F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear spoiler - real user opinion

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2021, 07:34 AM
Received 141 Likes on 78 Posts
Default Rear spoiler - real user opinion

I am looking for opinions from people who HAVE installed this spoiler available on eBay. I really don’t care if you like the look or not, so please don’t chime in and detract from the purpose of this post. 😁

If you have bought and installed this spoiler, how’s the construction? Was it as easy to install as it looks, any issues? Do you regret installing it? Did you disable the factory raise at 70 mph?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Carbon-Fibe....c100752.m1982

Old 03-20-2021, 07:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by datriani
I am looking for opinions from people who HAVE installed this spoiler available on eBay. I really don’t care if you like the look or not, so please don’t chime in and detract from the purpose of this post. 😁

If you have bought and installed this spoiler, how’s the construction? Was it as easy to install as it looks, any issues? Do you regret installing it? Did you disable the factory raise at 70 mph?

Do you plan on disabling the raising mechanism? If not, that sail will have an aerodynamic impact at over 70mph similar to that of mounting a billboard to the back of your car.

Old 03-20-2021, 07:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 984 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by datriani

I have not personally installed this spoiler, but looked at them and have seen quite a few posts out in the wild, and they seem to look good installed from the picture/posts I have seen. When I was looking at them, it does appear that you will need to drill 4 holes in the spoiler/decklid to secure it...FYI.

You WILL need to disable the the deployable feature on the spoiler if you have this wing on. It can be done with a toggle switch (which will kill it, but you will still get an error), and/or by using SDD software to code it out (which will remove the error message at about 102 MPH ish). There is also the box that comes with the JLR fixed wing, that (if you can find separately) will disable with no errors. And last and most brutal, is to cut the rods on the motor. All of this is documented in my Wing DIY if/when you are ready to do it.

Good luck!
DC

Old 03-20-2021, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Do you plan on disabling the raising mechanism? If not, that sail will have an aerodynamic impact at over 70mph similar to that of mounting a billboard to the back of your car.

yes, I was planning on disabling that mechanism. I was thinking it would be funny (not really) if the spoiler just completely ripped off when hitting 120 mph.

Old 03-20-2021, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by Therock88
I have not personally installed this spoiler, but looked at them and have seen quite a few posts out in the wild, and they seem to look good installed from the picture/posts I have seen. When I was looking at them, it does appear that you will need to drill 4 holes in the spoiler/decklid to secure it...FYI.

You WILL need to disable the the deployable feature on the spoiler if you have this wing on. It can be done with a toggle switch (which will kill it, but you will still get an error), and/or by using SDD software to code it out (which will remove the error message at about 102 MPH ish). There is also the box that comes with the JLR fixed wing, that (if you can find separately) will disable with no errors. And last and most brutal, is to cut the rods on the motor. All of this is documented in my Wing DIY if/when you are ready to do it.

Good luck!
DC

I was thinking of trying to find a used OEM spoiler panel and wrapping that in a carbon fiber wrap IF it doesn’t match my cars paint and drilling holes in that one. I’d like to keep the original spoiler as a spare incase I decide to go back. Thanks DC, I’ll check out that DIY write up.

Old 03-20-2021, 05:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,209 Likes on 2,366 Posts

There is another way to disable the rear spoiler, see here: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...5/#post1614196

Old 03-20-2021, 06:09 PM
Received 297 Likes on 165 Posts

It’s a wing.
The only thing it spoils is the looks.

Old 03-20-2021, 06:41 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by OzXFR
There is another way to disable the rear spoiler, see here: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...5/#post1614196
Does that still cause an error at 100+? Or do you know?. I think that is why some cut the rod, because the car still thinks it is raising the spoiler.. If this prevents the error, that is great!

DC

Old 03-20-2021, 06:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,209 Likes on 2,366 Posts

Originally Posted by Therock88
Does that still cause an error at 100+? Or do you know?. I think that is why some cut the rod, because the car still thinks it is raising the spoiler.. If this prevents the error, that is great!

DC
Nup, the error message ("spoiler unavailable") still pops up at exactly 160 km/h / 100 mph.
You can get rid of the message in the usual way but the yellow warning triangle remains until you stop the car, turn it off, then restart.

Old 03-20-2021, 07:52 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by OzXFR
Nup, the error message ("spoiler unavailable") still pops up at exactly 160 km/h / 100 mph.
You can get rid of the message in the usual way but the yellow warning triangle remains until you stop the car, turn it off, then restart.
Got it...Thanks...I thought that might be the case. Unfortunately, when the error is triggered, the car is also limited to 135 MPH / 217 KMH and DSC is automatically switched on until it is cleared again.(Not that this may be a big issue for anyone).

So it appears there are three ways to disable without the error:
- Cut the drive rod on the motor
- Install the Fixed Wing Module
- Disable/remove accessory with SDD

DC