Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rear spoiler alignment

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2019, 04:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 593 Likes on 318 Posts
Default rear spoiler alignment

ok talk about jaguar panel alignment, how do i sort this, I know how to adjust the spoiler from closing to much but how do I sort this side alignment as per arrows, big difference from one side to another

Old 10-08-2019, 07:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,209 Likes on 2,366 Posts

You need to loosen off the four spoiler mounting bolts from underneath (two each side) then nudge the spoiler over a gnat's wotsit until it lines up nice and even.
Don't loosen the bolts right off, just enough so you can move the spoiler but it is still held reasonably firm.
You will probably need a bit of trial and error which means lowering the hatch after each adjustment and checking the fit/alignment and then doing some more nudging and checking until you are happy it is perfect, then do the four bolts up good and tight.
The bolts are under the two oval shaped plugs on the underside of the hatch, you need to "untuck" the rubber surrounds on them (I used a trim removal tool) then you can flip the plugs out (again I used a trim removal tool).

The following 2 users liked this post by OzXFR:
Carbuff2 (10-09-2019), powerhouse (10-09-2019)
Old 10-10-2019, 07:01 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by OzXFR
You need to loosen off the four spoiler mounting bolts from underneath (two each side) then nudge the spoiler over a gnat's wotsit until it lines up nice and even.
Don't loosen the bolts right off, just enough so you can move the spoiler but it is still held reasonably firm.
You will probably need a bit of trial and error which means lowering the hatch after each adjustment and checking the fit/alignment and then doing some more nudging and checking until you are happy it is perfect, then do the four bolts up good and tight.
The bolts are under the two oval shaped plugs on the underside of the hatch, you need to "untuck" the rubber surrounds on them (I used a trim removal tool) then you can flip the plugs out (again I used a trim removal tool).
thanks OzXFR for the tip on the spoiler, sorted, I loosened out the two rubbers that adjust the hatch closing , can’t adjust them anymore or they’ll fall out. , still not flush any suggestions for that

Old 10-10-2019, 07:46 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by powerhouse
thanks OzXFR for the tip on the spoiler, sorted, I loosened out the two rubbers that adjust the hatch closing , can’t adjust them anymore or they’ll fall out. , still not flush any suggestions for that
It looks like your spoiler needs to come up around 1 mm on the LHS and about 2 mm on the RHS.
I had the same problem on the LHS, it was about 2 mm low, while the RHS was pretty good.
I found that screwing out the rubber/spring made very little difference, so I tried something else and it worked.
I raised the LHS by pulling out the round "plug" or stopper on the inside of the hatch that the rubber/spring butts up against (just use a trim clip puller tool), putting three maybe four layers of Velcro (the smooth side) on the underside of the plug - punch a hole in the middle of each piece, stick it on the plug over the "prong" then trim the excess off with scissors - then push/tap the plug back in place.
I found that after a few days the spoiler dropped a little again, maybe a mm, I guess due to the Velcro being compressed, so I whacked another piece on the plug and that fixed it permanently.
If that doesn't work for you there is one more thing you can try - remove the rearmost spoiler mounting bolt and slide one or two 1 mm thick washers between the mounting bracket and the spoiler lid (ie so the washer is packing out the lid), then refit the bolt. The problem with this method is that it may raise the spoiler lid up too high at the window end so that it ends up sticking up above the level of the surrounding panel, but worth a try if all else fails.

Last edited by OzXFR; 10-10-2019 at 07:58 AM.
Old 10-10-2019, 09:11 AM
Veteran Member

It looks like your spoiler needs to come up around 1 mm on the LHS and about 2 mm on the RHS.
I had the same problem on the LHS, it was about 2 mm low, while the RHS was pretty good.
I found that screwing out the rubber/spring made very little difference, so I tried something else and it worked.
I raised the LHS by pulling out the round "plug" or stopper on the inside of the hatch that the rubber/spring butts up against (just use a trim clip puller tool), putting three maybe four layers of Velcro (the smooth side) on the underside of the plug - punch a hole in the middle of each piece, stick it on the plug over the "prong" then trim the excess off with scissors - then push/tap the plug back in place.
I found that after a few days the spoiler dropped a little again, maybe a mm, I guess due to the Velcro being compressed, so I whacked another piece on the plug and that fixed it permanently.
If that doesn't work for you there is one more thing you can try - remove the rearmost spoiler mounting bolt and slide one or two 1 mm thick washers between the mounting bracket and the spoiler lid (ie so the washer is packing out the lid), then refit the bolt. The problem with this method is that it may raise the spoiler lid up too high at the window end so that it ends up sticking up above the level of the surrounding panel, but worth a try if all else fails.
Just did the velcro trick, brilliant everything sorted, cheers

The following users liked this post:
Carbuff2 (10-10-2019)
Old 10-10-2019, 07:23 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by powerhouse
Just did the velcro trick, brilliant everything sorted, cheers
Glad to be of service!
From what I see in pics on here of the rear end of the coupe almost every single F-Type suffers from poor alignment of the spoiler but it's an easy fix.

Old 10-14-2019, 05:48 PM
Veteran Member

Update, mainly for peppersam740 who pm'ed me about this.
Going from memory now but I think I left out a vital step!
I'm not entirely sure but I *think* those four spoiler mounting bolts are covered by little plastic clip-on covers.
You have to raise the spoiler first and remove those covers before you can access the mounting bolts from underneath.
The covers push off real easy, from inside to outside IIRC.
If I'm right that should mean that you can adjust the fit of the spoiler by doing it this way, ie with the spoiler up, which would be much easier than doing it via the plastic plugs on the underside of the hatch. Or maybe the spoiler doesn't open far enough to allow decent access to the bolts, I dunno.
But I do remember that I had to do it via the underneath plugs coz I wasn't looking to align the spoiler, instead this was the method for permanently disabling the spoiler in the "down" position, and you can't access those mounting bolts any other way if the spoiler is in the down position.