the pliers on my multitool to jiggle the thing out and use the jaws to compress it back in to the new light.

On inspecting the old light, it's got a lot of mold/growth of somekind in the light itself with a fair old bit of water sloshing around. The power 'plug' was also wet. I was surprised that it even worked on the new light.

Again, thanks for the help!